When Coach L Retires...

Legendary1

Recruit
Banned
When the day comes and Coach L retires, do you think Miami would consider Frank Martin from South Carolina? He did get them to the Final 4. Seems like he would take the job if offered with his ties to south Florida.

Advertisement
When the day comes and Coach L retires, do you think Miami would consider Frank Martin from South Carolina? He did get them to the Final 4. Seems like he would take the job if offered with his ties to south Florida.
There is a history here. I don't think The U's executives are interested. I hope that I am wrong. I believe that he would be a good hire for our basketball team, once Coach Jim Larrañaga retires. He is from South FL, having coached at Miami High, and has good contacts in the area.

Miami had the opportunity to hire Frank Martin instead of Coach L, but it was reported that Donna Shalala and some Trustees didn't like his potty mouth and some of his antics. Funny, but true

Advertisement
Advertisement
please explain thanks

Most important thing for me is being able to recruit. I know we're not a hot bed for recruiting in basketball but I like the Miami High ties despite the scandal. I think Frank Martin is a good fit as far as the Miami brand.
As far as basketball, I liked the intensity from his Kansas St. teams and I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I watch USC basketball but that final four run was very special. I can see us and would understand going a slightly cheaper route, however.

Frank Martin's antics as a high school coach here will be so far removed in both time and in Shalala's nonsensical original concern that he absolutely should be the target. If not then I go after Jay Larranaga or promote Caputo.

I bet this isn't a discussion we need to have for at least like 3 more years though.

This may be a cold take

But people really think Larranaga coaches through his entire contract? I bet he doesn't make it past next year with this current trajectory

Advertisement
perhaps after the way this season is playing out in hoops, maybe Jimmy L will retire after this season. Maybe this team needs new direction, there are a lot of issues as have been explained before with this team.

Frank Martin's antics as a high school coach here will be so far removed in both time and in Shalala's nonsensical original concern that he absolutely should be the target. If not then I go after Jay Larranaga or promote Caputo.

I bet this isn't a discussion we need to have for at least like 3 more years though.
Why shoot so low?

Advertisement
Frank Martin is an overrated douchebag that hasn't done much at South Carolina, outside of one magical run. Let's cut the bulls**t, he's crooked, and still manages to be a mediocre coach. He has ONE NCAA appearance in SEVEN YEARS at South Carolina. That's pathetic, and would(and should) get you fired at any school that gives a **** about on court success. We have dumbass Miami fans that want to run off L, and he's done far more at Miami, in a stronger conference than Martin has done at SCar.

When L retires, I'd love to see Miami take a run at a guy like Hoiberg, provided he is available(He most likely won't be). If he isn't, and Randy Bennett is available, he would be my fallback. Miami needs a guy that is a proven teacher, a guy that can get the most out of okay talent. Bennett has done that at a high level throughout his career at St. Marys. There are also some other mid major guys I'd give a call to. I like Jay L., but I think he's tracking for an NBA job. That said, I don't think Blake James would have any kind of search, Chris Caputo will get the job. That's how Blake hires, he's a joke of an AD, and until the BOT cuts the cord, this is what we will be stuck with.

Advertisement
Back