What would be your top 5 Realistic HC Wishlist for Miami?

Advertisement
For those claiming some HCs will only take an elite job, what does Miami have to do to be elite? Win the ACC a few times and make the CFP? Win a national championship? Pay $5m+?

We all agree Miami enjoys an elite recruiting base. I do not believe facilities are an issue unless you think Greentree waterslides, a miniature golf course, and locker rooms where each locker is a private room with a full bar.

Other than a will-never-exist on-campus stadium, what do you think is missing?
I would say win 2 ACC championships over the next 5 years and constantly win 10+ games each season. Problem is the hot Recruiting bed we sit on is getting picked dry for the SEC. I don't see us keeping all the South Florida kids home untill we are a consistent 10+ win team.

I think he would only leave for a job like Penn State, Michigan or something similar. I believe he's had several quality P5 offers he's turned down. He turned down FSU this year.

Campbell could leave Iowa State but may not be interested in rebuilding a floundering program like FSU, or Miami. A coach can win big at either school but both have underlying cultural issues that will be difficult to overcome.

I would say win 2 ACC championships over the next 5 years and constantly win 10+ games each season. Problem is the hot Recruiting bed we sit on is getting picked dry for the SEC. I don't see us keeping all the South Florida kids home untill we are a consistent 10+ win team.

Is Texas an elite program? The Longhorns have not won a Big 12 title since 2009, with one (1) 10-game win season since then. The State of Texas is as deep a recruiting based as the State of Florida.

Advertisement
Campbell could leave Iowa State but may not be interested in rebuilding a floundering program like FSU, or Miami. A coach can win big at either school but both have underlying cultural issues that will be difficult to overcome.
Is Texas an elite program? The Longhorns have not won a Big 12 title since 2009, with one (1) 10-game win season since then. The State of Texas is as deep a recruiting based as the State of Florida.
Texas has elite Facilities and the money to do whatever they want. Everything is in place for them to compete for national championships if they get the right coach. We are a completely different scenario

Advertisement
For those claiming some HCs will only take an elite job, what does Miami have to do to be elite? Win the ACC a few times and make the CFP? Win a national championship? Pay $5m+?

We all agree Miami enjoys an elite recruiting base. I do not believe facilities are an issue unless you think Greentree waterslides, a miniature golf course, and locker rooms where each locker is a private room with a full bar.

Other than a will-never-exist on-campus stadium, what do you think is missing?

You will never get the full on "Booster" support that you'll get at these factory schools in regards to recruiting. You won't be able to get away with obvious stupid crap, because the media down here isn't owned wholesale by the athletic department.

Miami is a good job for a coach that understands that Miami isn't the typical college job. It's a pro job, but at the college level. USC is similar, the only difference is that USC has a large alumni base, and they spend money.

Texas has elite Facilities and the money to do whatever they want. Everything is in place for them to compete for national championships if they get the right coach. We are a completely different scenario
Okay...Texas has elite facilities, funding, and recruiting base. Despite these advantages they have been unable to hire a HC to deliver elite results. So, the Longhorns are not an elite program.

I’m not comparing Miami to Texas. The Canes have facilities and the recruiting base, but not the funding. Or, at least the will or desire to spend the money.

You will never get the full on "Booster" support that you'll get at these factory schools in regards to recruiting. You won't be able to get away with obvious stupid crap, because the media down here isn't owned wholesale by the athletic department.

Miami is a good job for a coach that understands that Miami isn't the typical college job. It's a pro job, but at the college level. USC is similar, the only difference is that USC has a large alumni base, and they spend money.
Fair enough, but booster support wasn’t an issue in the 80s, early 90s, and early 2000s. Is the only difference the coaching and administrative budgets? If Miami offered $6M/yr to the HC, $12M/yr for staff, and a 50% increase in the support/recruiting budgets would the job be elite?

Advertisement
Fair enough, but booster support wasn’t an issue in the 80s, early 90s, and early 2000s. Is the only difference the coaching and administrative budgets? If Miami offered $6M/yr to the HC, $12M/yr for staff, and a 50% increase in the support/recruiting budgets would the job be elite?

The game was significantly different 30 years ago. Budgets matter. Some coaches also want to be able to control every single thing about the program, you can't do that in Miami. You won't be treated as a God here, because football coaches are a dime a dozen here. If you do dirt, it's going to be found out, because the media isn't owned by the school.

Some coaches don't want that. They want the insular atmosphere that can be found in a place like Happy Valley, or Clemson. Think about it, you think that Miami could have had a Jerry Sandusky situation go on for DECADES and no one noticed? Of course not, because the community doesn't care enough to cover that kind of stuff up. There's a reason why most of these awful scandals happen in these small, isolated college towns(Waco, Gainesville, Tallahassee).

The Miami job will never be truly elite, because there are legitimate obstacles in the way, obstacles that don't exist at other schools. Once again, Miami can be a great job, a top 10 job even, but only for the right kind of coach. You can plug in **** near anyone at a place like LSU, and if they are competent they will find success. How do I know that? Ed Orgeron won a title at LSU, but was a miserable failure at Ole Miss. You really think Ed magically became a better coach? No, LSU has the resources and support to cover every single one of Ed's shortcomings. You can take decent coaches, put them at Miami, and they will fail, because your shortcomings will be exposed quickly. Not a strong recruiter? You will get exposed. Not a strong identifier of undervalued assistants? You will get exposed. Unable to build rapport with the media? Exactly.

Okay...Texas has elite facilities, funding, and recruiting base. Despite these advantages they have been unable to hire a HC to deliver elite results. So, the Longhorns are not an elite program.

I’m not comparing Miami to Texas. The Canes have facilities and the recruiting base, but not the funding. Or, at least the will or desire to spend the money.

Programs underachieve, and college football is cyclical. Historically, Texas is an elite program. Remember the following: Ohio State went over 30+ years without a national championship, were they not elite? Alabama has had long stretches without a title. Same with Michigan, Penn State and others.

By the way, Miami has good facilities, but let's be honest: We aren't nearly at the level these factory schools are putting out. We've come a long way, but there's only so much revenue available for a program like Miami, compared to a place like Penn State, where they are literally the economic engine for an entire region.

Advertisement
It would have to be a guy who’s bringing his own playbook with him. And not the coloring book Mark Richt brought. I don’t want another CEO type where we’d still have to find the right OC/DC combination. No conservative guys either. A lot of those guys succeed at middle of the road jobs because they can get a bunch of mediocre 3 star players to buy into their system and they can win 8 games a year with teams full of nondescript 4th and 5th year players. That shtick will never work here. Miami will never be a “lunch pail” program and “lunch pail” coaches will fail hard here.

Denzel Washington - Very intense, also teddy bridgewater would've played for him.
Al Pacino - Best halftime speeches.
Rick Moranis - He beat Al Bundy.
I'm all in on Denzel for just about anything. I would like Bundy for RB coach,

Trustees hire the HC, not the Athletic Department.

HC's hire Coordinators, not the Athletic Department.

Coordinators hire Assistants, not the Athletic Department.
Clealy we need better Trustees. Maybe we can recruit some Trustees out of the Prison system, I hear they have them.

Advertisement
Back