What is going on?

I think we will go extremely hard after Texas Maalik Murphy in the off season. Manning is a shoe in 2024 and it has nothing to with merit .

The problem is there are going to be countless big money programs entering the inevitable bidding war for Murphy if he enters the portal. That's the part those who've just responded to our QB recruiting woes by saying "portal, portal, portal" have been completely ignoring.

If we keep getting stuffed in a locker for the DL at the very top of our board by the likes of OSU (Scott and likely Stewart), Oklahoma, and potentially UGA (Breland), then what would give anyone even the slightest bit of confidence that we could land a Murphy-caliber QB when elite recruits at the position have sub-zero interest in us despite our depth chart? Those battles will involve several elite programs who are willing to spend even more.

It's far more likely we'll settle for a lesser QB from the portal who some will try to sell as being better than they actually are.

Advertisement
Fly the Banner
Illustration Loop GIF by Promo Led Systems

This is the point in the coaching cycle where cognitive dissonance/meta gaslighting takes effect. Things are clearly not going well, but we can’t admit it because things are not going well and we don’t want to make things worse by admitting that things aren’t going well.

Some people will see through the gaslighting and see reality—those people we be labeled as part of the problem; those people will also be labeled as part of the solution.

Some people will gaslighted and not see reality—those people we be labeled as part of the problem; those people will also be labeled as part of the s

I stopped giving AF about this program after the FIU loss. The players, coaches and admin didn't care about it so why should I? This is just entertainment for me at this point, so I'm with you about enjoying life.

Advertisement
Winning matters but when you suck you must also pay the suck tax to get the best guys. Trademarked by @Da Jumbo Mutombo Inc
This is understandable. But why aren't we willing to pay the tax is the question? Are we broke ? Or are we simply preferring to allocate funds to the new mega facility or something else we may not even be aware of ?

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is understandable. But why aren't we willing to pay the tax is the question? Are we broke ? Or are we simply preferring to allocate funds to the new mega facility or something else we may not even be aware of ?
My theory is that it’s overall roster payment.

Let’s say you give Jackson $2M to sign. Then Leonard Taylor - who let’s say in this scenario is earning $750K - wants to be brought to that level. And so does every other existing D lineman whose a starter. And without it, they’re transferring at the first opportunity.

We might also be shifting to more of an FSU model where we will overspend in the future to get proven commodities on the portal versus unproven high school players.

Advertisement
The million dollar questions. Literally.

Guess we will find out

I don't think it's about overpaying because we are hearing NIL is on par with anyone. It feels like we are just being out recruited and for whatever reason these players don't want to come here
Prob comes down to winning.

Advertisement
Back