What's up with Zion?

Like...I don't see it in him. He's sucked a lot here. Some of the worst OL play I've ever witnessed was him. Even during his periods of being good, he's still got some bad film mixed in. But, to his credit, he's had some good pass blocking film teams will highlight in his evaluation. I don't like him, but I am sure someone will.

He's got the traits...he's always had those. Does it translate to testing? We'll see. Would not shock me if some teams buy in on the potential and have him as a developmental tackle they earmark sometime in the draft. Where? idk. So many variables go into where an OL is drafted.

I'm intrigued to see his workout numbers, particularly his cone and 20 yard shuttle. Let me see this man pop off a sub 4.47 20 yard shuttle and I'll likely change my tune on him very quickly. He's got a good agency working for him that'll likely market him well. Not playing this year is probably in his best interest...you want to limit the bad tape he's got. He would have some bad tape this year.

An offensive lineman should be a really good athlete with traits or should be a master at the craft...Orlando Brown Jr. called it an art form, so has Joe Thomas. Zion isn't Monet out there...but he might be a good enough athlete with traits. We'll see, I guess.

Advertisement
Why would it be sarcasm? Where do I begin how awful he was. Could start with his first two recruiting classes that were an abomination. Had a perfect storm filled with lucky bounces that got us to 10 wins. Literally balls fell in our lap(GT). Got embarrass 3 games to end the year and then got absolutely EMBARRASSED to open the following year against a **** LSU team. Golden brought in some talent and after Richt came, all that got flushed down the toilet. Finished 6-7 with a recurring class in 50’s, no talent on the roster the day he stepped down.
He was the main reason we got an indoor practice facility.

Yep selfishly I wanted Rousseau to play because I thought he'd tear it up one final time and he would be a top 5 pick but I get it. This whole Zion thing is weird as ****. Mario himself said Zion will be ready opening weekend. GM's, scouts, and coaches will want answers and if those answers aren't good enough then no one will touch him in the draft.
I don't think it is weird. An agent, likely Rosenhaus, got in his ear and convinced him this was a good idea. Wouldn't be the first time he has pulled something slimy. It is so poetic for where the program has been for the last 20 years, why it has been that way, and hopefully Mario turning a new page for these issues.

The part that I cannot get past is for all the valid complaints about Mario's coaching this year and his offensive philosophies, there is some serious proof of concept that if you are an OL with NFL aspirations, Mario and Mirabel are two coaches that tend to coach you up and help maximize that first contract. Even accounting for being an impressionable 20 year old, how stupid do you have to be to ignore that. Some people really are their own worst enemies.

Dudes were ragging on Rousseau and he still ended up going in the first round. Zion will absolutely get drafted barring this knee being something degenerative or long term that leads teams to take him off their draft boards.
Man we have dumb fans. He was draft eligible last year. Why wouldn’t he go get drafted last year?

Advertisement
Zion had some trouble with his knee. The Hurricanes are struggling to become bowl eligible so they can play in a crappy bowl game in a crappy city and have a few extra practices.

Could Zion play with his knee and not unnecessarily risk further injury? I don’t know. I’m not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv. But his decision to shut it down is the right bidness decision and college football is a business.
It all depends, if his knee is fine (which i think it probably is) he's soft AF. However, if he's actually injured or seriously at risk of reinjuring it, then he should sit out until healthy.

I don't think it is weird. An agent, likely Rosenhaus, got in his ear and convinced him this was a good idea. Wouldn't be the first time he has pulled something slimy. It is so poetic for where the program has been for the last 20 years, why it has been that way, and hopefully Mario turning a new page for these issues.

The part that I cannot get past is for all the valid complaints about Mario's coaching this year and his offensive philosophies, there is some serious proof of concept that if you are an OL with NFL aspirations, Mario and Mirabel are two coaches that tend to coach you up and help maximize that first contract. Even accounting for being an impressionable 20 year old, how stupid do you have to be to ignore that. Some people really are their own worst enemies.
Yep and as I have stated many times. Zion was the worst OL in 2019 and needs all the film he could get. He has some questions to answers for interested teams.

Yep and as I have stated many times. Zion was the worst OL in 2019 and needs all the film he could get. He has some questions to answers for interested teams.
You don't usually see a guy who would bust his butt to go from 240 to 300 and put in that work just turn it off.

Advertisement
Ya'll don't get scared when you see a bunch of dudes on the '22 roster jump into the portal. It is going to happen, everyone that knows knows it, don't get shook by some of the names you've known for a couple years do it. Casuals are going to be alarmed but don't you be.

One word that accurately describes our off season transfer portal exodus--"Debridement". That is the closest glossary word I could up with that describes what is about to take place in the off-season. We are getting rid of the dead weight, dead tissue, the rot so that the rest of the body can heal. The portal guys leaving were that rot. Actually, it is going to be quite revealing about the gentlemen that leave. Some savvy CiS'er is going to run a list of those that left with video of their effort in games and it's going to all make sense.

It is almost a foregone conclusion that Zion is gone. CMC almost sounds disappointed with Zion when the media ask about him.
How many do you guess?

This is his fourth year here , he was close to leaving last year with 4-5 round grades and he came back. The plan by his camp was to bounce this year and I haven’t heard different. There’s a reason they’ve been careful with the knee.

It doesn’t matter what we think , it’s all about what they believe. They could get their grades at the end of the year and decide to stay in college or even transfer. “IMO” I don’t believe he’ll be here next year regardless.
Wish him well if he leaves, but that would be a huge mistake. Having little to no film after a knee surgery == UDFA.

He'd be better served coming back to improve and to demonstrate that he has overcome his surgery in game competition while finishing his degree.

With NIL, there should be no rush to the NFL for a late round to UDF pickup.

This is where Alonzo and Mario can step in and keep it 100 with him on his future leaving vs staying.

Advertisement
Zion had some trouble with his knee. The Hurricanes are struggling to become bowl eligible so they can play in a crappy bowl game in a crappy city and have a few extra practices.

Could Zion play with his knee and not unnecessarily risk further injury? I don’t know. I’m not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv. But his decision to shut it down is the right bidness decision and college football is a business.
Yeah, makes perfect sense. College football is definitely a business and his is a reasonable business decision. That said, though sounds harsh and could potentially later impact recruiting, I'd advise he and his agent to find another place to do his rehab and pre-combine work. Again, obviously the school has an obligation and Mario is comfortable with what's going on, but it's awkward if Miami medical staff and trainers are investing their time while his agent is advising to bag the season.

How many do you guess?
15-20
I believe we have around 15-20 spots (seniors and other openings from transfers). 5-10 will want to leave and 5-10 will be told they aren't welcome back.

This is how they can sign 24-26 from HS and 6-10 from the portal.

I'd love to see Zion return as I think he is by far our best OL. I also don't want a kid that will quit on the team if he is concerned about his future. Imagine going 10-2 with an ACCCG birth... does Zion back out of the ACCCG knowing we aren't going to make the CFP? We know he isn't going to play in a bowl game.

How many do you guess?
Phew.

I've seen the number "22" tossed out there both here and the recruitment board. Purely a guess at this point but I will probably go with just under that at 20 even. If it's more, I would not be surprised. I think CMC knows who is worth keeping and who is worth pressuring out the door at this point. We could probably put together a list here on CiS and get 90% accurate on it.

Advertisement
15-20
I believe we have around 15-20 spots (seniors and other openings from transfers). 5-10 will want to leave and 5-10 will be told they aren't welcome back.

I'd love to see Zion return as I think he is by far our best OL. I also don't want a kid that will quit on the team if he is concerned about his future. Imagine going 10-2 with an ACCCG birth... does Zion back out of the ACCCG knowing we aren't going to make the CFP? We know he isn't going to play in a bowl game.
Thats a BIG number of transfers...

15-20

I'd tell Huff, Thad, Knighton, Avante Williams, Key Smith, Brinson they aren't welcomed back. There's 6 right there. Many more need to be purged.

Average OL aren’t good pass blockers grading out high most weeks. Average OL don’t get first round or second round projections. Scouts liked him last year but thought he needed another year since he was a true jr. He was a te most of his time in high school so believe it or not they see potential and he’s still pretty new to the position.. Just because some of y’all call him average doesn’t mean he is.

Obviously he won’t be getting drafted high now but a team will grab him at some point purely on potential and value.
That's fair i hear what you're saying and hes graded out well in pass blocking. Do you think it's possible the scouts maybe got him wrong or their evaluations were a little off? I know he was being projected as a first rounder last year but from then i didn't see it that's just my opinion which doesnt matter. I agree i'm sure he will get picked up by someome as a development guy, i just dont think he sticks but i also had faith in noodles coming into his junior year lol.

Here’s the skinny on Zion; here’s a 2 star kid that worked his way to becoming a low 3 star. We were the first P5 to show him love, & that’s b/c our OL recruiting that yr was really trashed.

Zion was thrown to the wolves his first yr, & he quite frankly wasn’t physically able to handle the collegiate level of football. He struggled mightily.

Credit to him to put in the work, & had a 180 Sophomore yr. It was his sophomore yr that he started to get 1st round buzz.

Unfortunately, his Jr yr, while still light yrs better than his Freshman yr, took a step back. He gave up one fewer sack than his sophomore more yr, while playing in more games (Sophomore yr was the Covid season), but he gave up a slew of QB hurries & graded poorly as a run blocking tackle.

That led to most draft reports, pre season, lending him to a 3rd - to early 4th round pick. Now, w/ very limited film this season, I’m wondering where he falls in line, now. His measurable are good, but they r not eye popping like Greg was. Greg had three things working for him that Zion doesn’t have in lending a lasting memory:

1. Age: GR15 was an incredibly young draft prospect, & age plays a role w/ GMs

2. GR15 had an absolutely freakish measurable. U won’t find too many DEs w/ his length & size that could bend, bull rush, & play all along the DL (pause)

3. He had an outstanding one & done yr. Crazy stats that rivaled Chase Young from OSU, the consensus top DE in the nation.

Even w that being said, GR15 was out of sight out of mind, w/ JP15 going above him, b/c it was a ‘what have you done for me lately’ moment. GR15 almost didn’t make the 1st round, regardless if he was looked at as a sure fire 1st rounder in 2019.

With Zion, not only did his draft grade dip from 2020 to 2021, now it’s out of sight, out of mind, too. Imo, this doesn’t bode well for him in the upcoming draft. I think he’ll go maybe the 5th at this point, if he doesn’t come back.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back