what should we do on offense vs. clemson?

Advertisement
This is going to be very interesting what Mario and Gattis do.

I say Mario because it is his decision/sign-off on what the offense does.

Do they try to protect the limited passing experience of Jaccuri or do they just throw caution into the wind?

I think they will play with caution and try to run the ball even more than what we've seen which will produce the opposite result.

Clemson is going to stop the run with their front 4 and/or bring in both safties into the box and dare Jacurri to beat them against tight man coverage. You can bank on it (💰👉🏛). They've played this way every time we've played them when we had Rosier and King. They will **** sure do it against a freshman QB with 1 start under his belt.

Those quick bubble screens won't work on Clemson. You know they are already scheming to stop it.

What I would like to see is Gattis run the quick bubble a couple of times and then have 1 one of WRs fake like he blocking and run a GO route where he will be wide open with the safties rolled up.

We need to throw some fade and quick out routes.

Jaccuri won't be able to go to Young very often as Clemson's MO is to take away your best WR with double coverage.

The guys that need to have big games in the passing game are:

Rooster
Ladson
Smith
Restrepo
George

This is a game where you have let Jacurri throw it at least 30 times. You cannot hide him in the passing game.

Clemson forces your QB to beat them. He will have to do so under pressure from the defensive line and with tight coverage. Their coverage can go bust and give up some big plays. You have to be willing to attack them constantly. You can't let your foot off the gas and you can't have a conservative approach.

The irony is that playing aggressive against Clemson will produce a closer game than playing conservatively.

Yah, we might not turn the ball over playing conservative, but that will result in 3 and outs ALL day. I'd rather see 3 TDs and 2 INTs than 0 TDs and 0 INTs.

I'm not very optimistic about this game. I just firmly believe Mario and Gattis will be ultra conservative which will result in a blowout because we won't be able to move the ball.

I hope I'm wrong and they call an aggressive passing game, but I just don't see it.

Last edited:
This is going to be very interesting what Mario and Gattis do.

I say Mario because it is his decision/sign-off on what the offense does.

Do they try to protect the limited passing experience of Jaccuri or do they just throw caution into the wind?

I think they will play with caution and try to run the ball even more than what we've seen which will produce the opposite result.

Clemson is going to stop the run with their front 4 and/or bring in both safties into the box and dare Jacurri to beat them against tight man coverage. You can bank on it (💰👉🏛). They've played this way every time we've played them when we had Rosier and King. They will **** sure do it against a freshman QB with 1 start under his belt.

Those quick bubble screens won't work on Clemson. You know they are already scheming to stop it.

What I would like to see is Gattis run the quick bubble a couple of times and then have 1 one of WRs fake like he blocking and run a GO route where he will be wide open with the safties rolled up.

We need to throw some fade and quick out routes.

Jaccuri won't be able to go to Young very often as Clemson's MO is to take away your best WR with double coverage.

The guys that need to have big games in the passing game are:

Rooster
Ladson
Smith
Restrepo
George

This is a game where you have let Jacurri throw it at least 30 times. You cannot hide him in the passing game.

Clemson forces your QB to beat them. He will have to do so under pressure from the defensive line and with tight coverage. Their coverage can go bust and give up some big plays. You have to be willing to attack them constantly. You can't let your foot off the gas and you can't have a conservative approach.

The irony is that playing aggressive against Clemson will produce a closer game than playing conservatively.

Yah, we might not turn the ball over playing conservative, but that will result in 3 and outs ALL day. I'd rather see 3 TDs and 2 INTs than 0 TDs and 0 INTs.

I'm not very optimistic about this game. I just firmly believe Mario and Gattis will be ultra conservative which will result in a blowout because we won't be able to move the ball.

I hope I'm wrong and they call an aggressive passing game, but I just don't see it.

Totally agree on all of this. We've seen too often how Clemson plays when they don't respect our QB. First thing to get taken away is that bubble screen. They will get right up in the WR's face, they are not going to let a freshman QB dink and dunk them down the field. They will also commit to stopping the run. It doesn't leave much, other than that you have to be willing to attack them downfield in 1-on-1 coverage situations. It's the only way to try to stay in this game.

Advertisement
curious to learn what some more knowledgeable xs & os posters think we should do on offense vs. Clemson?

my assumptions r:
1. jacurri gonna start
2. Clemson gonna sell out to stop run

i'd like to see some slot fades with X and back shoulder throws to colby young. not sure if jacurri has touch enough yet on these throws but they low risk for turnover/high reward throws.

am guessing we didn't do many rpo slants against GA tech (and stuck with mostly lateral throws) cause coaches were worried about jacurris ability to read lineman dropping into coverage/robbers but am no xs and os expert.
I would have a 2 step approach to this question:

1) Ask Gattis what his plan is
2) Do the exact opposite

Advertisement
Back