What would YOU have said to Dalvin Cook....

Advertisement
Impossible to recruit Cook if you don't know him. I'm a 25 yr old black man I'm pretty sure I would've related to him. Get the kid some wings from his favorite spot hook up the PS4 and beat his *** in Madden while listening to the latest migos mixtape. Then talk **** bout Tallahassee and how real put on 4 they city.

LMFAO so you think that Dalvin's recruiting hinged on buffalo wings?

And no, my answer is "coconut grove bro!"....My answer is there is no answer. You aren't going to beat out teams that are constantly in the playoffs and winning titles when you are losing 6 games for the top kids. It's not happening. Which means.........

The only way you can turn the tide is to do it on the field. Get a great coach, not a Head Recruiter in Charge, and win quickly. It's THE ONLY ANSWER.

Sure winning is important, and a real coach is a must. But we could have 9 wins this year with a crap staff. How in the world did we ever get 7 nfl quality kids here if winning is the only thing that recruits respond to?

You gotta have both sides of the coin. A great coach will do both.

There aren't a lot of guys out there with a proven record of both excellent coaching and excellent recruiting.

And that's the point. We have and can continue to get talent, but we need to win to get enough talent. We get 5 good players, fsu/uf get 8. Want to keep 2 premier RBs home every year? Gotta win. Did anyone notice that THREE different RBs who were formerly committed to us were playing for uf tonight? They went to uf because they believe they can win there. We don't need to win more to get talented kids, we need to win more to get talented 2nd and 3rd stringers. Anybody remember Kellen Winslow playing special teams because we had Shockey? Remember when Mcgahee needed another guy to get injured so he could see the field?

Recruits dont respond to winning thats the biggest myth ever,and those who believe that r retarded. It only matters when u win and a kid is 7 years old and they grow up liking u because u were winning. It all about relationships period,jimbo did **** as an assistant then he became coach and immediately u saw a difcerent type of beast he was recruiting and he was beating our saban while he was losing. It reminded my of that documentaryby Davenport when rolle said wow these r the guys butch was bringing in? He was amazed himself. Its a gift and whwn we hire butch use will all see the kind of kids he brings and restore the u to its rightfu place as king of florida. We are suppose to beat bama fsu uf lau down in sfla, butch will get the kids they get the ones we dont want. The way it should be

Impossible to recruit Cook if you don't know him. I'm a 25 yr old black man I'm pretty sure I would've related to him. Get the kid some wings from his favorite spot hook up the PS4 and beat his *** in Madden while listening to the latest migos mixtape. Then talk **** bout Tallahassee and how real put on 4 they city.

LMFAO so you think that Dalvin's recruiting hinged on buffalo wings?

And no, my answer isnt "coconut grove bro!"....My answer is there is no answer. You aren't going to beat out teams that are constantly in the playoffs and winning titles when you are losing 6 games for the top kids. It's not happening. Which means.........

The only way you can turn the tide is to do it on the field. Get a great coach, not a Head Recruiter in Charge, and win quickly. It's THE ONLY ANSWER.

To consistently get a good number of top players the new HC needs to win, but he also needs to convince a few to come to Miami to help get to that level. It can be done, especially if the players are in state. Miami's current roster was good enough to go 8-4 with bad coaching, albeit in a weak conference with one miracle win. If the new HC can hold together an allegedly good class, win 10 games and the Coastal in 2016 I think we're golden. (Ha! couldn't resist).

Pete Carroll inherited some talent but struggled through a .500 season (6-6) his first season at USC. How did he start recruiting the best of the best? USC hadn't been 'USC' for quite a while before Carroll showed up. He had nothing to sell except some past NFL experience and the history of the program. He didn't win immediately. His first recruiting class was ranked #12 . Carroll sold Calif kids on restoring USC to elite status, kids that grew up watching USC.

Carroll is obviously an exception, not the rule, so your point is well taken.

Hopefully Miami can get as lucky with their new HC.

Pete Carroll didn't win big in his first year. But that's not what I mean by winning quickly. 90% of coaches first years are a struggle as they implement new systems. Saban was 7-6 year 1 at Bama. Urban was 9-3 year 1 at UF. PC was 6-6 year 1. Bob Stoops was 7-5 year 1.

However.....in year 2?

Stoops went 13-0 with a ring. Saban was 12-2 won the SECW. Carroll was 11-2 and won the Orange bowl. Urban was 13-1 with a ring.

The point is, it only took those dudes one season to make good on their promises to recruits. That creates a tremendous amount of momentum in recruiting. After that Orange Bowl win, Carroll landed Bush and White, and the rest is history.

By comparison, Randy went 7-6 in year 2. Al Golden went 7-5. Charlie Strong is going 4-8. Rich Rod went 5-7.

And one more thing....when you show no improvement, and lose out on the Dalvin Cooks, not only are you losing him, but the opponent you absolutely need to beat gains him and helps them beat you, perpetuating the cycle.

Breaking the cycle takes an elite elite coach. Anything less and we will be back here again and again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm sick of everyone crowning Jimbo. Let's see how goat he is the further out from having Jameis he gets.
They'll be back to the greatest 2-4 loss team every year.

I hate that ******* redneck. And what was the point of going for it on 4 & 1 last night, with seconds left, to run up the score on UF who had zero chance of even scoring? I hate the gators and laugh at their misfortune but when I saw that, it reminded me that he is a total CLASSLESS hick. I cannot stand him. I hope Dabo owns him for a few years and we finally get a real coach to expose him.

Advertisement
I'm sick of everyone crowning Jimbo. Let's see how goat he is the further out from having Jameis he gets.
They'll be back to the greatest 2-4 loss team every year.

I hate that ******* redneck. And what was the point of going for it on 4 & 1 last night, with seconds left, to run up the score on UF who had zero chance of even scoring? I hate the gators and laugh at their misfortune but when I saw that, it reminded me that he is a total CLASSLESS hick. I cannot stand him. I hope Dabo owns him for a few years and we finally get a real coach to expose him.

And none of that has anything to do with him as a recruiter. He may be a classless hick, but he's some type of recruiting demon.

Selling product is great, but selling hope and a bright future is just as good. Golden offered neither. A new coach will be able to sell lots of hope of a good future.

Pete Carroll didn't win big in his first year. But that's not what I mean by winning quickly. 90% of coaches first years are a struggle as they implement new systems. Saban was 7-6 year 1 at Bama. Urban was 9-3 year 1 at UF. PC was 6-6 year 1. Bob Stoops was 7-5 year 1.

However.....in year 2?

Stoops went 13-0 with a ring. Saban was 12-2 won the SECW. Carroll was 11-2 and won the Orange bowl. Urban was 13-1 with a ring.

The point is, it only took those dudes one season to make good on their promises to recruits. That creates a tremendous amount of momentum in recruiting. After that Orange Bowl win, Carroll landed Bush and White, and the rest is history.

By comparison, Randy went 7-6 in year 2. Al Golden went 7-5. Charlie Strong is going 4-8. Rich Rod went 5-7.

And one more thing....when you show no improvement, and lose out on the Dalvin Cooks, not only are you losing him, but the opponent you absolutely need to beat gains him and helps them beat you, perpetuating the cycle.

Breaking the cycle takes an elite elite coach. Anything less and we will be back here again and again.

You make a crucial point about your opponent getting big time players. That is on of my biggest reasons to get Butch. Good coach or not, he gets us the talent AND keeps them off FSU, UF, OSU and Bama. We beat noles the last two years if Cook is just sitting on our sideline.

Advertisement

However.....in year 2?

You make a crucial point about your opponent getting big time players. That is on of my biggest reasons to get Butch. Good coach or not, he gets us the talent AND keeps them off FSU, UF, OSU and Bama. We beat noles the last two years if Cook is just sitting on our sideline.

Except how is Butch going to keep those kids home if he doesn't win quickly (which he hasn't done ever in his career)? Sure his first class will be legit, but if he goes 7-5 in year 2 while FSU and UF are in the playoffs, he's not winning the elite kids. He doesn't have some magic potion.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back