What Kind of Season Must Coach D Have to Remain at UM?

CanesDominate

Freshman
With the stud defenders that we're bringing in and last year's pathetic defensive in the rear view, what kind of season would be acceptable in your eyes?

Advertisement
We need to bring that 30.5 ppg against down into the sub 25 range.

And that YPP down from 6.11 to somewhere in the low 5s.

Basically going from a bottom 5 cfb defense to an average cfb defense.

Year 3. There can be absolutely no excuses. None. Get it done or gtfo.

I didn't think his job was in any jeopardy

If personnel improves, the D will get better along with it. People act like the 85 Bears were out there last season

Advertisement
To me, it's all about YPP and 3rd down conversion.

We were 82nd in 3rd down conversion. There is no reason a team like Duke (76th) should be ahead of us.

2 Years ago he had the 17th ranked SCORING DEFENSE.

This year was bad (82/83 I think).

I would expect 30 at the very least and this should be done on the AGING and DEVELOPMENT of the players alone.

Last edited:
We only lose Brandon McGee on our starting defense. I think that bodes well for mental development and familiarity with the defensive scheme and also the youngers guys will physically develop between U-Tough and Summer workouts.

Sprinkle in the playmakers we are bringing in for situational type plays and we should see a huge improvement from the D.

Coach D ain't going no where unless he accepts a head coaching gig somewhere else. Al isn't ****-canning his guy.

Advertisement
If we get an average D, with our high powered offense I'll be happy, 2014 D should be elite

We're going to better because our DLinemen simply becoming older and stronger. Also, we'll have incoming kids who will force incumbents to either be better in coverage or sit on their ***. Finally, our Safeties will be the best duo we've had roaming the middle of the field in about 6 years. This is a defensive concept that falls apart pretty easily when there is a weak middle. We're getting stronger there. The results should improve pretty rapidly.

Just the extra year of experience should make it a better defense. Like Golden said, he knew what he had going in. He knew he was going to have to outscore people. He wasn't going to be able to depend on the defense to consistently stop them. They had to play too many kids for too long to have an effective defense. They weren't ready physically or mentally to be out there. You can protect one or two younger kids with upperclassmen around them, but with that many true freshmen playing, at least one of them was liable to miss an assignment on any given play. They had some improvement, then the injuries and suspension to Johnson hit.

I just want to see improvement. See things moving in the right direction in terms of how our defense is playing. We are still missing a few pieces to having a complete well rounded defense.

Advertisement
You can say this is year 3 for Coach D until you're blue in the face but this is really year 2. Coach D was handed an average defense with zero depth. He had to run out and get "The Plug" and a DB that couldn't even start at Wake Forest to even have a defense his first year. Then after that year he loses the best players from an average defense and start all over with newbies? The only bright spots returning for this past season were Ray Ray, Buchanon, and Porter and we all know how that turned out.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Coach D is the goods but he needs time to stock and develop the talent. I fully expect the defense to take a huge leap this next season but will be around 35-45 total defense. The defense the following season will be downright nasty. I remember Dan Morgan, Ed Reed and company looked like crap when they first stepped foot on campus too. Syracuse beat the living crap out of those guys.

Patience Canes fans. The future is very bright at Miami.

That 2014 defense is nasty. As I've written out before:

http://canesinsight.com/showthread....elves-Defense-2014&highlight=let's+look+ahead

If a few things fall in place, this is what we could look like in 2014:

#1 Priority

We're going to need 2 DTs to step up next to Pierre to make it happen. That's the bottom line. Go get one from JuCo next year if we can't get a recruit this year who'll be an impact player or develop one during the 2013 season.

I think this would be our best unit:

WLB Denzel Perryman (Senior)/Jermaine Grace (RS Frosh or Sophomore)
MLB Raphael Kirby (Junior)/Jawand Blue (RS Sophomore)
SSLB Matthew Thomas (Sophomore)/Eddie Johnson (RS Junior)

That's a disgusting two deep and it has all types of players: rush guys, coverage guys, thumpers, etc. We're assuming we get Matthew Thomas here. If he doesn't beat our Eddie Johnson, then Eddie really evolved as a player and something went wrong with Thomas. Or, it just means we moved to a legitimate hybrid system where they both play. Or, Eddie got moved to MLB. Or, Eddie got booted from school.

Behind those guys, is this unit:

CB Tracy Howard (Junior)/Antonio Crawford (Junior)
FS Deon Bush (Junior)/Burns (Sophomore - still think he plays corner, though)
SS Rayshawn Jenkins (Junior)/Jamal Carter (RS Freshman or Sophomore)
CB Ladarius Gunter (Senior)/Nate Dortch (RS Sophomore)

I'm not even really pushing anything unrealistic here. I actually think Burns is a potential superstar corner here that takes Gunter's spot, but this was more straightforward.

Finally, the most important factor:

DE Tyriq Mccord (Junior)/Bond (Sr.)or Gabe Terry (RS Sophomore - gets a redshirt next year)
DT Olsen Pierre (Senior)/Jelani Hamilton (Junior)
DT Keith Bryant (Sophomore)/Dequan Ivery (Junior)
DE Anthony Chickillo (Senior)/Alquadin Muhammad (Sophomore)

If AQM signs here, I think he could push someone either way. Even if we don't sign Williams, there are guys like Hoilett and Terry who could fill in a role behind Mccord. The key is obviously, once again, whether or not we find some legitimate plugs at DT. I've assumed Hamilton will slide inside, though many don't think he has the necessary frame for it. If he doesn't, we could actually have AQM behind Mccord and Hamilton as a stack end behind Chickillo.

In either case, the point is that we need to find 2-3 DTs to develop next to Pierre. And, we need to see Pierre take that next step. Personally, I've said he could be a 1st team All-ACC guy and, maybe, has an outside chance as an All-American as a senior. Am I reaching? I don't know. I think he's perfect for what Golden and D'onofrio want to do, regardless of how it looks in the statistical categories.

Here's what stands out:

As a group in 2014, that defense could have something like 150+ combined starts, 9 upperclassmen, and 4 All-American candidates.

Advertisement
even if our D is slightly better than last year,

if we win double digit games, I don't think he gets fired.

Advertisement
Back