What really happened with Golden to PSU

tomi

Freshman
Premium
I am fairly new to this website but last year when the news broke, espn and bleacher report claimed that Penn State had offered Golden the job but after thinking it over he decided to be loyal to the U. After he rebuffed them, they went after and got Franklin. But since I got on this site, I have noticed that people say that he tried to "sneak away." Can someone please set the record straight for me: Did Al try and get out of Miami and go up north or did he decide that he wanted to be loyal to the Canes?

This matter to me because the only respect I have for Golden is that I have been led to believe that he had a chance to go coach his Alma Mater. If this is false, then I really hate this guy with a passion.

Advertisement
I think it's pretty clear that his buyout is gigantic.....the idiots at UM were probably not willing to give in on it; and so a year later when the tables are turned, Golden is doing the same.

Worst admin/BOT/AD in FBS, by a MILE.

I remember that time well. Based on everything I read here from insiders and the like, there is doubt that Golden was even offered the PSU gig. I think PSU expressed interest and Al wanted to hear what they had to say but they never offered him.

I am fairly new to this website but last year when the news broke, espn and bleacher report claimed that Penn State had offered Golden the job but after thinking it over he decided to be loyal to the U. After he rebuffed them, they went after and got Franklin. But since I got on this site, I have noticed that people say that he tried to "sneak away." Can someone please set the record straight for me: Did Al try and get out of Miami and go up north or did he decide that he wanted to be loyal to the Canes? This matter to me because the only respect I have for Golden is that I have been led to believe that he had a chance to go coach his Alma Mater. If this is false, then I really hate this guy with a passion.
It's been stated by "people who knew" - whatever that's worth - that he actively tried hard to get that PSU job and PSU said no thank you. Which makes sense when you review the timeline of those events and how he was MIA. He also never answered the question, but rather would reflect it in his patented sleazy car salesman way and quickly hit you with a catch phrase.

Advertisement
I feel like PSU was interested in Golden, but Golden ONLY (not his staff), which we KNOW is/was a deal-breaker for Golden.

The buyout theory up there is also quite possible. I never thought of that particular scenario until I recently realized how incompetent UM is.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear that his buyout is gigantic.....the idiots at UM were probably not willing to give in on it; and so a year later when the tables are turned, Golden is doing the same. Worst admin/BOT/AD in FBS, by a MILE.
Good point on the buyout. So PSU would've had to pay UM the buyout?

Advertisement
Advertisement
How do we have this many retards in the fanbase?
Go easy on the OP. It's a valid topic to raise, especially for someone who may not spend 18 hours a day on these message boards. None of us know the full story so ultimately we're all just speculating. If the last few days have taught us anything it should be to not take every bit of "insider" information on a public message board as the Gospel. With that all said, yeah, I really, really doubt Golden turned PSU down. Most likely scenarios are 1) he was just PSU's backup plan if Franklin turned them down, 2) PSU offered but balked at the buyout, 3) PSU offered contingent upon not bringing D'Onofrio with him but he wouldn't budge so the deal fell apart.

I think it's pretty clear that his buyout is gigantic.....the idiots at UM were probably not willing to give in on it; and so a year later when the tables are turned, Golden is doing the same. Worst admin/BOT/AD in FBS, by a MILE.
Good point on the buyout. So PSU would've had to pay UM the buyout?

Correct. That's the purpose of the buyout; protects both sides. If we fire him, we owe Golden the buyout. If someone took him from us, they owe us the buyout.

Had PSU taken Golden last year we not only would have been rid of him, but would have been flush with cash to hire a legit HC.

Advertisement
How do we have this many retards in the fanbase?
Go easy on the OP. It's a valid topic to raise, especially for someone who may not spend 18 hours a day on these message boards. None of us know the full story so ultimately we're all just speculating. If the last few days have taught us anything it should be to not take every bit of "insider" information on a public message board as the Gospel. With that all said, yeah, I really, really doubt Golden turned PSU down. Most likely scenarios are 1) he was just PSU's backup plan if Franklin turned them down, 2) PSU offered but balked at the buyout, 3) PSU offered contingent upon not bringing D'Onofrio with him but he wouldn't budge so the deal fell apart.
Nothing to do with being on the board for 18 hours a day, as you astutely pointed out in the second part of your post. So I stick by my previous statement.

My understanding from a contact at PSU is that Golden was interviewed, and perhaps though he was getting the job, but he was never offered. Personal conjecture...PSU has so much money that a buyout is not an issue.

C'mon people, PSU showed initial interest, but then checked their internal records vis a vis Golden and Sandusky and knew what would happen if they hired Golden...the tidbits I have already presented on CIS concerning Golden and Sandusky would have been scrutinized by a press feeding frenzy:

2010 Keynote speaker at the Second Mile Celebrity Banquet:

http://articles.mcall.com/2010-04-27/sports/all-secmile.7254581apr27_1_mile-celebrity-banquet-football-coach-al-golden-jerry-sandusky

Presumptive DC for Sandusky at maryland and UVa:

http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-65911891/

Additionally, with such a feeding frenzy, the press moles at PSU would have fed more damaging info about Golden to their media contacts.

Trust me, does anything in Golden's demeanor make you think he would have been a stand-up guy and cared more about kids than his relationship with Pedo Jerry and enabler JoPa? Think about it.

Bottom Line: Pedo State knew Golden had strong ties to Sandusky and knew these would see the light of day if they hired him.

Miami is now stuck with this enabler, a scourge on the university a 100 times greater than Pell grants and Shapiro.

Advertisement
Back