When did the culture Problems start?

Advertisement
CNsaNiXUEAAig61.jpg

Advertisement
Reed said it was around time of 7th Floor Crew stuff, which coincidently aligns with the period of time that the last of Butch's recruits were moving on to the NFL, so I'd venture to guess 2004/2005.

I would argue that Golden did a decent job of fixing that, better than Randy, but the culture he instituted was that of a loser mentality so it didn't exactly benefit us. Plus we sucked.

Richt came in and pushed the Paradise/NFL track record stuff like Coker did because that was all we had in 2016. If things are as bad as Diaz suggests it sounds like it devolved to near Coker levels under Richt.

Last edited:
With Jonathan Harris thinking he was Kevin Williams....And then Butch Davis fixed all that...But the next batch started with Shalala and rinse and repeat Shawnbrey Mcneal thinking he was Clinton Portis

Advertisement
According to Ed Reed. 2005. In his opinion the 7th floor crew stuff started it all.

Some truth to that, for sure. Though, ironically, I'd argue it began with Ed's very own group of players. While they did it for the right reason re that year's squad, the culture of "cater to the players/the players run the show" began with that 2001 team when they marched into the athletic department and demanded that Coker be internally promoted instead of bringing in Alvarez. Again, it was the right call for them as it lead to our last natty (solely because that group was THAT special). But, IMO, those are the seeds that grew into what we're wrestling with today. The 7th Floor Crew stuff was just an extreme manifestation of a player-run program already completely out of control by that point.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Some truth to that, for sure. Though, ironically, I'd argue it began with Ed's very own group of players. While they did it for the right reason re that year's squad, the culture of "cater to the players/the players run the show" began with that 2001 team when they marched into the athletic department and demanded that Coker be internally promoted instead of bringing in Alvarez. Again, it was the right call for them as it lead to our last natty (solely because that group was THAT special). But, IMO, those are the seeds that grew into what we're wrestling with today. The 7th Floor Crew stuff was just an extreme manifestation of a player-run program already completely out of control by that point.
Ed Reed will tell you that Coker wasn’t the problem. I’ll go with Ed’s opinion.

Advertisement
Back