What Song To Set The 2021 Season To?

If you like The Smiths, or anything Morrissey, please see my initial comment about turning in your balls and changing your name to Susan.

What a whiny little used kleenex.
That fanbase is bizarre. Morrissey was staying in a hotel I was in back around 2000 and he’s weird and his followers try to mimic him.

Advertisement
That fanbase is bizarre. Morrissey was staying in a hotel I was in back around 2000 and he’s weird and his followers try to mimic him.

Eh, that happens with quite a few fanbases. Lots of people mimicked Robert Smith too.

The difference is, Robert Smith was (is) actually talented.

Advertisement
You have to be younger than me. I don’t care about Journey but that Escape Album - and Don’t Stop Believing was on that one - was pretty big and got a lot of radio play when it came out in 81. There were like 5 or 6 songs that got a good amount of radio play. Plus - that was like the 3rd concert I went to in 82 as a 10th grader and some hot ****** spandex chick took her top off in front of me - so there’s that too 💁🏻‍♂️

By a bit, yes. I was going to rapmetal concerts in high school. But I suuuuure do remember girls taking their tops off at those shows.

Some things never change.

And I know Don't Stop Believing was a hit early on. But it was largely forgotten. I had the really bad fortune of graduating from The U right after The Sopranos ended, then going to work in NYC and hearing that god awful f@#king song in every lame Midtown bar every time I went out. You couldn't walk down the block without hearing it.

Wrong.

Don't Stop Believing was a hugely popular song in the 1980s. The very fact that it was used on The Sopranos was BECAUSE it was popular (as opposed to, say, the use of "Thru and Thru" by The Rolling Stones on The Sopranos, which was NOT a big song for The Stones).

But, yes, the use of "Don't Stop Believing" certainly made the song popular FOR A NEW GENERATION, and the song will now always be linked to that scene (just as "Stuck in the Middle with You" is forever connected to Mr. Blonde's ear-cutting scene in Reservoir Dogs).

However, to say that Don't Stop Believing "wasn't even popular until The Sopranos..." is just an insane and false statement.

It was NOT AT ALL POPULAR when it aired on The Sopranos, unlike a very similar Living on a Prayer, which has always maintained play. The song was not remotely known by the pop market (my age group) at the time. Trying to say it was ONCE popular therefore it was STILL popular is absolutely moronic. Further, it peaked at #9 and spent a grand total of 16 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 -- not exactly hallmarks of massive success. Note the use of words like "revival" and "new life" below:

"When the screen cut abruptly to black and the strains of Journey’s Don’t Stop Believin’ went silent at the finale of iconic TV show The Sopranos in 2007, it might have symbolised the death of Tony Soprano, but it began a new life for Journey’s enduring classic.

The song’s revival provided an extraordinary new chapter in a fairytale story that began back in 1981 and continues to this day. After its Sopranos-assisted revival, the song became a belated UK Top 10 hit in 2009 (it limped to a paltry No.62 when it was originally released), been streamed almost half a billion times on Spotify and been covered by everyone from Steel Panther to erstwhile teenyboppers Hanson."

So, based on the above, it became MORE popular post-Sopranos than it even was initially (which, based on it's chart, completely proves my point and invalidates yours.

And then there's this from The Guardian: "Still, that isn't the whole story of the song's success. Don't Stop Believin' reentered the public consciousness in 2007, when it was used to soundtrack the final scene of the final episode of The Sopranos, a scene parodied over and over again on American TV and on the web. In 2008, it became the most downloaded 20th century track on the iTunes Music Store"

Weird how it could be "popular" and not even in the public consciousness.

I remember reading articles just like these written about how it was resurrected (BACK to being popular), just like Wayne's World did for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Are you actually gonna sit here and try to tell me that song was receiving widespread radio play between say 1982 and 2007? Oh, but what's a paltry 25 years of no one playing it? That's still popular, right?

Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Advertisement
It was NOT AT ALL POPULAR when it aired on The Sopranos, unlike a very similar Living on a Prayer, which has always maintained play. The song was not remotely known by the pop market (my age group) at the time. Trying to say it was ONCE popular therefore it was STILL popular is absolutely moronic. Further, it peaked at #9 and spent a grand total of 16 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 -- not exactly hallmarks of massive success. Note the use of words like "revival" and "new life" below:

"When the screen cut abruptly to black and the strains of Journey’s Don’t Stop Believin’ went silent at the finale of iconic TV show The Sopranos in 2007, it might have symbolised the death of Tony Soprano, but it began a new life for Journey’s enduring classic.

The song’s revival provided an extraordinary new chapter in a fairytale story that began back in 1981 and continues to this day. After its Sopranos-assisted revival, the song became a belated UK Top 10 hit in 2009 (it limped to a paltry No.62 when it was originally released), been streamed almost half a billion times on Spotify and been covered by everyone from Steel Panther to erstwhile teenyboppers Hanson."

So, based on the above, it became MORE popular post-Sopranos than it even was initially (which, based on it's chart, completely proves my point and invalidates yours.

And then there's this from The Guardian: "Still, that isn't the whole story of the song's success. Don't Stop Believin' reentered the public consciousness in 2007, when it was used to soundtrack the final scene of the final episode of The Sopranos, a scene parodied over and over again on American TV and on the web. In 2008, it became the most downloaded 20th century track on the iTunes Music Store"

I remember reading articles just like these written about how it was resurrected (BACK to being popular), just like Wayne's World did for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Are you actually gonna sit here and try to tell me that song was receiving widespread radio play between say 1982 and 2007? Oh, but what's a paltry 25 years of no one playing it? That's still popular, right?

You are an unbelievable dope.

First, you cite a wildly bizarre non-sequitur, that a song from 1981 "was NOT AT ALL POPULAR" in 2007. Hilarious.

Second, you are the one who claimed that the song "wasn't even popular", yet you acknowledge that it was a TOP TEN SONG on the pop charts when it was released (which is kinda-like the DEFINITION of a "popular song").

Third, you completely IGNORE what was happening with the "pop" charts in 1981, and the impact of "album rock" radio stations in the 1970s and 1980s. You only want to analyze the impact of the song AS A 45, and ONLY ON THE POP RADIO STATIONS. But here's the reality. The song IS NOT A POP SONG. Journey IS NOT A POP BAND. And the song was so good (and popular) in 1981 that it went to #9 AS A POP SONG and #8 AS A MAINSTREAM ALBUM ROCK SONG. Lots of pop songs never make the Mainstream Album Rock charts, and lots of Mainstream Album Rock songs never made the pop charts. The song was a crossover smash.

Fourth, you completely IGNORE the impact of the ALBUM. Escape sold TWELVE MILLION COPIES (officially) and probably sold more than that, since 1981 was still in the pre-Soundscan days when record companies could understate album sales by millions. ****, Escape probably sold an EXTRA 12 million copies in the Columbia and RCA Record Clubs.

The REASON that the song didn't hit #1 on the pop charts (which in 1981 were a combination of 45 sales and pop station "requests") was because MILLIONS of people already owned the song by virtue of buying the album. Why do you think millions of people bought Escape? To hear "Still They Ride"?

Finally, I'll just sum up all your citations from the BRITISH charts and the BRITISH publications as a load of worthless crap.

Am I going to tell you that "Don't Stop Believin'" was receiving significant radio play from 1982 to 2007? OF COURSE I AM, BECAUSE IT IS TRUE. Sure, you wouldn't hear the song on Y-100, but you would ALWAYS hear the song on album rock stations. That song is a motherfvckin' EVERGREEN, it has been played constantly and consistently since 1981 on stations that play album rock.

But, hey, nobody can tell you anything, right? You've got all your British Wikipedia cites, and you MUST be right, right?

Any moron who thinks that "Don't Stop Believin'", as you said, "WASN'T EVEN POPULAR UNTIL 2007" deserves every bit of mocking that anyone can muster. Your claims are brain-dead and false.

I don't know how else to say it. JOURNEY WASN'T A POP BAND, THEY WERE AN ALBUM/ARENA ROCK BAND. Before Escape, for their entire career, they had zero-point-zero Top 10 songs. Then, on Escape, they had 3 Top 10 songs back-to-back-to-back, because the songs were SO POPULAR across all demographics. After Escape, Journey only ever had 2 Top 10 songs FOR THE REST OF THEIR CAREER. Because, as stated earlier, JOURNEY WASN'T A POP BAND.

Just grow up and admit that you don't know crap about music (except for what you read on British Wikipedia).

Firstly no I’m not a psychotic bizarre fan of any singers, or groups. I have an appreciation for many genres of music, and yes The Smiths and Morrissey music is very whiny “and by DONT you just shoot yourself?” Music but in my opinion I still like their songs, just like I enjoy many other genres, my taste in music is all over the place, so don’t make assumptions.

As per your belief that Journey had a revival after The Sopranos, is a bit ludicrous. Journey, especially Don’t Stop Believing, has been a mainstay in stadiums, in bars, and privately people play it themselves. Radio play is a foolish standard of a songs popularity or staying power. Now the best example you want to use is Queen, a band that with the exception of one song , Another One Bites The Dust, never had a number 1 in the US, and whose music was followed more quietly here, I was one of those thanks to my uncle. Then comes Wayne’s World and the famous Bohemian Rhapsody scene and BOOM their popularity in the US blew up

@TheOriginalCane @RVACane your thoughts?

Firstly no I’m not a psychotic bizarre fan of any singers, or groups. I have an appreciation for many genres of music, and yes The Smiths and Morrissey music is very whiny “and by DONT you just shoot yourself?” Music but in my opinion I still like their songs, just like I enjoy many other genres, my taste in music is all over the place, so don’t make assumptions.

As per your belief that Journey had a revival after The Sopranos, is a bit ludicrous. Journey, especially Don’t Stop Believing, has been a mainstay in stadiums, in bars, and privately people play it themselves. Radio play is a foolish standard of a songs popularity or staying power. Now the best example you want to use is Queen, a band that with the exception of one song , Another One Bites The Dust, never had a number 1 in the US, and whose music was followed more quietly here, I was one of those thanks to my uncle. Then comes Wayne’s World and the famous Bohemian Rhapsody scene and BOOM their popularity in the US blew up

@TheOriginalCane @RVACane your thoughts?

Here's the thing, the concept of "popularity" is different if you think about it as "pop charts" versus how the song is played/heard across all channels.

Take, for example, your citing of the band Queen. Yes, from a "pop charts" standpoint, "Another One Bites the Dust" was the only #1 hit.

BUT THEN...

Do we ignore the MASSIVE stadium impact of songs like "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions"?

Do we ignore the MASSIVE use of "Under Pressure" as the hook in "Ice Ice Baby"?

Do we ignore how MASSIVE Queen was during Live Aid, at a time when none of their songs were on the pop charts?

While I completely agree that Wayne's World vaulted "Bohemian Rhapsody" back into everyone's consciousness (and did for that song what Reservoir Dogs did for "Stuck in the Middle with You"), I would also say that Queen has been popular ALL ALONG. Not "pop chart #1" popular, but a beloved group whose albums are owned by millions and played with regularity for the past 40 years (particularly as people have become less fearful of homosexual artists).

And if you want to take it a step farther...how long since THE BEATLES have had a #1 song? Yet they are still getting consistent airplay (not on pop stations) for going on 60 years now.

Many bands are fortunate enough to have "moments" where their music receives additional airplay long after the songs were first released. The Who has benefitted from "Tommy" being performed on stage. At one point, Microsoft used "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones for an ad campaign a decade or two after the song was "popular". ****, even a relatively obscure Bob Dylan song from NEW MORNING (of all albums) has gained a lot of new exposure between "The Big Lebowski" and the Rocket Mortgage ads.

"Popularity" comes and goes in waves. To go back to your "Queen" example, Queen was not some unknown band before Wayne's World. The were incredibly popular, but between a couple of band break-ups and Freddie Mercury's death, the band was not "as popular" or ubiquitous as they once were. "Bohemian Rhapsody" was used in Wayne's World BECAUSE it was so recognizable. Nobody had to say "what band is that, and what song is that?" But, yes, Wayne's World introduced Queen to a younger audience that had probably never purchased a Queen album before that. But there were still millions of us who owned Queen albums ALREADY.

Let's not forget, Queen's Greatest Hits has sold 25 MILLION COPIES. It came out in 1981. Wayne's World came out in 1992.

The Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden, and Phish must have really sucked because they hardly ever got radio play.

Advertisement
Here's the thing, the concept of "popularity" is different if you think about it as "pop charts" versus how the song is played/heard across all channels.

Take, for example, your citing of the band Queen. Yes, from a "pop charts" standpoint, "Another One Bites the Dust" was the only #1 hit.

BUT THEN...

Do we ignore the MASSIVE stadium impact of songs like "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions"?

Do we ignore the MASSIVE use of "Under Pressure" as the hook in "Ice Ice Baby"?

Do we ignore how MASSIVE Queen was during Live Aid, at a time when none of their songs were on the pop charts?

While I completely agree that Wayne's World vaulted "Bohemian Rhapsody" back into everyone's consciousness (and did for that song what Reservoir Dogs did for "Stuck in the Middle with You"), I would also say that Queen has been popular ALL ALONG. Not "pop chart #1" popular, but a beloved group whose albums are owned by millions and played with regularity for the past 40 years (particularly as people have become less fearful of homosexual artists).

And if you want to take it a step farther...how long since THE BEATLES have had a #1 song? Yet they are still getting consistent airplay (not on pop stations) for going on 60 years now.

Many bands are fortunate enough to have "moments" where their music receives additional airplay long after the songs were first released. The Who has benefitted from "Tommy" being performed on stage. At one point, Microsoft used "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones for an ad campaign a decade or two after the song was "popular". ****, even a relatively obscure Bob Dylan song from NEW MORNING (of all albums) has gained a lot of new exposure between "The Big Lebowski" and the Rocket Mortgage ads.

"Popularity" comes and goes in waves. To go back to your "Queen" example, Queen was not some unknown band before Wayne's World. The were incredibly popular, but between a couple of band break-ups and Freddie Mercury's death, the band was not "as popular" or ubiquitous as they once were. "Bohemian Rhapsody" was used in Wayne's World BECAUSE it was so recognizable. Nobody had to say "what band is that, and what song is that?" But, yes, Wayne's World introduced Queen to a younger audience that had probably never purchased a Queen album before that. But there were still millions of us who owned Queen albums ALREADY.

Let's not forget, Queen's Greatest Hits has sold 25 MILLION COPIES. It came out in 1981. Wayne's World came out in 1992.
CSI - The Who

Advertisement
I’m just gonna post this cause this song is dirty af and similar to how this beat was violated I want us to violate everyone on our schedule

Eat my shorts old heads lol

I’m too young to remember when “Don’t Stop Believing” was new but I can assure you that drunk white people were playing it on bar jukeboxes and signing it at karaoke way before the Sopranos final episode. It’s up there with “Sweet Caroline” and “Livin’ on a Prayer” for most popular drunk white guy song.

Advertisement
Back