What's Next for LB?

Advertisement
Maybe this scheme works on some weird reverse order type of way. I can see it now. Line the lbs up on the line. Move the DL back to the lb spots. When the LBs shoot gaps it will free up the OL to engage the DL 5 yards downfield with the speedy LBs already in the backfield. You're welcome for me solving the defensive issues.

And Brooks. He will be a Jr. Time to take that quantum leap.
YUUUUUP. IF we don't have any linebackers stepping up in 2021 then it's been a whole 2-3 cycles of just disappointments. That sets us back for a while. Crazy how corner and linebackers are lacking given our geographical footprint. Sigh.

Advertisement
Y'all are gonna find out eventually that it doesn't matter who we put at LB in this scheme. Even with an elite LB recruit, the results will only increase this 👌 much.
This scheme is DL friendly and completely anti-linebacker. When your DL is taught to simply run upfield all day with no gap integrity, and not demand double-teams, your LB's are seldomly going to run free. (hence the reason our LB's are fighting O-Lineman every play)

You're not wrong, but I disagree that LB play doesn't make a difference. Look at last year vs. this year:

Rush defense (per carry)

2019: 10th
2020: 80th

Shaquille Quarterman (2019)- 107 tackles, 15.5 TFL
Bradley Jennings (2020)- 39 tackles, 7.5 TFLs

Mike Pinckney (2019)- 64 tackles, 12.5 TFLs
Zack McCloud (2020)- 27 tackles, 2 TFLs

You're not wrong, but I disagree that LB play doesn't make a difference. Look at last year vs. this year:

Rush defense (per carry)

Zack McCloud (2020)- 27 tackls, 2 TFLs
Obviously we all know that Shaq was better than Jennings, but we didn't sub like we do now either. Shaq played all the snaps. We currently have a revolving door at LB which kinda skews the stats a bit. But I guess that just shows how unreliable our starters are.

Maybe this scheme works on some weird reverse order type of way. I can see it now. Line the lbs up on the line. Move the DL back to the lb spots. When the LBs shoot gaps it will free up the OL to engage the DL 5 yards downfield with the speedy LBs already in the backfield. You're welcome for me solving the defensive issues.
Dj Khaled Yes GIF by VH1

Advertisement
Obviously we all know that Shaq was better than Jennings, but we didn't sub like we do now either. Shaq played all the snaps. We currently have a revolving door at LB which kinda skews the stats a bit. But I guess that just shows how unreliable our starters are.
The stats that really jump out to me are the team rush defense stats. We fell off a cliff. Some of that is edge-setting (we did a better job last year), but I have to think Shaq and Pinckney made up for a lot.

I also think their departure led to our pass rushing stats dropping off. They were way more instinctual on our green-dog blitzes and have the sack numbers to prove it. Flagg is the only guy on the current roster that showed a feel for those.

100% skews the stats slightly... however if you roll Jennings (39); Brooks (37) and Mccloud (27) together, you still get less than Shaq... the next closest was Steed and Flagg with 15 and ragone with 14.

**** if you add Shaq and Pinc together pretty sure it outnumbers ALL tackles for every LB we had with a stat this year.

Y'all are gonna find out eventually that it doesn't matter who we put at LB in this scheme. Even with an elite LB recruit, the results will only increase this 👌 much.
This scheme is DL friendly and completely anti-linebacker. When your DL is taught to simply run upfield all day with no gap integrity, and not demand double-teams, your LB's are seldomly going to run free. (hence the reason our LB's are fighting O-Lineman every play)
I am in agreement and have been saying this for years. But the guys we've been trotting out there also misdiagnose. So instead of at least engaging and potentially putting a safety in position to make a play, they are out of position and there are all kind of cutback lanes at the second level. I think improved LB play would help in this regard.

Advertisement

Rush defense (per carry)

Zack McCloud (2020)- 27 tackles, 2 TFLs

Shaq and Pinckney had the ability to diagnose plays (which is probably the key skill for a LB). Jennings and even more soMcCloud are very poor at this. McCloud should have been moved to DE long ago.

The only LB I saw this year with that skill was Flagg. He may run a 5.0 40, but he'll get to the ballcarrier faster than the 4.6 guy who needs 0.5 seconds to diagnose the play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back