When are ALL ACC teams selected?

Wong has choked many times down the stretch this year. I don't trust him at all late in games.
Well, can't be THAT many times. We are 24-6 after all. And, he still is option #1 for getting the ball to the hoop in crunch time, whether we like it or not. He has the handle to penetrate, shoot it himself/get fouled, or kick it back out to the perimeter. Moreso than any other player.

Advertisement
Let’s be honest we are all nitpicking. All the guys on the starting 5 are good. What we are discussing are good problems in that we would take any of the starting 5 if we were creating a college basketball team. Everyone has favorites based not just on stats but on how that poster likes the game to be played.

If you like:
Inside work, rebounding and strength=Omier
Craftiness, great off hand, and a complete offensive game on 3 levels with very few set plays for him=Miller (my personal favorite)
Incredible athletic ability and an ever improving jump shot=Wooga
Leadership, poise, experience and the ability to take over a game=Wong
Long range shooting, quick triggers ball handling and a good off hand to the basket=Pack

All very good players which is why we are all so excited. But every player at their ages is inconsistent. The luxury is that we have 5 players who can score 20 so we only need 3 to be “on” and we are in every game.

View attachment 232336

It wasn't always pretty but a big CONGRATS to Wong on being named ACC POY!!!

They almost snuck Filipowski on the 1st team.

Will Smith Smh GIF by The Academy Awards

GO CANES!!!
I was off by 4 votes!

I know this is jumping ahead but what are the thoughts on Omier and Pack returning next season? Both a little undersized could hurt draft stock. I don't see either listed on any mock drafts at the moment. Would love to have both back with Wooga, Bensley, and some of the young guys like Watson and Casey taking a step forward. Could be another fun year.

Advertisement
I will add that Omier got the most votes of the third team players and was 1 vote off from tying Hinson (2nd team). But overall the committee don’t matter, we won the acc at the end of the day. Nothing else matters in terms of the ACC
3 players out of the 15 chosen for the three All ACC Teams. Not bad considering there are outstanding players on all 15 teams. Omier missing 2nd Team by one vote is the most disappointing result.

If we had lost to Pitt, Bacot woulda won POY. Shows the power of Duke and Carolina that this would be the case for a player who led his team to a 7th place finish in the ACC.

I know this is jumping ahead but what are the thoughts on Omier and Pack returning next season? Both a little undersized could hurt draft stock. I don't see either listed on any mock drafts at the moment. Would love to have both back with Wooga, Bensley, and some of the young guys like Watson and Casey taking a step forward. Could be another fun year.
I don't think there's a single player on our current roster who is a sure fire 1st round pick in the next NBA draft. Wong is the only one I could possibly see leaving . The rest of those guys should all come back for at least another year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think there's a single player on our current roster who is a sure fire 1st round pick in the next NBA draft. Wong is the only one I could possibly see leaving . The rest of those guys should come back for another at least another year.
As a college coach, that's what you strive to do -- recruit players who are good enough to win for you in college but who aren't slam dunk pro prospects. That's a "sweet spot" Coach L seems adept at hitting often, going back to the Larkin/Kadji team.

2022-2023 ACC Men's Basketball Award Winners​

All-ACC Teams

First Team

Isaiah Wong, Miami, 337
Armando Bacot, North Carolina, 324
Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest, 319
Hunter Tyson, Clemson, 271
Jamarius Burton, Pitt, 262

Second Team
Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 258
Terquavion Smith, NC State, 243
Jarkel Joiner, NC State, 203
Jordan Miller, Miami, 148
Blake Hinson, Pitt, 132

Third Team
Norchad Omier, Miami, 131
PJ Hall, Clemson, 126
Kihei Clark, Virginia, 102
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse, 54
Reece Beekman, Virginia, 54
Here are the "Honorable Mentions" following 3rd Team Honors, and All-Freshman:

Honorable Mention
El Ellis, Louisville, 50
Grant Basile, Virginia Tech, 43
Judah Mintz, Syracuse, 40
Jeremy Roach, Duke, 35
Quinten Post, Boston College, 33
Jayden Gardner, Virginia, 31
RJ Davis, North Carolina, 26
DJ Burns Jr., NC State, 24
Caleb Love, North Carolina, 21

All-Freshman Team
Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 75 votes
Judah Mintz, Syracuse, 72
Tyrese Proctor, Duke, 51
JJ Starling, Notre Dame, 39
Dereck Lively II, Duke, 39

Both Omier and Pack will be back next season. Miller is gone (no more eligibility). The only question is Wong, if he has a big time ACC/NCAA tournament he will most likely test the waters and leave, but if we bow out early -- he'll prob return.

Where tf is El Ellis?? 17 ppg on a terrible team doesn’t even get you a sniff? That dudes a dog. Wish he would transfer to a contender that was losing its highest scoring player and has great NIL opportunities and a great coach…
El Ellis got 50 votes -- 4 behind Edwards and Beekman (the lowest vote getters on the 3rd Team). That's what playing on a horrendous team will do for you.

Advertisement
Both Omier and Pack will be back next season. Miller is gone (no more eligibility). The only question is Wong, if he has a big time ACC/NCAA tournament he will most likely test the waters and leave, but if we bow out early -- he'll prob return.
Would love both those guys back. I have a feeling wong is gone. He's tested nba interest the last two off-season. Would be crazy if he did shock everybody and came back again...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back