What will it take to derail the SEC?

medearis

Recruit
How much longer will this dominant cycle exist? National champs 6 years in a row. What teams/conferences have the ability to stop them?

My vote as the only viable candidates over the next decade:
-OSU with Meyer. Guy did it in the SEC and OSU will be loaded with talent.
-Texas with an actual coach
-USC with their NFL staff

second tier:
-Us
-FSU with an actual coaching staff

Advertisement
Protect SF
How much longer will this dominant cycle exist? National champs 6 years in a row. What teams/conferences have the ability to stop them?

second tier:
-Us

Well as long as they have low admissions standards lower than most conferences they'll continue to dominate especially because they're in the south where most football talent comes from.

Arent there going to be penalties in 2013 or 14 for poor graduation rates?!? That would kill the SEC.

Advertisement
oregon
USC
Texas
OU
OSU
Clemson
Miami
FSU

are the only schools with the ability to recruit top talent and money(not us).

Protect SF

second tier:
-Us

Overrated. If you look at the elite SEC schools, few South Florida kids are on the roster. I don't know where people get the misconception SEC teams are loaded with South Florida kids. LSU for example only had 9 Florida kids on the entire roster. People talk about the SEC speed, blah, blah, blah, but the difference is coaching.

3 of the coaches have won national titles. 2 more have gone to multiple BCS games, and this is without Meyer included or it would be 4 coaches with national titles. Mullen won a title as an assistant as did Muschamp. Dooley won one as an assistant as well. Think about this, Richt has gone to multiple BCS games and he's the redheaded stepchild of the league. Coaching and resources, a lot of the SEC schools have an enormous athletic budget and invest heavily in their teams. There's really no secret. The ACC has had just as many players drafted the past few years, it's the coaching.

oregon
USC
Texas
OU
OSU
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Sorry, but USC is the ONLY school that is situated to break the SEC stranglehold.

Maybe Texas.

Miami COULD be, if Golden can get things going. All those other schools, are just schools that choke when the spotlight shines on them

We just need to recruit better and develop those kids like a college team should. We've had some talent obviously because we're still getting kids drafted, they just never meet their full potential while at Miami. If we do that we should be able to compete with anyone.

Advertisement
We just need to recruit better and develop those kids like a college team should. We've had some talent obviously because we're still getting kids drafted, they just never meet their full potential while at Miami. If we do that we should be able to compete with anyone.

If you can get back to that old Miami vibe, "eff you, we gonna beat your asses and then steal your girlfriends" definitely

You gotta have an ATTITUDE when you play these dudes. USC has it. Miami HAS had it, and Maybe Texas could.

Clemson? please

Advertisement
This. Although I would include Notre Dame to the list of schools that "could" break the SEC stronghold.

oregon
USC
Texas
OU
OSU
Clemson
Miami
FSU

Sorry, but USC is the ONLY school that is situated to break the SEC stranglehold.

Maybe Texas.

Miami COULD be, if Golden can get things going. All those other schools, are just schools that choke when the spotlight shines on them

Advertisement
Agree with the poster who mentioned that it comes down to coaching. The SEC is where you have the greatest depth of good coaches. They do spend an disproportionate amount on their coaches, facilities, and have also had their success augmented by the mostly easier admissions standards. Factor in that places like Bama were oversigning at an extremely high rate relative to other schools, and you have your reasons for success.

I have no doubt that Miami or FSU could knock off the SEC. You don't need to to have the "beat your asses and steal your GFs" attitude either. Butch's teams didn't have that. They just were physically and mentally better. That comes from coaching and S & C. I suspect that Golden can do it. It's going to take a few years, but if he can make the right changes to the S & C program and tweak a position coach here or there, I think he'll be on his way. His level of organization, work ethic, and drive, are stronger than Butch's when he first got to Miami. He's shown he can win at other places, and there's no reason to believe he won't at Miami.

As for USC, I think Oregon will continue to be a thorn in their side. I'm not sold on Kiffin. I think he, himself, is a liability. He tends to have self-destructive tendencies. I don't see them having the same success they had under PC. They were Miami West when PC was around. Kiffin is < PC.

Had Harbaugh stayed, I think Stanford would have been a legit team annually with a good enough team to beat the best of the SEC. Without him and without Luck, I don't see them being able to maintain their success.

Finally, Texas could certainly do it. They have the players for sure. If Brown retires, and they sign say Patterson. They'll be nasty.

Ohio St under Meyer could do it. Michigan finally has a nice trio of coaches in Hoke, Mathieson, and Borges. They just need to get the right players. I'm not sure if they're up to that caliber, but I do like that coaching staff.

facilities? I remember when we used to laugh (attendance as well) at other programs for those reasons as to why we are behind (when we were actually good). Has it really become an arms race?

Advertisement
Back