What's Next for LB?

Yall remember back in 2010 when both of our starting LB's registered over 100 tackles in the same season? (then got drafted in the 3rd and 4th round)

We didn't even consider that LB core elite Miami caliber.
Now look at us.

throw up team america GIF

Advertisement
I don't think we are hopeless at LB...I think some of these guys can develop. I wouldn't mind seeing a scheme change but that would require some roster overhaul.

I think Striker (if you are keeping this scheme) is set...Frierson, K.Smith (Who is very good imo), C.Smith, (and 1 of Huff/Harrell) are a lot to be excited about here.
I think Bradley Jennings is not a UM starter, plain and simple. Not the worst I've seen but not a UM MLB.

I think Steed if he stays is depth...He flashed during the season and can be in the top 5-6 of the rotation. Like everyone in the last 2 games you saw why he wasn't a starter.

I think Brooks leaves UM a very good player. You can't have a whole team of LB with that particular build (like Diaz and baker seem to thinks so), but Sam Brooks is all over the field when he's out there.

Flagg gets a bad rap on this board, but it's too early and he shows instincts

I think TAC, possibly Huff, and T.Johnson (may need a year)...Bring alot to this position to go with Brooks. I would try Johnson and TAC in the middle and let them battle with Troutman and Flagg. I like Troutman better than Flagg but I'm not giving up on Flagg despite his lack of measurable. Corner is a much bigger problem than backer imo...As is the mediocrity of Gurvan Hall who I don't think is being coached well despite his tools.

Like others have said already; it literally doesn't matter.

You could have Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, and Jon Vilma as your starting linebackers on this team, and their play would look marginally better than the 2016-season linebackers.

The players are being instructed to do nonsensical things like ignoring gaps to get to the ball or ignoring the ball carrier to engage a blocker and ignoring tightends.

Theres 2 linebackers on the field and they're coached by different coaches.

Linebackers recruits will never come to play here with the scheme, rotations behind #53, and getting 4 tackles per game.

Like others have said already; it literally doesn't matter.

You could have Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, and Jon Vilma as your starting linebackers on this team, and their play would look marginally better than the 2016-season linebackers.

The players are being instructed to do nonsensical things like ignoring gaps to get to the ball or ignoring the ball carrier to engage a blocker and ignoring tightends.

Theres 2 linebackers on the field and they're coached by different coaches.

Linebackers recruits will never come to play here with the scheme, rotations behind #53, and getting 4 tackles per game.
That is a great point that we have 2 players That basically play the same position, and play right next to each other yet they have different coaches. Couple this with our safety's and corner backs being coached by different people and you see why our communication on D Is horrible..

Advertisement
I’ve said it ad nauseam over the years on CiS in various threads. The only year that the LB’s played consistently at a high level under Manolo’s watch, was the first season that Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud were Freshmen.

There are articles and video interviews from that season where Manolo stated that the trio of LB’s was playing fast because he had barely given them any of the defensive playbook so not to overload their minds.

Guess what? After that season, Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud all started regressing, to the point where McCloud, who was once loved by most posters on CiS, and who most said had the “highest ceiling” of the 3 athletically, is now so bad that he is hated by the fan base.

All of our subsequent LB’s have looked like trash, too. The odds that every single 3* and 4* LB recruit is a bust after multiple recruiting classes is almost an impossibility.

Watching video lowlights posted by Roman earlier this season showing our atrocious LB play and the lack of instincts and awareness that our dudes show play after play is exhibit A. They all look like deer in headlights.

It is highly unlikely that these dudes that have been playing LB at a high level for most of their lives regress so much in college to the point that they look like they’ve never before played their position.

This leaves only one possibility for rational individuals that use logic and reason as part of their daily existence...Corch Manolo and his merry men are stunting the growth and development of our LB’s.

Think of it as a lab experiment. After thousands of trials (in this case plays during a game), the evidence is irrefutable. It is NOT the players, it’s the CORCHES and the scheme.

It's situations like this that sometimes make me feel we will always be fighting an uphill battle. Best player at his position in a position of need. Home town team and he picks sorry *** Maryland.

Advertisement
We have a highly recruited 4 star in Avery Huff who hasn't played a significant down in 2 seasons.

This staph can't develop ****.

Advertisement
We have a highly recruited 4 star in Avery Huff who hasn't played a significant down in 2 seasons.

This staph can't develop ****.
So why do other freshman play? Not every player can get on the field in their first two years

So why do other freshman play? Not every player can get on the field in their first two years
Flagg plays some, what other freshmen saw significant snaps? Austin Cave a bit but I don't recall seeing him in the bowl.

Advertisement
They could make the spread 35 points and I’d still bet my house and 401k on Bama
I was fairly close..... 28 points... good thing Miami players are already making it be known on Twitter
3DD143CC-E8D9-467B-BE1A-6D4ECFFBC063.png

That is a great point that we have 2 players That basically play the same position, and play right next to each other yet they have different coaches. Couple this with our safety's and corner backs being coached by different people and you see why our communication on D Is horrible..
Safeties and Corners SHOULD have different coaches. Nothing wrong with that.

I’ve said it ad nauseam over the years on CiS in various threads. The only year that the LB’s played consistently at a high level under Manolo’s watch, was the first season that Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud were Freshmen.

There are articles and video interviews from that season where Manolo stated that the trio of LB’s was playing fast because he had barely given them any of the defensive playbook so not to overload their minds.

Guess what? After that season, Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud all started regressing, to the point where McCloud, who was once loved by most posters on CiS, and who most said had the “highest ceiling” of the 3 athletically, is now so bad that he is hated by the fan base.

All of our subsequent LB’s have looked like trash, too. The odds that every single 3* and 4* LB recruit is a bust after multiple recruiting classes is almost an impossibility.

Watching video lowlights posted by Roman earlier this season showing our atrocious LB play and the lack of instincts and awareness that our dudes show play after play is exhibit A. They all look like deer in headlights.

It is highly unlikely that these dudes that have been playing LB at a high level for most of their lives regress so much in college to the point that they look like they’ve never before played their position.

This leaves only one possibility for rational individuals that use logic and reason as part of their daily existence...Corch Manolo and his merry men are stunting the growth and development of our LB’s.

Think of it as a lab experiment. After thousands of trials (in this case plays during a game), the evidence is irrefutable. It is NOT the players, it’s the CORCHES and the scheme.
the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

Advertisement
Back