what is it with south florida kids? smh

valid

Band
Banned
I hate seeing s*** like this about our local talent:

"Ermon Lane came alive when the ball was thrown his way and was in a good position for him to make a play, but when it wasn't he seemed not to care. Coconut Creek (Fla.) Monarch defensive back Shawn Burgess-Becker became so frustrated after being beaten a few times on Saturday that he asked to move to offense."

"Homestead, Fla., wide receiver Ermon Lane looked disinterested on Saturday and wasn't fighting for the ball but showed off why he is ranked No. 2 at his position early on Sunday."

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1515129

Advertisement
That's with any kids that have that "Keyshawn Johnson"(Lane) mindset when their number is not called which a lot of kids do all over the country and those that need to work on their determination when facing adversity(Burgess-Becker). Could be Two ways to view Becker's situation though.

They are their own biggest fans. With social media, they get their heads blown up by a bunch of grown men with nothing better to do. Coley was the same way, and I'm glad to have him. I wish some of these kids were different but it be what it be.

Advertisement
[]_[]nique-31;1513201 said:
That's with any kids that have that "Keyshawn Johnson"(Lane) mindset when their number is not called which a lot of kids do all over the country and those that need to work on their determination when facing adversity(Burgess-Becker). Could be Two ways to view Becker's situation though.

Keyshawn may have talked about the **** ball a lot, but the dude blocked downfield.

/end Keyshawn defense

Just like Spurs coach Popovich said in an article this week

As you might have suspected, this is not a coincidence. In a brilliant and revealing ESPN The Magazine story by Seth Wickersham, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich says foreign players are "fundamentally harder working than most American kids."

This work ethic is a result of many factors, perhaps none more important than the development systems in foreign countries:

"...when Pop looks at American talent he sees many players who "have been coddled since eighth, ninth, 10th grade by various factions or groups of people. But the foreign kids don't live with that. So they don't feel entitled," he says, noting how many clubs work on fundamentals in two-a-day practices, each lasting up to three hours. "Now, you can't paint it with too wide of a brush, but in general, that's a fact."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dis...e-fundamentally-harder-working-most-americans

Advertisement
Too many nerds sucking their dycks on the internet. Too many scumbag toilet-biscuit-eating leeches trying to make money off them hanging around them. All that garbage leads to kids getting inflated egos and bloated senses of worth.

[]_[]nique-31;1513201 said:

Keyshawn may have talked about the **** ball a lot, but the dude blocked downfield.

/end Keyshawn defense

I agree. Key is a horrible comparison. Yeah, he always wanted the ball, but he ran every route, worked the middle, finished routes, and blocked. Randy Moss on the other hand......

Too many nerds sucking their dycks on the internet. Too many scumbag toilet-biscuit-eating leeches trying to make money off them hanging around them. All that garbage leads to kids getting inflated egos and bloated senses of worth.

Truth. That's why a kid like Duke is so refreshing. He knows he's one of the best but he doesn't act like it, he puts in the work and does anything the team asks of him. That is the type of guy you win championships with (maybe not as talented as Duke). Same with Chickillo, Perryman, Flowers, Feliciano. We have a ton of kids on the team like that. That is why I think 2013 is going to be a big year for the program.

It's the fault of the adults who surround these kids.

The parents that tell them they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The coaches who let them get away with anything they want because they're the star player.

The "recruiting gurus" who hang from the kid's ball sacks.

The couch potato nerds who follow recruiting like it's a religion.

Social media.

All these things are factors. And guess what, when a coach holds that kid accountable and demands more from him, he'll simply back his **** and go elsewhere instead of manning up. I've had a couple kids like that and it's exhausting dealing with them. You constantly have to knock them down, build them up, knock them down again, build them back up. It's never ending.

Advertisement

As you might have suspected, this is not a coincidence. In a brilliant and revealing ESPN The Magazine story by Seth Wickersham, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich says foreign players are "fundamentally harder working than most American kids."

This work ethic is a result of many factors, perhaps none more important than the development systems in foreign countries:

"...when Pop looks at American talent he sees many players who "have been coddled since eighth, ninth, 10th grade by various factions or groups of people. But the foreign kids don't live with that. So they don't feel entitled," he says, noting how many clubs work on fundamentals in two-a-day practices, each lasting up to three hours. "Now, you can't paint it with too wide of a brush, but in general, that's a fact."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dis...e-fundamentally-harder-working-most-americans

pop hates americans lol.

Have u seen their team....and their's a reason other than that. Pop could yell and curse and downgrade those guys wayyy more than he can with an american guy. Even when he brings in an american player it has to be from a small school, or a coming from the bottom type like Dajuan Blair, Danny Green guys who can thank Pop for their careers etc.

Whats funny though is....that i believe the most conditioned, or one of the most hardest working teams practice wise likely is the team Pops playing the "Hollywood" Miami Heat....littered with a good mix of all stars and guys whove been coddled since 8th, ninth grade.

Its up to the "coach" to change the mindset in my opinion...guys liek Pop i think can..though he chooses not too(he goes with foreigns) but then u have the alphas like Saban, Meyer, Patterson and a few other coaches that make do.
I'm taking the Ermon Lane's, Stacey Coley's every day of the week.

And i dont even think Lane has a bad attitude/rep in my opinion.

South Florida maybe worse simply because we start ALLOOTT earlier than most states and were SERIOUS at an earlier age....can u imagine guys really bragging about Pee Wee(6 and 7 yr olds) players like their Tom Brady and placing bets, hyping up these kids from that far back.

Realize for the out of state guys that dont know...names like Duke Johnson, Joe Yearby, Teddy Bridgewater have been talked about like we do on here...like 7-8 yrs ago when those kids were wetting the bed still. So when u see humble ones like Duke, Teddy B, Deon Bush, Jermaine Grace you better appreciate it...

Last edited:
It's the fault of the adults who surround these kids.

The parents that tell them they're the best thing since sliced bread.

The coaches who let them get away with anything they want because they're the star player.

The "recruiting gurus" who hang from the kid's ball sacks.

The couch potato nerds who follow recruiting like it's a religion.

Social media.

All these things are factors. And guess what, when a coach holds that kid accountable and demands more from him, he'll simply back his **** and go elsewhere instead of manning up. I've had a couple kids like that and it's exhausting dealing with them. You constantly have to knock them down, build them up, knock them down again, build them back up. It's never ending.

Exactly.

pop hates americans lol.

Have u seen their team....and their's a reason other than that. Pop could yell and curse and downgrade those guys wayyy more than he can with an american guy. Even when he brings in an american player it has to be from a small school, or a coming from the bottom type like Dajuan Blair, Danny Green guys who can thank Pop for their careers etc.

Whats funny though is....that i believe the most conditioned, or one of the most hardest working teams practice wise likely is the team Pops playing the "Hollywood" Miami Heat....littered with a good mix of all stars and guys whove been coddled since 8th, ninth grade.

Its up to the "coach" to change the mindset in my opinion...guys liek Pop i think can..though he chooses not too(he goes with foreigns) but then u have the alphas like Saban, Meyer, Patterson and a few other coaches that make do.

South Florida maybe worse simply because we start ALLOOTT earlier than most states and were SERIOUS at an earlier age....can u imagine guys really bragging about Pee Wee(6 and 7 yr olds) players like their Tom Brady and placing bets, hyping up these kids from that far back.

Realize for the out of state guys that dont know...names like Duke Johnson, Joe Yearby, Teddy Bridgewater have been talked about like we do on here...like 7-8 yrs ago when those kids were wetting the bed still. So when u see humble ones like Duke, Teddy B, Deon Bush, Jermaine Grace you better appreciate it...

What you say in red is one of the main reasons why South FLA kids act entitled. They've been treated like big shots since the beginning. And like I said in my previous post, it's the fault of the adults who surround these kids. In my opinion, even though he probably won't admit it, it's one of the main reasons that our head coach at WHS left last month and took a job as a position coach at Weber State University. He simply couldn't take the entitled attitude from South Florida kids/parents anymore. (dude is from Manatee County FLA) I don't blame him cause I'm 'bout fed up with it myself. And the worst part about it is...EVEN SOME OF THE KIDS WHO SUCK ACT ENTITLED.

Year by year, youth football is becoming a BUSINESS and people are forgetting what the game is truly supposed to be about. I come across way too many kids/parents who are more concerned about getting scholarship offers than they are about winning high school football games. The parents are the worst. All they wanna talk about is getting their kid a scholarship. It's like "***** your kid is 5'7" and runs a 5.2 forty. Get outta my face."

/rant

Advertisement

pop hates americans lol.

What you say in red is one of the main reasons why South FLA kids act entitled. They've been treated like big shots since the beginning. And like I said in my previous post, it's the fault of the adults who surround these kids. In my opinion, even though he probably won't admit it, it's one of the main reasons that our head coach at WHS left last month and took a job as a position coach at Weber State University. He simply couldn't take the entitled attitude from South Florida kids/parents anymore. (dude is from Manatee County FLA) I don't blame him cause I'm 'bout fed up with it myself. And the worst part about it is...EVEN SOME OF THE KIDS WHO SUCK ACT ENTITLED.

Year by year, youth football is becoming a BUSINESS and people are forgetting what the game is truly supposed to be about. I come across way too many kids/parents who are more concerned about getting scholarship offers than they are about winning high school football games. The parents are the worst. All they wanna talk about is getting their kid a scholarship. It's like "**** your kid is 5'7" and runs a 5.2 forty. Get outta my face."

/rant

know that....being that i coached optomist level....i got to see it firsthand. Theres kids that get paid to play at certain parks, then theirs the kid thats not good..misses practices and come game day their parents think they should be "STARTING"...and if u even tell em different they take their kid to another park.

But for the mot part like u said...alot of the time its the people around these kids that turn them entitled. You literally would have kids that would turn down div 2 offers from good schools...because they think their better than what they are...

like someone else says...i played the same tyime as aurean and knew him and most of the guys ont hat mnw team...Taurean Charles story is literally like every story of div 1 level prospects down here....

MY YOUNGER COUSIN PLAYED ON THE SAME TEAM WITH DUKE JOHNSON Miami Norland....was a div 1 to div 1 aa level athlete on the dl....and cuz came to my house like 3 weeks before signing day to sign up to take the sat test...

History has proven that once you get these South Florida kids on the field, they are better football players. Not just more talented, but tougher mentally and better competitors. That's why they contribute so early at the college level and the pros. IMO, that's a result of the intense pressure these kids are under from their families and the outside community beginning at the Optimist level.

Off the field is a whole different issue. But on the field, give me a South Florida kid over anything else.

History has proven that once you get these South Florida kids on the field, they are better football players. Not just more talented, but tougher mentally and better competitors. That's why they contribute so early at the college level and the pros. IMO, that's a result of the intense pressure these kids are under from their families and the outside community beginning at the Optimist level.

Off the field is a whole different issue. But on the field, give me a South Florida kid over anything else.

They start earlier so they are more physically developed than their peers, and that's why they contribute earlier. Though, I don't think they are tougher mentally or under more pressure to perform than players elsewhere. It's just like anything... fear motivates.

South Florida kids seem spoiled and they are literally bigger than their coach, the team, etc.... and so some won't play hard if it doesn't serve them well. That's what there are schools out there that get the most out o their players.... the kids fear the coaches. They won't play if they don't make their grades, attend offseason camps/workouts/weight room sessions, etc... When the coaches and parents instill fear in the kids and THEY are the boss, then the kids have to work their asses off to maintain their spots.

Those are the kids I want. The ones that are busting their *** and mentally focused in order to get better, study film, play with their hair on fire. Now, you combine a great athlete with the football instincts and work ethic of a guy like that... you have an ideal football player.

Advertisement
Back