What's going to be our identity on offense?

Remains to be seen how the players we have fit in to his schemes. I think we have the receivers and backs to be fairly balanced between running and passing but that is pure speculation on my part. We should know a lot more about our potential identity after the spring.
Could also be very dependent of the capabilities of our OL in his schemes

Advertisement
That's the extremist version of the Air Raid, he's the only one who runs it that way. They don't actually use tempo as much as they more so just throw the ball every snap.

Lashlee's offense still produced a RB that rushed for 1,276yds & 23TD's at 5.2 yards per carry, while simultaneously having a WR lead the nation in receptions & top 10 in yards & TD's, plus 2 additional WR's catch more than 40+ passes.

Whenever people hear Air Raid they assume it's Leach's Air Raid, but none of the Air Raid coaches or disciples throw it as much as he does without the balancing it with the run game. He has a 80/20 -90/10 Pass to run ratio, the SMU system that Lash ran is more 55/45 - 60/40, way more running & way more distinct play calling.

It's why Lincoln Riley & Josh Heupel have had success because they took the Leach passing scheme & combined with a high powered Spread rushing attack & it made their offense virtually impossible to stop unless you simply have a significant talent advantage.

Going Tempo isn't just throwing it 80 times a game, you can go Tempo while still pounding the rock, you just won't see long developing outside zone runs like we ran under Enox that always got blown up in the backfield.
And lets not forget how he uses his TEs. Last year, SMUs TE had 200 more yards than our leading WR (Osborne). That is almost incomprehensible.

All I know is beware of the word aggressive. It is used a lot and means very little most of the time.

1581996496114.gif

Advertisement
Everything is attacking RIGHT NOW. No more slow developing plays that take 20 seconds to set up after the snap.

90 % of passes should have a 3 or 1 step drop. Get the ball out of the quarterback’s hand in under 3 seconds. 2 1/2 second is even better.

Call plays to the numbers advantage at the line. Make inside zone the bread and butter run play.

Mix run and pass to be unpredictable on first down. Playaction into quick passes.

Force the defense to bring up the safety to take away the run and short pass yac. When they do, bomb the **** out of them with quick flys fades, and back shoulders.

If we played this style , we would have won 10 games in 2019 even with the other problems.

Is anyone familiar with the offense that they run at Chaminade ? Reading the 247 article, apparently Lashlee told Thad Franklin his offense is very similar to the one they’re running at Franklins school . I believe he told another recruit that as well. Idk if that was just a recruiting tactic or what , I’m wondering if anyone on here could shed some light on that

Advertisement
That's the extremist version of the Air Raid, he's the only one who runs it that way. They don't actually use tempo as much as they more so just throw the ball every snap.

Lashlee's offense still produced a RB that rushed for 1,276yds & 23TD's at 5.2 yards per carry, while simultaneously having a WR lead the nation in receptions & top 10 in yards & TD's, plus 2 additional WR's catch more than 40+ passes.

Whenever people hear Air Raid they assume it's Leach's Air Raid, but none of the Air Raid coaches or disciples throw it as much as he does without the balancing it with the run game. He has a 80/20 -90/10 Pass to run ratio, the SMU system that Lash ran is more 55/45 - 60/40, way more running & way more distinct play calling.

It's why Lincoln Riley & Josh Heupel have had success because they took the Leach passing scheme & combined with a high powered Spread rushing attack & it made their offense virtually impossible to stop unless you simply have a significant talent advantage.

Going Tempo isn't just throwing it 80 times a game, you can go Tempo while still pounding the rock, you just won't see long developing outside zone runs like we ran under Enox that always got blown up in the backfield.

Couldn't have said it better LCE. Your takes have been on fire lately brother. Great stuff.

Looking at the SMU-Memphis game
Passing 34/55 456 yards
Rushing 24 97 yards

You'd have to think we'd have even better rushing yardage given our stable of RBs. Speed kills.

In order for our offensive to be successful, our offensive line needs to be vastly improved. I need to see improvements before I jump on the Lashlee hype train.
There will be improvement by default. Better oline coach and everyone returns on oline.

Advertisement
Tempo.

Speed, speed & more speed, in both the run game & pass game.

Sonny Dykes TTech/SMU Air Raid Passing scheme + Malzahn Arkansas/Auburn Rushing attack.

Unrelenting attacks vs Defenses, force them to commit to selling out to stopping one aspect of the offense & then kill'em with the other.

Our biggest issue has been pace of play, with both Richt & Enox we moved at snail speed & had literally one of the worst 3rd down offenses in the nation ranked in the low hundreds. The only way to change that is to pickup the pace & crack Defenes open with tempo.

We either make teams run into a buzz saw when they play us or we die trying, the 3 & out locomotive needs to die in order for us to finally turn the corner.

Our identity should be attack until they break & when they break attack some more.
I like how you think but we thought Randy's was bad until we saw Al's and were certain his sucked until we saw Mark's and then, when you see the pattern. I just can't get excited over yet another new face being our salvation. Logic is on your side but history is a ***** of a heart-breaker. Do we have the type of Olinemen for this high pace offense? QB? Skill players? And most important do we have quick enough frigging staff to run all that speed.

I remember a hurry-up with Golden where we rushed to the line and then I could go to kitchen and fix a sub while we did the check out defense, check with me, get the play and then delay of game penalty. Some times I think that since we are surrounded by Caribbean we have taken that whole laid back sense of no urgency as new ID. We don't even run fast anymore. But from your lips to God's ears my brother.

Tempo.

Speed, speed & more speed, in both the run game & pass game.

Sonny Dykes TTech/SMU Air Raid Passing scheme + Malzahn Arkansas/Auburn Rushing attack.

Unrelenting attacks vs Defenses, force them to commit to selling out to stopping one aspect of the offense & then kill'em with the other.

Our biggest issue has been pace of play, with both Richt & Enox we moved at snail speed & had literally one of the worst 3rd down offenses in the nation ranked in the low hundreds. The only way to change that is to pickup the pace & crack Defenes open with tempo.

We either make teams run into a buzz saw when they play us or we die trying, the 3 & out locomotive needs to die in order for us to finally turn the corner.

Our identity should be attack until they break & when they break attack some more.
Our biggest issue is not having a QB that can play the game well at ANY speed, much less fast. Still, I pretty much agree with what you're saying. This O, with King in there, should be an absolute nightmare for everyone we face in the Coastal.

“We believe in spreading the field, getting your playmakers in space and playing fast, and ultimately that’s what kids want to do. They love it and if they’re doing what they want to do, they’ll buy in,” Lashlee said. “I grew up when Nolan Richardson was winning national championships with ‘40 Minutes of ****’ at Arkansas, and it was just a unique style and brand of basketball that everybody wasn’t really doing, so if we can do something that’s a little different, have something that’s a little unique to us, it gives us an advantage that is a way of life for us. At the end of the day, the more plays you get, the more chances your playmakers have to touch the ball, the more chances you have to score — it’s just that simple and hopefully we can wear down our opponents because it’s something we’re used to. At the end of the day, spread the field, get our guys in space and let them do what God’s given them the ability to do.”

Advertisement
Sounds like Lashlee wants to utilize Jordan & Mallory:

"I think with what we do, those guys are kind of the glue guys. The better your tight ends are, the more versatile you can be and play fast because if you don’t have great tight ends, you can play fast, but you’re a little bit limited and the defense has a little better idea of what personnel you’re in, what sets you’re in. When you have tight ends that can put their hand down, be off the ball, flex out like a wide receiver like the couple guys that we have here, it really gives you a lot of versatility to not only go fast, but go fast and be multiple with the looks you give. One minute you’re in a heavy set, one minute you’re empty and you’ve gone fast.”

Be multiple with the looks you give....I like this better than being "multiple," toggling between spread/pro style and having no identity.

Last edited:
Agree with LCE yet again. I will be very interested to hear the comments from Lashlee as we get through spring practice. His public comment a couple of weeks ago was something like "we need to execute first before going fast." Hopefully everyone is able to execute at a high level early on.

Sounds like Lashlee wants to utilize Jordan & Mallory:

"I think with what we do, those guys are kind of the glue guys. The better your tight ends are, the more versatile you can be and play fast because if you don’t have great tight ends, you can play fast, but you’re a little bit limited and the defense has a little better idea of what personnel you’re in, what sets you’re in. When you have tight ends that can put their hand down, be off the ball, flex out like a wide receiver like the couple guys that we have here, it really gives you a lot of versatility to not only go fast, but go fast and be multiple with the looks you give. One minute you’re in a heavy set, one minute you’re empty and you’ve gone fast.”

Be multiple with the looks you give....I like this better than being "multiple," toggling between spread/pro style and having no identity.
This sounds exactly like what I've been wanting. There's more to football than just beating the man in front of you. The coaches need to put you in a better position to beat the man in front of you. Now, let's see if it works.

Advertisement
Back