What will it take to derail the SEC?

if you abolish the the BCS you will still have the SEC in the title game 9 times out of 10...theyve been top heavy for a little while now and mainly West heavy outside of Florida in 06 and 08

Advertisement
Agree with the poster who mentioned that it comes down to coaching. The SEC is where you have the greatest depth of good coaches. They do spend an disproportionate amount on their coaches, facilities, and have also had their success augmented by the mostly easier admissions standards. Factor in that places like Bama were oversigning at an extremely high rate relative to other schools, and you have your reasons for success.

I have no doubt that Miami or FSU could knock off the SEC. You don't need to to have the "beat your asses and steal your GFs" attitude either. Butch's teams didn't have that. They just were physically and mentally better. That comes from coaching and S & C. I suspect that Golden can do it. It's going to take a few years, but if he can make the right changes to the S & C program and tweak a position coach here or there, I think he'll be on his way. His level of organization, work ethic, and drive, are stronger than Butch's when he first got to Miami. He's shown he can win at other places, and there's no reason to believe he won't at Miami.

As for USC, I think Oregon will continue to be a thorn in their side. I'm not sold on Kiffin. I think he, himself, is a liability. He tends to have self-destructive tendencies. I don't see them having the same success they had under PC. They were Miami West when PC was around. Kiffin is < PC.

Had Harbaugh stayed, I think Stanford would have been a legit team annually with a good enough team to beat the best of the SEC. Without him and without Luck, I don't see them being able to maintain their success.

Finally, Texas could certainly do it. They have the players for sure. If Brown retires, and they sign say Patterson. They'll be nasty.

Ohio St under Meyer could do it. Michigan finally has a nice trio of coaches in Hoke, Mathieson, and Borges. They just need to get the right players. I'm not sure if they're up to that caliber, but I do like that coaching staff.

Excellent take. The SEC is FILLED with top tier coaches and talent - hard to overcome. It doesn't help that perennial winning teams like FSU, Miami, USC, OSU, Mich, etc. are all down. If those schools get back up to where they should be, should be intredasting!

All good responses but something underrated is the population shift to the southeast. No coincidence to me that the strongest and deepest programs are all in the southeast, us, FSU and Virginia Tech included.

I also believe the SEC is using HGH or some derivative and uses their "Foundations" as a payroll system.

When we say break the SEC stranglehold, we mean just beat them in the title game right?

I wasnt talking about running train for a few years. They will always get theirs

Advertisement
How much longer will this dominant cycle exist? National champs 6 years in a row. What teams/conferences have the ability to stop them?

My vote as the only viable candidates over the next decade:
-OSU with Meyer. Guy did it in the SEC and OSU will be loaded with talent.
-Texas with an actual coach
-USC with their NFL staff

second tier:
-Us
-FSU with an actual coaching staff

The SEC monopoly will be ended when the NCAA does one of the following

1.) Penalize teams for low graduation rates, out of control arrest #s, and poor GPA
2.) Open their eyes and realize the SEC not only has the highest paid coaches but the highest paid players

Miami is at a disadvantage because our admission standards are not simply the ncaa minimum (Marshall and WVU, more than likely LSU). If the NCAA does #1 it will at least help level the playing field.

I dont think #2 will happen, wayyyy too much money involved.

The ACC as a conference is the closest in talent level but the coaching is pretty bad outside of golden, jimbo, beamer (i dont count PJ at GT because that offense will never win big in todays game)

Agree with the poster who mentioned that it comes down to coaching. The SEC is where you have the greatest depth of good coaches. They do spend an disproportionate amount on their coaches, facilities, and have also had their success augmented by the mostly easier admissions standards. Factor in that places like Bama were oversigning at an extremely high rate relative to other schools, and you have your reasons for success.

I have no doubt that Miami or FSU could knock off the SEC. You don't need to to have the "beat your asses and steal your GFs" attitude either. Butch's teams didn't have that. They just were physically and mentally better. That comes from coaching and S & C. I suspect that Golden can do it. It's going to take a few years, but if he can make the right changes to the S & C program and tweak a position coach here or there, I think he'll be on his way. His level of organization, work ethic, and drive, are stronger than Butch's when he first got to Miami. He's shown he can win at other places, and there's no reason to believe he won't at Miami.

As for USC, I think Oregon will continue to be a thorn in their side. I'm not sold on Kiffin. I think he, himself, is a liability. He tends to have self-destructive tendencies. I don't see them having the same success they had under PC. They were Miami West when PC was around. Kiffin is < PC.

Had Harbaugh stayed, I think Stanford would have been a legit team annually with a good enough team to beat the best of the SEC. Without him and without Luck, I don't see them being able to maintain their success.

Finally, Texas could certainly do it. They have the players for sure. If Brown retires, and they sign say Patterson. They'll be nasty.

Ohio St under Meyer could do it. Michigan finally has a nice trio of coaches in Hoke, Mathieson, and Borges. They just need to get the right players. I'm not sure if they're up to that caliber, but I do like that coaching staff.

Excellent take. The SEC is FILLED with top tier coaches and talent - hard to overcome. It doesn't help that perennial winning teams like FSU, Miami, USC, OSU, Mich, etc. are all down. If those schools get back up to where they should be, should be intredasting!

I know I am a USC Homer, but I contend that USC IS back. We finished Number 5 in the AP Poll, had 4 Freshman All Americans and will have something like 55 players on the roster in September who will have at least three years eligibility.

I tell you what, if USC IS back, and Miami can get back to where they were 10 years ago, **** The SEC.

blem, true - they've done great this year (on the shoulders of barkely), but let's see how the next few seasons shake out...

Btw, who's next in line after Barkley?

Good to see you on this board.

Blem you guys havent even begun to feel the effects of the probation penalties.

Gimme a break.

Advertisement
Expanded payroll elsewhere in the country.

SEC pays and acquires the top coaches.
SEC pays and acquires the top players.

Fin.

Expanded payroll elsewhere in the country.

SEC pays and acquires the top coaches.
SEC pays and acquires the top players.

Fin.

larrrrrry you too real for em!!!

bump all the jibber jabber..larry just told you what the deal was. no need for 5 page responses and explanations.

I know I am a USC Homer, but I contend that USC IS back. We finished Number 5 in the AP Poll, had 4 Freshman All Americans and will have something like 55 players on the roster in September who will have at least three years eligibility.

I tell you what, if USC IS back, and Miami can get back to where they were 10 years ago, **** The SEC.

Why the **** are you even here ? don't you got a Southern Cal board or some **** to go to.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back