When did the culture Problems start?

Advertisement
Advertisement
There is an incredibly easy answer to this.

The tipping point was the 2004 season, because by this point you had lost a lot of the Butch recruited AND COACHED players and you also lost Chudzinski as the OC. Coker wasn't perfect, but at least he had 2 UM alums as his OC and DC and once Coker started to lose coaches from the Butch era, he didn't replace them with equal/superior guys.

Also, by this point, you had a couple of significant changes on the recruiting side. First, this was the rise of the "internet ratings systems" and the Rivals/Scout class rankings. A lot of our coaches started to recruit from the office, instead of getting out and seeing kids in person. Also (as has happened at other times in UM's history), we had a lot of recruits who came to Miami EXPECTING to go undefeated, and who didn't understand how to work hard to create their own legacies. The kids who just assumed that they would be playing for conference and national championships.

By the time that Coker realized that things were getting away from him (including having to replace Greg Mark mid-season, though there were also some personal issues involved there), it was really too late. We had entitled players, we did not have the same strong coaching staff, and we didn't have anyone who knew how to restore things the way that Butch knew how to restore things.

Also, in complete honesty...2004 was the year we signed Willie Williams. Now, I don't hate the kid, but the way that he turned recruiting into such a clown show, with no real repercussions (we still admitted him) was a serious turning point. People want to yap about "Manny shouldn't have taken JT-4 back", but it was much worse what happened with WW.

2004. Willie Williams. Dan Werner. Entitled players. Seventh Floor Crew didn't happen until 2005, but the players and attitude that led to that was already in place in 2004.

PS - 2004 recruiting class was ranked #3 by Rivals, and then 2005 immediately went down to #10. 2006 class was ranked #14. 2007 class was ranked #22. Yes, Randy got us back to #2 in 2008 with a MASSIVE signing class, and we have not been back to the Top 5 since.
Excellent post.

Idk if it's really a culture problem but more a lack of alpha dog leaders in the locker room keeping everyone in check. When's the last time we had a guy on the team that all the other players feared?

When Kyle Wright threw that pass into triple coverage vs Georgia Tech in 2005.
Wouldn't count this as a culture issue, but I 100% feel u that this is where everything went wrong. ****.. **** it, maybe it was a culture issue for him to throw that stupid *** pass in triple coverage on first ******* down deep in tech territory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Some truth to that, for sure. Though, ironically, I'd argue it began with Ed's very own group of players. While they did it for the right reason re that year's squad, the culture of "cater to the players/the players run the show" began with that 2001 team when they marched into the athletic department and demanded that Coker be internally promoted instead of bringing in Alvarez. Again, it was the right call for them as it lead to our last natty (solely because that group was THAT special). But, IMO, those are the seeds that grew into what we're wrestling with today. The 7th Floor Crew stuff was just an extreme manifestation of a player-run program already completely out of control by that point.
I feel like **** asking this question. Let's say they didn't march in and just let the school pick the new coach. Some players like ed and mckinnie and rumph said they might of left.
Wasn’t that the game we won by some absurd score (especially by the lower scoring standards of the time) like 56-45 or 59-45?

The defense seemed off in that game, although the offense was great.

Not really sure why you’d cite that game in particular.

If you want to cite a 2002 game, you should cite the Rutgers game where we would have been down 24-7 going into the 4th quarter if the refs hadn’t completely made up a PI call just because they wanted a Big East team in the national title game. Watching the replays, I can’t even tell where the Rutgers guy touched a Miami guy.

That team’s lone win was was over 0-13 Army. They lost by over 21 points to Villanova and 1-11 Buffalo.
The Rutgers game really opened my eyes.... If they didn't call that pick 6 back, Maaaan, I don't know about that game..... No ******* way we should of been in a game with them that year. That was eye opening.

The Rutgers game really opened my eyes.... If they didn't call that pick 6 back, Maaaan, I don't know about that game..... No ******* way we should of been in a game with them that year. That was eye opening.

All else being equal, Miami would have beaten Rutgers 35-24 if it weren't for the Pick Six call. The only way Miami would have lost was if the call caused the nature of the rest of the game to change. It still would have been a ridiculous win.

Advertisement
CNrw75KXAAEZld5
This is so F-ed up that CaneinOrlando can't even fathom this Sh*t...

Wasn’t that the game we won by some absurd score (especially by the lower scoring standards of the time) like 56-45 or 59-45?

The defense seemed off in that game, although the offense was great.

Not really sure why you’d cite that game in particular.

If you want to cite a 2002 game, you should cite the Rutgers game where we would have been down 24-7 going into the 4th quarter if the refs hadn’t completely made up a PI call just because they wanted a Big East team in the national title game. Watching the replays, I can’t even tell where the Rutgers guy touched a Miami guy.

That team’s lone win was was over 0-13 Army. They lost by over 21 points to Villanova and 1-11 Buffalo.
Go away troll....

Advertisement
Need fights at practice to fix , poon tears mindset.....

Never forgot mine 45 plus years ago with Nick Chickillo , I made a loud comment at practice after a play on D saying OH RUNNING A LITTLE LATE I SEE CHICK next thing I knew I was picked up and pile driven to the dirt.
Just a beautiful awesome fight helmets torn off thrown black eyes , everyone stayed clear scared to jump in with the big boys , finally tuckered out got back in the huddle looked at each other and LOAO BIG TIME......GOD I MISS THAT STUFF ,became team captions after that battle..

There is an incredibly easy answer to this.

The tipping point was the 2004 season, because by this point you had lost a lot of the Butch recruited AND COACHED players and you also lost Chudzinski as the OC. Coker wasn't perfect, but at least he had 2 UM alums as his OC and DC and once Coker started to lose coaches from the Butch era, he didn't replace them with equal/superior guys.

Also, by this point, you had a couple of significant changes on the recruiting side. First, this was the rise of the "internet ratings systems" and the Rivals/Scout class rankings. A lot of our coaches started to recruit from the office, instead of getting out and seeing kids in person. Also (as has happened at other times in UM's history), we had a lot of recruits who came to Miami EXPECTING to go undefeated, and who didn't understand how to work hard to create their own legacies. The kids who just assumed that they would be playing for conference and national championships.

By the time that Coker realized that things were getting away from him (including having to replace Greg Mark mid-season, though there were also some personal issues involved there), it was really too late. We had entitled players, we did not have the same strong coaching staff, and we didn't have anyone who knew how to restore things the way that Butch knew how to restore things.

Also, in complete honesty...2004 was the year we signed Willie Williams. Now, I don't hate the kid, but the way that he turned recruiting into such a clown show, with no real repercussions (we still admitted him) was a serious turning point. People want to yap about "Manny shouldn't have taken JT-4 back", but it was much worse what happened with WW.

2004. Willie Williams. Dan Werner. Entitled players. Seventh Floor Crew didn't happen until 2005, but the players and attitude that led to that was already in place in 2004.

PS - 2004 recruiting class was ranked #3 by Rivals, and then 2005 immediately went down to #10. 2006 class was ranked #14. 2007 class was ranked #22. Yes, Randy got us back to #2 in 2008 with a MASSIVE signing class, and we have not been back to the Top 5 since.
The Willie Williams fiasco is exactly right. I believe that was the era where the coaches began recruiting with something along the lines of: sign with Miami, play 3 years and go to the NFL.

Well stated

Advertisement
Back