What Kind of Season Must Coach D Have to Remain at UM?

The problem with this defense is there are two kinds of qb's who thrive against it.

1. QB's who can run
2. QB's who can pass

Advertisement
Considering our offense should be lights out, we should see very early on Spring even, how good they are...

again all the new guys we are getting will not get here until Aug..like Bush/Howard last year...22 practices later they were starting on the road on D-1....

I believe we will be better due to the experience the 22 underclassemen from a year ago got, playing a full-season and being Costal division champs has to give them some sort of confidence. I believe confidence and experience is what was needed with this group. Next year we should see improvement.

The problem with this defense is there are two kinds of qb's who thrive against it.

1. QB's who can run
2. QB's who can pass

LOL, I think most QB's got excited to play us last year. Here comes my career day...

Last edited:

1. QB's who can run
2. QB's who can pass

LOL, I think most QB got excited to play us last year. He comes my career day...

Gotta love the D'onfrio defense we make QB's like Chase Rettig, Michael Rocco, and Sean Renfree look like Tom Brady; yet at the same time can make Everett Golsen and Collin Klein look like Michael Vick.

Advertisement
Coach D inherited a massive crap sandwich from the Shancoke era. No DC with any long term vision could of implimented a solution to last years lack of depth and experienced personnel.

He will look like a genius every year we distance ourselves from the Shannon disaster.

1. QB's who can run
2. QB's who can pass

LOL, I think most QB got excited to play us last year. He comes my career day...

Gotta love the D'onfrio defense we make QB's like Chase Rettig, Michael Rocco, and Sean Renfree look like Tom Brady; yet at the same time can make Everett Golsen and Collin Klein look like Michael Vick.

I STILL shake my head at the UVA game. Dude could not stop for anything, his answer was to try to flood zones and have Curtis Porter play man on the RB out of the back field. Talk about just losing it. And Rocco STILL put the ball in the middle of the field for his TE, wow...

all goes back to the d line. Couldnt stop the run and if you have no pressure on the qb. Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Deon Sanders and champ bailey arent going to stop the passing game.

1. QB's who can run
2. QB's who can pass

I STILL shake my head at the UVA game. Dude could not stop for anything, his answer was to try to flood zones and have Curtis Porter play man on the RB out of the back field. Talk about just losing it. And Rocco STILL put the ball in the middle of the field for his TE, wow...

Pretty tough deal when all your best players are severely limited or out of the lineup. DP was still hobbled, EJ d1cked up and got suspended, and Bush was out. When you're already struggling with personnel, to suddenly be without your 3 best defenders is a death knell.

Advertisement
all goes back to the d line. Couldnt stop the run and if you have no pressure on the qb. Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Deon Sanders and champ bailey arent going to stop the passing game.

That's fair, but when you sit back and don't try anything, that is pretty pathetic.

I see it as being the same or worse. D'No schemes are horrible and he is not developing schemes to fit his personnel. This is what he ran at Temple and this is what he is doing at the U. Did the youth somehow forget how to play football? Can't blame it on the youth next year.

Two years ago he was responsible for a top 25 defense. This past year was rough, but it can be largely attributed to the number of underclassmen that we played, especially up front. We were basically replacing half of our defensive 2 deep. The majority of which were replaced by guys with little to no experience, many of which were undersized and shouldnt have been on the field yet. There arent many DTs that can come in as true freshmen or even sophomores and be expected to dominate inside, against an older and more experienced group. The reason is simple, strength, size and experience come with time. Last year Chick and Pierre were both about 15-20 pounds heavier, after being thrown into the fire as under sized freshmen who probably would have been better suited to red shirt, and this year was when they should been expected to begin to become contributors. We had kids like McCord who was about 235lbs, getting significant time up front. While great for their learning curve, undersized kids like that who arent physically ready to play arent gonna win too many battles up front. I expect this years defense to be improved, probably top 50. Its the 2014 defense when Chick and Perryman are 4 year starters and Bush and Howard have 3 years of experience, that defense I expect to be top 10. Also, I would say that even if we finished 100 again this year, there is a 100% chance that Mark gets fired.

If they can get pressure off the edge this defense should be pretty good. Everything else is in place.

Advertisement
I expect a middle of the pack next year, nothing more. I still don't think we have it up front yet. I hope to be surprised, but I think middle of the road might be enough anyway. We're not playing the worlds toughest schedule...

The only time I saw the defense look like it was in ANY kind of attack mode was the first half of the FSU game. I agree with Azure's post, but we have to start dialing up some something to keep these QB's rattled. The talent is there and developing. Foot and the gas.

Advertisement
What kind of season must coach D have to remain at UM?

I seem to remember hearing that Coach Golden promised each member of his staff that he would retain them for at least five years. Does anyone else recall that? If so, Coach D has at least three more years at UM if he wants them.

Last edited:
It all comes down to the DL. We need the guys who played to keep getting better and stronger. I felt like they did this over the course of the season and finished strong with Porter coming back. Then we have guys who redshirted like O'Donnell and Hoilett. Those guys need to contribute. And if we can get one or even two of the incoming freshman or JUCO guys to find a niche we will be Golden.

As long as they stay healthy, I expect the LB's and DB's to be excellent. Both units are somewhat dependant on the DL doing their job though.

Adding Matt Thomas to this LB corps should be retarded, in a good way. Hopefully, EJ gets his **** together enough to stay here but if he doesn't then I think a guy like Grace becomes even more important. People might be sleeping on Kirby too. I believe he might be the standout guy this upcoming season.

The DB situation pretty much couldn't be better. Unless Golden somehow pulls Rashard Robinson away from LSU. That would just be unfair.

I expect a pretty **** good defense this upcoming season.

Advertisement
Back