When did you realize D'Onofrio/Golden's defense was a joke?

I'm an optimist, so I wanted to believe...until Louisville. THIS was supposed to be the year. We came into the season with plenty of talent, depth, and experience.

Golden keeps talking about "progress" and d-linemen needing to learn more technique. It's year four. That doesn't fly.

It's just not working.

Advertisement
There wasn't one particular game, although 2012 at Virginia is an excellent nomination. I keep track of certain stats like yards per play. In 2012 we actually got worse than 2011 and allowed above 6 yards per play. Once I watched that number solidify there was no way to justify it. I generally despise the 3 man front so our reluctance to get out of it irritated me beyond description. I'm convinced hybrids don't work at the college level unless the coaching and the personnel are ultra rare. Preferable to keep it simple.

I still think we're improved defensively this season. Nobody wants to hear it but 54 rushes from Nebraska likely would have netted 450 yards last season, not 350. Our big interior guys may not accomplish anything but they don't buckle and get shoved anywhere the lineman wants to take them.

There wasn't one particular game, although 2012 at Virginia is an excellent nomination. I keep track of certain stats like yards per play. In 2012 we actually got worse than 2011 and allowed above 6 yards per play. Once I watched that number solidify there was no way to justify it. I generally despise the 3 man front so our reluctance to get out of it irritated me beyond description. I'm convinced hybrids don't work at the college level unless the coaching and the personnel are ultra rare. Preferable to keep it simple.

I still think we're improved defensively this season. Nobody wants to hear it but 54 rushes from Nebraska likely would have netted 450 yards last season, not 350. Our big interior guys may not accomplish anything but they don't buckle and get shoved anywhere the lineman wants to take them.

Sadly improved still doesn't equate to good. We have seniors now with 4 years in this system, there will be marginal improvement of course, but this system will never be good here.

Advertisement

350 instead of 450 lol. Smh this is now considered improvement. There is no improvement. ....at all. Same crap we heard last season after playing savannah St and USF etc. None of the opponents we have played are any good. It's going to get worse. Just watch

BC 2012 when we made chase rettig look like heisman candidate on the first couple of drives

Advertisement
VT last year was the day it hit me, a sorry *** offense with a below average QB took Doritos D apart.

Advertisement
2012 K state when we got train railed by Snyder. I was in dis belief. I was watching them just run and run and run. I'm.like WTF..this is not my team.we never get blow out like that. But I thought it was a talent gap but seeing this **** live at the bowl game last year I was furious.

VT 2013. That Hokie team was bad and we made them look like world beaters. And that's the problem. Starting 7-0 masked the real cancer if this team, D'no.

Advertisement
Maryland, for real...

The offensive coordinator was Gary crowton, who as anyone who follows football knows he was on a meteoric rise in coaching rans them flamed out when coaches caught on to his dink dunk screen pass galore offense..lsu got rid of him and he lands at Maryland. And defensive coordinator worth their salt would take away what another guy does best... EVERYONE KNOW HIS OFFENSE...

So to my disgust as I am excited to see this new era of football, what do I see? Our defense giving Maryland whatever they want, screening their way downfield, I was truly at a lost for words.. How did we not know what was goin to transpire? I don't think Maryland beat another d1 team all year but I knew then at that moment we had to be dealing with someone who was a special kind of dense.. I have not been proven wrong at all

[]_[]Fan2010;1998146 said:
Game 1 vs Maryland when they ran 372936281 screens and we never adjusted. Not once.

All the other trouncings were just exclamation points.

Not so fast....We did adjust in the second half, even played some man coverage. I can't remember the kids name, but he played corner and got toasted deep late in the 4th quarter. Every since that play we have played in fear as Lu would describe it in the secondary. It was a sign of things to come.

[]_[]Fan2010;1998146 said:
Game 1 vs Maryland when they ran 372936281 screens and we never adjusted. Not once.

All the other trouncings were just exclamation points.

Not so fast....We did adjust in the second half, even played some man coverage. I can't remember the kids name, but he played corner and got toasted deep late in the 4th quarter. Every since that play we have played in fear as Lu would describe it in the secondary. It was a sign of things to come.

It was probably little Mike Williams. A Wake Forest transfer.

Advertisement
Back