What Song To Set The 2021 Season To?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I seriously hope you didn't just compare Tom Petty to Journey.

Please tell me that's not what you were doing.

I mean, bad choice, but Tom Petty is Tom Petty and Journey is Journey.
No. “Even the Losers... get lucky sometimes” was the joke.
I’ve seen em both in concert in the 80’s by chance.

Tom Petty ( may he RIP) was a gaytor.

I’ve seen Journey twice. Once with “The Voice” Steve Perry and once with the guy that replaced him after he retired Steve Auggiere. Although Auggiere was pretty good, hardly anyone can compare to Perry.

To be fair, I wasn't trashing the names of the songs (or the themes) so much as the songs themselves.

Don't Stop Believing wasn't even popular until The Sopranos ended the series with it, then it became a last call staple all throughout the Northeast for dip**** guidos and drunk girls to fist pump and puke to at 4am.

Even the Losers is, in fact, a good song.

Advertisement
To be fair, I wasn't trashing the names of the songs (or the themes) so much as the songs themselves.

Don't Stop Believing wasn't even popular until The Sopranos ended the series with it, then it became a last call staple all throughout the Northeast for dip**** guidos and drunk girls to fist pump and puke to at 4am.

Wrong.

Don't Stop Believing was a hugely popular song in the 1980s. The very fact that it was used on The Sopranos was BECAUSE it was popular (as opposed to, say, the use of "Thru and Thru" by The Rolling Stones on The Sopranos, which was NOT a big song for The Stones).

But, yes, the use of "Don't Stop Believing" certainly made the song popular FOR A NEW GENERATION, and the song will now always be linked to that scene (just as "Stuck in the Middle with You" is forever connected to Mr. Blonde's ear-cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs).

However, to say that Don't Stop Believing "wasn't even popular until The Sopranos..." is just an insane and false statement.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You're showing your age with that statement. Don't Stop Believing was a top 10 song in 1981. It was also the music on the Journey Escape Atari game.

Another KrazyCane success...

1619026211705.png

You have to be younger than me. I don’t care about Journey but that Escape Album - and Don’t Stop Believing was on that one - was pretty big and got a lot of radio play when it came out in 81. There were like 5 or 6 songs that got a good amount of radio play. Plus - that was like the 3rd concert I went to in 82 as a 10th grader and some hot ****** spandex chick took her top off in front of me - so there’s that too 💁🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
Back