What Song To Set The 2021 Season To?

“i have a water bag with no hole in it. I know my way with the four stars in the sky... I know my paths in the sandstorms desert...”

Badazz. We got some Canes over here....

Last edited:
Advertisement
By a bit, yes. I was going to rapmetal concerts in high school. But I suuuuure do remember girls taking their tops off at those shows.

Some things never change.

And I know Don't Stop Believing was a hit early on. But it was largely forgotten. I had the really bad fortune of graduating from The U right after The Sopranos ended, then going to work in NYC and hearing that god awful f@#king song in every lame Midtown bar every time I went out. You couldn't walk down the block without hearing it.
Lol. Whats worse - Don’t Stop Believing or Montel Jordan’s “This is How We Do It”???

I am not ashamed to admit that I have never heard about and much less listened to almost all of the songs posted in this thread. This is my pick:

Advertisement
Firstly no I’m not a psychotic bizarre fan of any singers, or groups. I have an appreciation for many genres of music, and yes The Smiths and Morrissey music is very whiny “and by DONT you just shoot yourself?” Music but in my opinion I still like their songs, just like I enjoy many other genres, my taste in music is all over the place, so don’t make assumptions.

As per your belief that Journey had a revival after The Sopranos, is a bit ludicrous. Journey, especially Don’t Stop Believing, has been a mainstay in stadiums, in bars, and privately people play it themselves. Radio play is a foolish standard of a songs popularity or staying power. Now the best example you want to use is Queen, a band that with the exception of one song , Another One Bites The Dust, never had a number 1 in the US, and whose music was followed more quietly here, I was one of those thanks to my uncle. Then comes Wayne’s World and the famous Bohemian Rhapsody scene and BOOM their popularity in the US blew up

@TheOriginalCane @RVACane your thoughts?
I agree with you and @TheOriginalCane for certain on the song being a classic even though it’s not a favorite of mine. As I said before, Escape was a huge album with like 5 songs or so that got rock station radio play when it came out but it crossed over huge as well and that album was definitely played on the pop stations which I think Y-100 and 96X were back then plus 103.5 WSHE played it and they were rock. I saw the Escape concert on tour. It took them to a different level. They had Wheel in the Sky and When the Lights Go Down in the City before that but this album made them an arena headlining band.

As for Queen, I was fortunate enough to see Queen with Freddie Mercury in concert - I think it was the summer of 82 - in Madison Square Garden during the Hot Spaces tour with Billy Squier opening. They were phenomenal and a lot of their songs got played massively on rock stations. Another One Bites the Dust and Under Pressure with David Bowie got the pop play. Bohemian Rhapsody got a lot of play - I had the 45 as a kid and I remember playing that, Band on the Run (Wings) and One of These Nights (The Eagles) over and over.

All of these groups are rooted in rock not pop. And the popularity and strength these bands had can’t be judged by pop radio play or even by number one hits. How many albums has Paul McCartney with and without Wings, Queen, The Eagles - and even Journey sold? Journey, of all of them, probably was helped most on the pop side and Escape did that then you had that Oh Sherri and Open Arms shît to follow up. You can go on and on naming influential rock groups like the others though who mostly succeeded selling in rock circles but had outlier pop station success - Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, The Who... Did Stairway to Heaven even get pop radio play? Did The Doors? Did pop radio only come into being in the mid 70’s???

I’m too young to remember when “Don’t Stop Believing” was new but I can assure you that drunk white people were playing it on bar jukeboxes and signing it at karaoke way before the Sopranos final episode. It’s up there with “Sweet Caroline” and “Livin’ on a Prayer” for most popular drunk white guy song.
Wi pipo Krazy. Ask @KrazyCane

You have to be younger than me. I don’t care about Journey but that Escape Album - and Don’t Stop Believing was on that one - was pretty big and got a lot of radio play when it came out in 81. There were like 5 or 6 songs that got a good amount of radio play. Plus - that was like the 3rd concert I went to in 82 as a 10th grader and some hot ****** spandex chick took her top off in front of me - so there’s that too 💁🏻‍♂️
Raised on Radio a good *** album

Advertisement
Advertisement
I posted this question a year ago, going for the orchestra version of Cold Play's Fix You.

I've been pondering the upcoming 2021 season, and finally have come to a band that I only recently discovered - Savatage.

What would you put this season to?

SIAP, but how could it not be "Running on Empty" - Jackson Browne

Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
Looking back at the years gone by like so many summer fields
In '65, I was 17 and running up one-on-one
I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on
Running on (running on empty)
Running on (running blind)
Running on (running into the sun)
But I'm running behind
Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive
Trying not to confuse it, with what you do to survive
In '69, I was 21 and I called the road my own
I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on
But I'm running behind
Everyone I know, everywhere I go
People need some reason to believe
I don't know about anyone, but me
If it takes all night, that'll be all right
If I can get you to smile before I leave
Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels
I don't know how to tell you all just how crazy this life feels
Look around for the friends that I used to turn to to pull me through
Looking into their eyes, I see them running too

But I'm running behind
Honey, you really tempt me
You know the way you look so kind
I'd love to stick around, but I'm running behind
(Running on) You know I don't even know what I'm hoping to find
(Running blind) Running into the sun, but I'm running behind

Advertisement
2021 Anthem is to all the busters that will catch L's. Especially those punk *** Seminoles and Tar Heels.

Advertisement
Back