What's up with Zion?

I'd tell Huff, Thad, Knighton, Avante Williams, Key Smith, Brinson they aren't welcomed back. There's 6 right there. Many more need to be purged.
Key Smith? - Keep him for kick returns alone!
Thad- sure
A Williams- maybe if he doesn't get on board with learning/working hard
Brinson- too young to determine if he is willing to work hard
Knighton- sure
Huff- another that was a tweener that likely starts at a G5 program

Juniors:
Ousman Traore - if he can't play this year, no way he plays in the future!
Ryan Ragone - please!
Jared Griffith- if he can't play this year, no way he plays in the future!
Peyton Matocha- if he can't play this year, no way he plays in the future!

I like these two but don't know if they will see the field next year IF they aren't seeing it a ton now.
Keontra Smith
Gilbert Frierson

Advertisement
Key Smith? - Keep him for kick returns alone!
Thad- sure
A Williams- maybe if he doesn't get on board with learning/working hard
Brinson- too young to determine if he is willing to work hard
Knighton- sure
Huff- another that was a tweener that likely starts at a G5 program

Juniors:
Ousman Traore - if he can't play this year, no way he plays in the future!
Ryan Ragone - please!
Jared Griffith- if he can't play this year, no way he plays in the future!
Peyton Matocha- if he can't play this year, no way he plays in the future!

I like these two but don't know if they will see the field next year IF they aren't seeing it a ton now.
Keontra Smith
Gilbert Frierson
Key Smith is a little *****. He's soft as **** and runs to mommy when **** hits the fan. Don't want those players here anymore.

Key Smith is a little *****. He's soft as **** and runs to mommy when **** hits the fan. Don't want those players here anymore.
The issue isn't Key Smith... it was with mommy! Most kids talk with their parents. If she really didn't like it, take it up with Mario or Gattis OR transfer post season. If she didn't go public, would you think the same?

The issue isn't Key Smith... it was with mommy! Most kids talk with their parents. If she really didn't like it, take it up with Mario or Gattis OR transfer post season. If she didn't go public, would you think the same?
Yep I see what you are saying.

Here’s the skinny on Zion; here’s a 2 star kid that worked his way to becoming a low 3 star. We were the first P5 to show him love, & that’s b/c our OL recruiting that yr was really trashed.

Zion was thrown to the wolves his first yr, & he quite frankly wasn’t physically able to handle the collegiate level of football. He struggled mightily.

Credit to him to put in the work, & had a 180 Sophomore yr. It was his sophomore yr that he started to get 1st round buzz.

Unfortunately, his Jr yr, while still light yrs better than his Freshman yr, took a step back. He gave up one fewer sack than his sophomore more yr, while playing in more games (Sophomore yr was the Covid season), but he gave up a slew of QB hurries & graded poorly as a run blocking tackle.

That led to most draft reports, pre season, lending him to a 3rd - to early 4th round pick. Now, w/ very limited film this season, I’m wondering where he falls in line, now. His measurable are good, but they r not eye popping like Greg was. Greg had three things working for him that Zion doesn’t have if lending a lasting memory:

1. Age: GR15 was an incredibly young draft prospect, & age plays a role w/ GMs

2. GR15 had an absolutely freakish measurable. U won’t find too many DEs w/ his length & size that could bend, bull rush, & play all along the DL (pause)

3. He had an outstanding one & done yr. Crazy stats that rivaled Chase Young from OSU, the consensus top DE in the nation.

Even w that being said, GR15 was out of sight out of mind, w/ JP15 going above him, b/c it was a what gave you done for me lately. GR15 almost didn’t make the 1st round, regardless he was looked at as a sure fire 1st rounder in 2019.

With Zion, not only did his draft grade dip from 2020 to 2021, now it’s out of sight, out of mind, too. Imo, this doesn’t bode well for him in the upcoming draft. I think he’ll go maybe the 5th at this point, if he doesn’t come back.

5th-7th or even undrafted due to health concerns with his knee. He could honestly use another year to put better work on tape. NIL should be helping these young men make better decisions on staying put when they should.

Advertisement
Average OL aren’t good pass blockers grading out high most weeks. Average OL don’t get first round or second round projections. Scouts liked him last year but thought he needed another year since he was a true jr. He was a te most of his time in high school so believe it or not they see potential and he’s still pretty new to the position.. Just because some of y’all call him average doesn’t mean he is.

Obviously he won’t be getting drafted high now but a team will grab him at some point purely on potential and value.
He was never strong enough to be a day 1/2 draft pick.

Consider me skeptical that any scout ever gave him a grade that high. Maybe an agent did, or maybe a scout said he can develop himself to get that high, but he had neither day 1/2 film nor strength.

Did Zion have the kind of year Rousseau had? Obviously two different positions but Rousseau was one the best DE's in the country. Zion isn't even one of the best OL in the conference.
Like @Cribby said, he’s an elite pass blocker — obviously I’m not saying that to say that he had a Rousseau type of season. More so that the board largely lets their own feelings about guys who they feel negatively about distort reality. He’ll absolutely get drafted, not like I’m saying he’ll be a first round pick.

Like...I don't see it in him. He's sucked a lot here. Some of the worst OL play I've ever witnessed was him. Even during his periods of being good, he's still got some bad film mixed in. But, to his credit, he's had some good pass blocking film teams will highlight in his evaluation. I don't like him, but I am sure someone will.

He's got the traits...he's always had those. Does it translate to testing? We'll see. Would not shock me if some teams buy in on the potential and have him as a developmental tackle they earmark sometime in the draft. Where? idk. So many variables go into where an OL is drafted.

I'm intrigued to see his workout numbers, particularly his cone and 20 yard shuttle. Let me see this man pop off a sub 4.47 20 yard shuttle and I'll likely change my tune on him very quickly. He's got a good agency working for him that'll likely market him well. Not playing this year is probably in his best interest...you want to limit the bad tape he's got. He would have some bad tape this year.

An offensive lineman should be a really good athlete with traits or should be a master at the craft...Orlando Brown Jr. called it an art form, so has Joe Thomas. Zion isn't Monet out there...but he might be a good enough athlete with traits. We'll see, I guess.
He has always been 2 years behind where he should be at that age.

Will Campbell started as a true Freshman at LSU this szn and is exponentially better than Zion was at that age. (Zion gave up like 13 sacks his freshman year.)

Zion progressed his 2nd and 3rd years, but physically he is more like a guy like Campbell is as a freshman.

I know NFL likes to draft on traits… you know draft tendencies as well as anyone on these boards. But decent feet and long arms only get you so far.

There are lots of good players and lots of good tackles. Watch the kid at northwestern if you want to see a R1 tackle.

Nelson is a guy that will either make it big on a 2nd contract, Or be out of the league. Can say that about a lot of dudes, but not the automatic R1 tackles.

Advertisement
Like @Cribby said, he’s an elite pass blocker — obviously I’m not saying that to say that he had a Rousseau type of season. More so that the board largely lets their own feelings about guys who they feel negatively about distort reality. He’ll absolutely get drafted, not like I’m saying he’ll be a first round pick.
He is not an elite pass blocker. At best, he is an above-average pass blocker.

Average OL aren’t good pass blockers grading out high most weeks. Average OL don’t get first round or second round projections. Scouts liked him last year but thought he needed another year since he was a true jr. He was a te most of his time in high school so believe it or not they see potential and he’s still pretty new to the position.. Just because some of y’all call him average doesn’t mean he is.

Obviously he won’t be getting drafted high now but a team will grab him at some point purely on potential and value.
He's a below average run blocker as is all the OL room at the moment (jury still out on Big Mamny's new OL recruits).

His background of how he got to this moment also doesn't have much bearing on his capabilities today.

Also, he doesn't face SEC DE's week in/week out for grading purposes.

Will Campbell started as a true Freshman at LSU this szn and is exponentially better than Zion was at that age. (Zion gave up like 13 sacks his freshman year.)

Zion progressed his 2nd and 3rd years, but physically he is more like a guy like Campbell is as a freshman.

I know NFL likes to draft on traits… you know draft tendencies as well as anyone on these boards. But decent feet and long arms only get you so far.

There are lots of good players and lots of good tackles. Watch the kid at northwestern if you want to see a R1 tackle.

Nelson is a guy that will either make it big on a 2nd contract, Or be out of the league. Can say that about a lot of dudes, but not the automatic R1 tackles.
I think Zion gave up 13 sacks just in UF game by 2Q.

Again, not his fault though. Manuela's staff thrust him to an unfair role physically and talent wise.

Perhaps he'd be in a different place today if only he had Cristobal/Mirabal tutelage fpr 4 years.

I'm not debating anything you said. I'm not the best guy to be evaluating him. I'm sure some NFL teams will love him a lot more than I will...mostly because I can't quantify the bad tape fairly.

My only addendum to your post would be...the OL board dries up very fast come draft day...especially with anything that lwooks like a projectable left tackle...which is why I do not throw a draft grade out...combine that with a lot of unknown variables (his entire offseason process) and he's just a wildcard. Could go anywhere and it'd be reasonable right now.

Numbers are all over the map...but lets say 10 tackles, 10 interior linemen are picked in rounds 1-3 annually...40-50 total in a draft with wide variations year to year...thats a lot. We could never hear from him again or he can be a starter. No idea with lots of his unknowns.

Advertisement
Here’s the skinny on Zion; here’s a 2 star kid that worked his way to becoming a low 3 star. We were the first P5 to show him love, & that’s b/c our OL recruiting that yr was really trashed.

Zion was thrown to the wolves his first yr, & he quite frankly wasn’t physically able to handle the collegiate level of football. He struggled mightily.

Credit to him to put in the work, & had a 180 Sophomore yr. It was his sophomore yr that he started to get 1st round buzz.

Unfortunately, his Jr yr, while still light yrs better than his Freshman yr, took a step back. He gave up one fewer sack than his sophomore more yr, while playing in more games (Sophomore yr was the Covid season), but he gave up a slew of QB hurries & graded poorly as a run blocking tackle.

That led to most draft reports, pre season, lending him to a 3rd - to early 4th round pick. Now, w/ very limited film this season, I’m wondering where he falls in line, now. His measurable are good, but they r not eye popping like Greg was. Greg had three things working for him that Zion doesn’t have if lending a lasting memory:

2. GR15 had an absolutely freakish measurable. U won’t find too many DEs w/ his length & size that could bend, bull rush, & play all along the DL (pause)

3. He had an outstanding one & done yr. Crazy stats that rivaled Chase Young from OSU, the consensus top DE in the nation.

Even w that being said, GR15 was out of sight out of mind, w/ JP15 going above him, b/c it was a what gave you done for me lately. GR15 almost didn’t make the 1st round, regardless he was looked at as a sure fire 1st rounder in 2019.

With Zion, not only did his draft grade dip from 2020 to 2021, now it’s out of sight, out of mind, too. Imo, this doesn’t bode well for him in the upcoming draft. I think he’ll go maybe the 5th at this point, if he doesn’t come back.
fax GIF

Advertisement

I agree except I see undrafted free agent

so frustrating watching him not do anything at all in his money year. These gameday reports of who is in and who's out are god awful every week.
How awesome would it be if TVD and Zion took the field together on Saturday !!!!! One can dream!! *** all dem goes!!

Advertisement
Back