What would be your top 5 Realistic HC Wishlist for Miami?

Since taking over as HC, not while at Texas or as DC here, since calling all his own shots here Diaz has indisputably done a **** good job recruiting and in the portal.

Just imagine you had no idea what our record was in 2019. Then take a look at this class overall, including the transfers, and ask yourself what you'd imagine our W-L being.

All that being said, he's got to do it on the field or he'll be unemployed six months from now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
re What can make Miami elite again, they need to hire a great development staff (coaches who can really teach the position, strength, speed, COD/agility, yoga, diet/nutrition, athletic trainers) and increase the recruiting budget. Does Manny get a private plane for recruiting?

Experienced HC's:
Scott Satterfield
Blake Anderson
Billy Napier
Neal Brown

Wait & See:
Sean Lewis
Jeff Scott
Alex Grinch
Phil Longo

I often thought about Lashlee as well. What happens if we're in a scenario were Lashlee is being offered several HC jobs? Do we make him HC or let him leave?

There is only one scenario in which Lashlee is being offered several HC jobs and we simultaneously have a HC vacancy...that's Manny is being offered an NFL job.

A scenario which would only occur if he wins the CFP.

I like where your head is at 😃

Last edited:
I highly doubt Diaz will get the boot this season due to us having King this year, but anyways who would be your top 5?? Please leave Mario Cristobal off any list
My hopes is manny Diaz turn this program around , and lead this team for years to come , he got the charisma and swag and he a politician, I know he can convince some highly recruited kids to come here, he just have to produce on the field, I hope we don’t have to talk about a new coach for the next 5-10 years

Here’s what we should be hiring for:
- leadership and accountability
- evaluation and recruiting (selling) skills, and commitment
- ability to build a staff
- high expectations/ambition

Out of people who meet those criteria, we should screen for offensive and defensive philosophy (scheme and style), to ensure fit with our program’s assets (local talent and culture).

I personally wouldn’t hire a fancy coordinator. Too much risk on the critical traits, and not needed because the right HC will get the right staff hired and system implemented. The job of the HC isn’t offensive scheming. It’s running a program. Talent eval, roster management, recruiting, retention of key players, position selection/changes, staff composition, S&C, development, scheme, game planning, play calling, motivation, nutrition, alumni relations, media relations, etc.

If you score our past HCs, you can see they all failed the basic criteria.

Coker wasn’t a leader, and didn’t hold his staff accountable, was terrible as a recruiter / evaluator (recruited off lists), allowed our S&C to decline dramatically, and allowed a culture of low expectations to set in.

Shannon wasn’t a leader, and didn’t build a good staff, maintained no discipline on S&C, and was mediocre and reluctant as a recruiter / evaluator.

Golden was a snake-oil salesman, didn’t hold his butt buddy accountable, was not a good recruiter or evaluator, got his schemes totally wrong for our program, and continued a mediocre S&C program. He was all spin and deflection, and had no expectation of real success.

Richt built a mediocre staff, and obviously had no accountability given his son’s performance and our offense’s performance generally. He hired a terrible S&C guy and didn’t fix it. He was a very lazy roster manager and mediocre evaluator. And he was clearly content with ‘okay’ results. He came to UM to retire, not compete.

Diaz, not a leader, lots of talk, no accountability, mediocre staff at best, not a good recruiter / evaluator.

If Golden was such a poor recruiter and evaluator, then how did over 30 players he recruited make it to the NFL?

Richt's offensive staff was certainly mediocre, but his defensive hires included Kuligowski, Simpson and Manny Diaz.

It's legitimate to question his prowess as a HC at this point...but to say that Diaz is not a good recruiter is ignorant at best and intentionally dishonest at worst.

Advertisement
There is a significant difference between will and ABILITY. Our fanbase, one of the cheapest in the country expects the school to spend themselves into bankruptcy to fund the program. Miami is earning 50-55 million dollars per year as an athletic department. Ohio State, Florida and others are clearing double that in some cases. People like Blake James have to be good at maximizing the funding available, but when one is behind the 8 ball, it magnifies every mistake. Think about this. Ed Orgeron by all intents and purposes is a mediocre head coach, albeit an outstanding recruiter. LSU has the resources to minimize his shortcomings, while maximizing the one thing he does extremely well.

Manny Diaz is a good x's and o's defensive coach, but lacks the ability to recognize good coaching talent and is a mediocre recruiter. Guess what, Miami can't just throw money around to fix those issues like LSU can. That means that when Miami has to hire a coach, one must be able to recognize up and coming talent, talent that can grow into top end guys. You can't go out and buy finished products like Texas, you sure as **** can't go out and take risks, knowing that you can easily buy your way out, like Florida with Muschamp.
Miami could raise and spend more money on athletics if they wanted to. But they don’t, and here we are.

If Golden was such a poor recruiter and evaluator, then how did over 30 players he recruited make it to the NFL?

Richt's offensive staff was certainly mediocre, but his defensive hires included Kuligowski, Simpson and Manny Diaz.

It's legitimate to question his prowess as a HC at this point...but to say that Diaz is not a good recruiter is ignorant at best and intentionally dishonest at worst.
That’s an absurd response, imo. Questioning manny diaz as a recruiter is ‘ignorant at best [or] intentionally dishinest’? You must have failed 8th grade three times. It’s hard to know how to respond to delusional rants. Manny is proven as a recruiter? Really? Good luck with your career in data analytics.

Not sure why you’re mentioning richt’s defensive corches to begin with, but also note his ‘legendary’ defensive hires include Kuligowski, who was overrated at UM, failed at Alabama and is currently working at Toldeo. Simpson coached at UM for one season, and no complaints about him but not clear why everyone has made him into a heroic figure, either. And loudmouth manny, who, we’ll see.

As for golden, if you think he was a terrific evaluator, please make the case. He was hit or miss, sure blew it on a lot of kids, and took some kids that were obvious bad evals at the time, not just in retrospect. He also signed far too many kids who weren’t able to get in or stay in, making him a poor roster manager, and didn’t sign any kids who became great nfl players.

Miami could raise and spend more money on athletics if they wanted to. But they don’t, and here we are.

Raise from whom? The cheap *** fanbase that couldn't even come up with 16 million for an IPF, without being browbeaten for it? The same fanbase that even when times are good can barely be ****d to come to the stadium unless it's a huge game? That fanbase?

Now, some of this is not the fanbase's fault(Miami's alumni donor pool is shallow due to how few alumni there are), but some blame should be placed at the loud voices in the room that talk a big game, but don't do diddly squat.

Advertisement
Campbell would be #1 for me. Fleck would probably be #2.

Campbell seems like he might be waiting for an NFL offer, although I’m not sure if the NFL interest in him is even that real or if it’s just to fulfill the Rooney rule.

Richt was getting paid $4 or 4.5 million a year. Not sure if that includes the $1 million per year he gave up for the IPF. Richt’s hiring shows the admin isn’t always cheap.

But, with that being said, it’s pretty telling that the IPF wasn’t built until Richt urged it to be built in the second half of the 2010s. All while we’re in the state with the most thunderstorms in the country.

That’s an absurd response, imo. Questioning manny diaz as a recruiter is ‘ignorant at best [or] intentionally dishinest’? You must have failed 8th grade three times. It’s hard to know how to respond to delusional rants. Manny is proven as a recruiter? Really? Good luck with your career in data analytics.

Not sure why you’re mentioning richt’s defensive corches to begin with, but also note his ‘legendary’ defensive hires include Kuligowski, who was overrated at UM, failed at Alabama and is currently working at Toldeo. Simpson coached at UM for one season, and no complaints about him but not clear why everyone has made him into a heroic figure, either. And loudmouth manny, who, we’ll see.

As for golden, if you think he was a terrific evaluator, please make the case. He was hit or miss, sure blew it on a lot of kids, and took some kids that were obvious bad evals at the time, not just in retrospect. He also signed far too many kids who weren’t able to get in or stay in, making him a poor roster manager, and didn’t sign any kids who became great nfl players.

Nice reply. You come across as a know it all prick who doesn't like being called out on his bull****. Talk about delusional rants. Sensitive much?

#1 Never said Manny is a "proven" recruiter (whatever that means), but to imply that he's not a good recruiter is nonsense and you know it.

#2 You stated that Richt built a mediocre staff. I agree that his offensive staff was crap but disagree on the defensive side of the ball. Kuligowski was widely regarded as a home-run hire when he came to Miami. Simpson is coaching DL in the NFL and Diaz has produced outstanding defenses in each of his 4 years at Miami.

#3 I never said Golden was a "terrific" evaluator. I simply pointed out the fact that he put 30 guys in the NFL. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Raise from whom? The cheap *** fanbase that couldn't even come up with 16 million for an IPF, without being browbeaten for it? The same fanbase that even when times are good can barely be ****d to come to the stadium unless it's a huge game? That fanbase?

Now, some of this is not the fanbase's fault(Miami's alumni donor pool is shallow due to how few alumni there are), but some blame should be placed at the loud voices in the room that talk a big game, but don't do diddly squat.
Let’s see, BILLIONS were raised for expansion of the school, and other initiatives. This money doesn’t come from passing the hat at church and bake sales.

I’ll grant a college football program at a small, private university in a metropolitan environment presents a set of challenges different than a large public school with a rich history. No argument. Miami will not have the resources of Texas or Alabama or Clemson.

I do believe more money could be raised and spent on athletics, and football in particular, if the school chose to pursue additional funding. The money was found to fire and buy out Golden when the program was embarrassed 58-0 on national television. The money was found to hire Richt at much higher salary than Golden’s, plus a larger pool for assistants. The money was found to buy Manny Diaz back from Temple when Richt suddenly retired. These were multi-million dollar expenditures.

Dave Clawson - He has won at four different spots.
Luke Fickell - The hot up and comer
Matt Wells – Extremely underrated coach. Gil Brandt raved about him.
Tom Allen - Winning at Indiana. Enough said.
P.J. Fleck - Big time coach might wait on one of the bigger spots or even the NFL

Let’s see, BILLIONS were raised for expansion of the school, and other initiatives. This money doesn’t come from passing the hat at church and bake sales.

I’ll grant a college football program at a small, private university in a metropolitan environment presents a set of challenges different than a large public school with a rich history. No argument. Miami will not have the resources of Texas or Alabama or Clemson.

I do believe more money could be raised and spent on athletics, and football in particular, if the school chose to pursue additional funding. The money was found to fire and buy out Golden when the program was embarrassed 58-0 on national television. The money was found to hire Richt at much higher salary than Golden’s, plus a larger pool for assistants. The money was found to buy Manny Diaz back from Temple when Richt suddenly retired. These were multi-million dollar expenditures.

Let me guess, you're one of these people that think that academic fundraising can be linked to athletic fundraising. Do you people not realize that the majority of that 2 billion raised was 1) Earmarked for specific purposes and 2)Examples of donors being sold on specific research projects. What athletics raise, they keep. The problem is that 1) This fanbase is pathetically cheap and 2) Miami is being outspent 2 and sometimes 3 to 1 by schools Miami is expected to beat on the national level. Yes, if a pressing need is there, Miami can lean on a donor to donate(provided something awful happens and a change desperately needs to be made), but that isn't a long term strategy. So, unless Miami finds a T. Boone Pickens level donor, they will continue to be screwed. Miami has to find a way to maximize the revenue that does come in. For example, not hiring Manny Diaz from Temple, when you luck out and not have to pay a buyout for Richt. Yes, Richt made more than Golden, but the extra money he received, came out of the assistant pool, and it showed. Miami's assistants were mediocre during the Richt era, and it was obvious that the budget was iffy.

Keep in mind, this fanbase literally couldn't come up with 15-20 million dollars for the IPF in a timely fashion. Let that settle in. Other major schools can make one phone call and get double that.

Advertisement
1. Josh Heupel
2. Billy Napier
3. Rhett Lashlee
4. Cale Gundy
5. Zach Arnett

I also think Justin Wilcox & Dino Babers would do well here.

I’ve been on the Dino bandwagon for years. The kids we recruit & can recruit would love to play in that offense. Plus he wins with less alot. Here he wouldn’t have less. Most cases he’d have more.

Here’s what we should be hiring for:
- leadership and accountability
- evaluation and recruiting (selling) skills, and commitment
- ability to build a staff
- high expectations/ambition

Out of people who meet those criteria, we should screen for offensive and defensive philosophy (scheme and style), to ensure fit with our program’s assets (local talent and culture).

I personally wouldn’t hire a fancy coordinator. Too much risk on the critical traits, and not needed because the right HC will get the right staff hired and system implemented. The job of the HC isn’t offensive scheming. It’s running a program. Talent eval, roster management, recruiting, retention of key players, position selection/changes, staff composition, S&C, development, scheme, game planning, play calling, motivation, nutrition, alumni relations, media relations, etc.

If you score our past HCs, you can see they all failed the basic criteria.

Coker wasn’t a leader, and didn’t hold his staff accountable, was terrible as a recruiter / evaluator (recruited off lists), allowed our S&C to decline dramatically, and allowed a culture of low expectations to set in.

Shannon wasn’t a leader, and didn’t build a good staff, maintained no discipline on S&C, and was mediocre and reluctant as a recruiter / evaluator.

Golden was a snake-oil salesman, didn’t hold his butt buddy accountable, was not a good recruiter or evaluator, got his schemes totally wrong for our program, and continued a mediocre S&C program. He was all spin and deflection, and had no expectation of real success.

Richt built a mediocre staff, and obviously had no accountability given his son’s performance and our offense’s performance generally. He hired a terrible S&C guy and didn’t fix it. He was a very lazy roster manager and mediocre evaluator. And he was clearly content with ‘okay’ results. He came to UM to retire, not compete.

Diaz, not a leader, lots of talk, no accountability, mediocre staff at best, not a good recruiter / evaluator.
So, of the still living HCs, BUTCH FIGGING DAVIS? I agree.

Us
1st you ask "How is Diaz not a Good recruiter"??....Then the last paragraph you state "He's not a Good recruiter".....are you seriously answering your original stupid question??
Usually agree with you but Manny's been recruiting defense four several years. How many 1st round picks so far? How many underclassmen do you expect to go 1st round? In all fairness I never like Manny as DC. Just another nole on the staff to me.

Advertisement
Back