What we are

Advertisement
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
More than fair but I just don’t see it happening. A few days before we kicked off against Bama I started creating a post asking if Manny could survive a 5 loss season and getting hammered by Bama. After writing it, I read it and told myself I was going to get destroyed on here if I posted it and so I walked away from it.

From my perspective, obsessing over firing a coach after two games his third year, when he is 1-1 in his third year (with the loss to Alabama), went 8-3 in his second and has momentum with recruiting high schools and via the portal, is COMPLETELY bat**** embarrassing. it's a caricature of a dumb Auburn fan.

Are these guys mostly alums of the school or just fans of the U?

Most of them are guys that have a couple of T-shirts in the closet and are embarrassed to wear them when they’re trying to work off their flabby guts by walking to the mailbox.

A lot of people are angry that put money into the program including myself, but more in a general sense, and about certain specific things, not like this burn the place down type of attitude.

My feeling is this, there’s a whole year of football left to be played. Why do people want to bring the pitchforks now when the team is 1-1, although there’s no excuse for the last game.

Legitimately criticizing and wanting accountability is one thing. Wishing for failure is a sick kind of twisted mentality though.

Reasonable, although if we finish somewhere around 20, it would likely mean we had in the neighborhood of four losses which to me would be a significant disappointment and well below expectations.

I’m not gonna go nuts if we finish ranked 16/17 with two losses or three. What I am looking for is a major improvement in coaching fundamentals such as preparation and other key fundamental coaching attributes.
That's definitely fair. Hopefully the staff will show/make some good adjustments for the rest of the season.

To me, my hopes are high, but my expectations are probably a little lower. I think we're a very similar team to last year when we finished 8-3 and #22. So if we finished say 9-4 and #20 - that feels like a similar result for a similar team to me. Not the step forward we wanted, but not a big disappointment either.

Advertisement
We finished 22nd last year, hired a couple expensive coaches and brought almost everyone back. Top 15 is a very realistic expectation without having to live in the past.
So, hiring a "couple expensive coaches" is the solution to becoming a top 15 program? DL and secondary play doesn't seem any better. And what's expensive by Miami's standards is not for most top 15 programs. If coaching salaries equates to rankings, then Canes will remain little more than middle-of-the-pack. Hope it's not the case, but don't see Miami being a consistent top 15 team any time soon. Would love to be wrong.

Do you think we could have gone into Knoxville last week and won by a score? I don't think I do. Obviously if we play like we are capable of playing, then the answer is yes...but that seems to be our biggest issue. We are consistent underachievers. I know UTk isn't a world beater by any means, but I feel like they don't need to be to beat us right now.

I know the answer to this question doesn't outright say we are/are not Pittsburgh, but it's an honest question related to the conversation obviously.
Ten is a **** show, one of the worst programs in cfb. Nobody but a mope Miami fan thinks we’re in same level as Pit. I mean everything , brand , team and recruiting. Miami is better, does that mean anything ? No, one is average and the other is above average. That’s the problem here, people either over react one way or the other , but to say we’re pit or a sunbelt team is just silly.

Advertisement
Bull****.

If Manny got us to top 15 every year for the next five years, you would STILL want him fired for not taking the next step and becoming a Bama/UGA/Clemson. I know this fanbase, the Miami fanbase is the worst in college football, everyone knows it.

The App State nonsense is just a red herring. If we ended up 11-3 or 10-4 every year to get us in the top 15, you and others would STILL be clamoring for a new coach.
How about we actually get there and then see?

Like i said before. We are a walking top 15, top 12 recruiting class. How u get from that level to top 7, top 5?.... is by showing progress on the field. Its that simple. We have been nothing. Short of underwhelming especially compared to how competition. We need better coaching. Only way to fix on field play and recruiting simultaneously

Advertisement
The Athletic released a poll of coaches/ADs on the best jobs in college football. Miami finished 13th.

247's "Team Talent Composite" calculates total recruiting rankings for each team's roster. Miami finished 13th.

Before the season, the AP poll picked us 14th. Our NFL numbers fluctuate but are now in the 10-13 range.

What's the point? I think a fair current expectation and goal is the Top 15. Anything outside of that is a disappointment, and anything within that is progress. Amazingly, we only finished Top 15 once in the past sixteen years. That was 2017, when we finished 13th.

We all know the ceiling is higher than Top 15. This is a program that has won championships in three different decades. But the best way to move towards that long-term goal is to hit the realistic short-term goal. This team needs to beat Michigan State, perform well in the ACC, hopefully win a bowl and finish in the Top 15. That is a fair expectation.
Agreed, DMoney. Top 15 is a realistic, achievable goal for this program. We have the talent to do it. If not, then it falls squarely on the shoulders of Manny and staff.

And btw for all you claiming we not supposed to be a top 15 team consistently, look st our competition. Our coaches have been garbage truck juice for the entire time we been in the ACC. We need a new hiring process after Diaz has worn out is welcome. He started this year already

Advertisement
The program was literally light years ahead of UNC even in Dichts last, awful year. Took Mack (old, unintelligent) Brown exactly one week to pass up Manny's "New" U.

Mack is Mannys padre! Or Manny is Mack's ****? (I'm not fluent in Mexican)

Thus why Mannylitos Fannylitos now accept losing to UNC as part of their ever lowered "expectations".

Miami is easily a top 15 team on the reg if we’d actually hire a coach worth his salt. The bad thing is our coaches make us play beneath the recruiting rankings and talent.

Agree and that's the point. With manny, we are a top 25 team (8-9 wins). Middle of the ACC pack.

With a worthwhile staff but especially HC, we are a top 15 team/.

We can win the coastal and I’ll still be worried for the future if we look the way we’ve looked fundamentally. Missed tackles, dropped balls, busted coverages. If we continue to see those at a decent clip like we have, I’ll still be annoyed.

Advertisement
Back