What If...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
On the other hand... What if players start to get too distracted with their businesses and side hustles that it starts affecting their games? If we thought players were sometimes distracted before, it's about to get ridiculous now that money and everything that money brings--women, attention, parties, temptation, etc.--are introduced to the mix. Going to be interested to see how things play out. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
There are roughly 6 million people between Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Ten percent of that is 600K people.

The population of Norman, OK is 122K. Tuscaloosa right at about 100K. Gainesville has 132K. One hundred percent of these populations is still significantly less than ten percent of South Florida.

For a guy with "stat" in his handle, you consistently don't seem to understand how numbers work. And if you think 90% of people in Miami don't care about the Miami Hurricanes, my impression is you've never lived in Miami.

There is a difference between "caring" and being invested enough to actually spend money. For all of those people who "care", they sure don't like going to football games.

We start winning and that will change very quickly. People knew who Ken Dorsey and Sean Taylor were and that was before social media. People knew who Michael Irvin was and he played during an era when the Dolphins were actually good.

Plus he's only been here a year, and it was during the pandemic when fans couldn't even attend games. Just win baby!
That's the thing....we've been trying to start winning again for 20 years. I, for one, don't have a whole lot of faith in our athletic administration to make that happen.

On the other hand... What if players start to get too distracted with their businesses and side hustles that it starts affecting their games? If we thought players were sometimes distracted before, it's about to get ridiculous now that money and everything that money brings--women, attention, parties, temptation, etc.--are introduced to the mix. Going to be interested to see how things play out. GO CANES!!!
I've wondered about this too. We seem to want to sell kids on endorsements and hoes and South Beach and piles of cash, but football has to play into this at some point.

There are roughly 6 million people between Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Ten percent of that is 600K people.

The population of Norman, OK is 122K. Tuscaloosa right at about 100K. Gainesville has 132K. One hundred percent of these populations is still significantly less than ten percent of South Florida.

For a guy with "stat" in his handle, you consistently don't seem to understand how numbers work. And if you think 90% of people in Miami don't care about the Miami Hurricanes, my impression is you've never lived in Miami.
4 million people in Alabama. About 3 million of them care much more about the football team than the 600k Canes fans in south Florida.

Advertisement
4 million people in Alabama. About 3 million of them care much more about the football team than the 600k Canes fans in south Florida.
Absolutely. For some reason, people are limiting it to the population of Tuscaloosa. Alabama fans cover that entire state. Once you get north of Palm Beach, there is no such thing as Hurricane territory.

Stat guy knows that Alabama fans don't only live in Tuscaloosa. A star Alabama football player can get endorsements from Mobile to Huntsville.

And how many of those 4 million are Auburn fans?

Meanwhile, South Florida has 10 million people.

It’s not close.

And how many of those 4 million are Auburn fans?

Meanwhile, South Florida has 10 million people.

It’s not close.
You're right that it's not close. The Alabama or Auburn fan bases - pick one - are larger and more passionate than anything we have.

Alabama raised $309 million for athletics alone in a year and a half. We couldn't afford to put a cover over our batting cages for 40 years.

We have decades worth of data showing that the 6 (not 10) million people in south Florida don't spend their money on college sports.

Advertisement
You're right that it's not close. The Alabama or Auburn fan bases - pick one - are larger and more passionate than anything we have.

Alabama raised $309 million for athletics alone in a year and a half. We couldn't afford to put a cover over our batting cages for 40 years.

We have decades worth of data showing that the 6 (not 10) million people in south Florida don't spend their money on college sports.

It’s 10 million.

And there’s a reason Miami has an NFL team, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, and probably a bunch of other pro teams I haven’t even heard of. It’s a MAJOR population center, a huge market, and has a ton of money.

Alabama is none of those things. Because it’s rural and broke.

It’s 10 million.

And there’s a reason Miami has an NFL team, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, and probably a bunch of other pro teams I haven’t even heard of. It’s a MAJOR population center, a huge market, and has a ton of money.

Alabama is none of those things. Because it’s rural and broke.
Sorry, but Sarasota and Avon Park aren't Miami Hurricane territory. When people talk about south Florida in this context, it is widely known that they are referring to Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. Not Hardee County.

You keep telling us that Miami has a ton of money and Alabama is a bunch of broke rednecks. We're trying make you understand that all of that Miami money doesn't get spent on college sports. In SEC country, however, those people plan vacations and weddings around college football games. They donate to the athletic programs. They travel. They wear team polos to work...every day.

If Miami has so much money and loves pouring into UM athletics, why is Alabama spending $3 million on softball upgrades while we (1) can't afford a softball team and (2) couldn't even put money into baseball until last year.

I think this will help us for sure but the big programs will benefit from this as well. Suckeye fans are all over the country as an example, as are SEC fans. Their alumni base is rabid about CFB and there is tons of them because of the enrollment numbers. We will have the big city and it will even it out for us, but when it comes to a UF, the fanbase goes way beyond that sh|ithole Gainesville.

Advertisement
Sorry, but Sarasota and Avon Park aren't Miami Hurricane territory. When people talk about south Florida in this context, it is widely known that they are referring to Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach. Not Hardee County.

You keep telling us that Miami has a ton of money and Alabama is a bunch of broke rednecks. We're trying make you understand that all of that Miami money doesn't get spent on college sports. In SEC country, however, those people plan vacations and weddings around college football games. They donate to the athletic programs. They travel. They wear team polos to work...every day.

If Miami has so much money and loves pouring into UM athletics, why is Alabama spending $3 million on softball upgrades while we (1) can't afford a softball team and (2) couldn't even put money into baseball until last year.

Because Miami is a small private school with a small alumni base, and we haven’t been permitted to tap in to the South Florida market until about a week ago. Nobody is going to donate money for a baseball field when they didn’t attend the school. **** people didn’t even want to fund Marlins stadium. But there’s a reason we have the Marlins and Alabama doesn’t.

But you knew all that. You’re an SEC fan, maybe Alabama, and you’re here trying to cape for your redneck school. Maybe the NIL has you shook. Don’t know, don’t care. It’s fine with me.

But trying to compare South Florida money and markets to Alabama’s is a losing battle for you. Even if you try some mental gymnastics…such as comparing the entire state of Alabama (ignoring the fact that Auburn even exists) with 3 cherrypicked counties in Florida.

This is a debate you can’t win

Because Miami is a small private school with a small alumni base, and we haven’t been permitted to tap in to the South Florida market until about a week ago. Nobody is going to donate money for a baseball field when they didn’t attend the school. **** people didn’t even want to fund Marlins stadium. But there’s a reason we have the Marlins and Alabama doesn’t.

But you knew all that. You’re an SEC fan, maybe Alabama, and you’re here trying to cape for your redneck school. Maybe the NIL has you shook. Don’t know, don’t care. It’s fine with me.

But trying to compare South Florida money and markets to Alabama’s is a losing battle for you. Even if you try some mental gymnastics…such as comparing the entire state of Alabama (ignoring the fact that Auburn even exists) with 3 cherrypicked counties in Florida.

This is a debate you can’t win
Well, that's my point. If people didn't spend money on Miami sports before, why would that change now? The family that couldn't care less about UM before isn't going to head to The Wharf when they see D'Eriq King is going to be there.

I'm a UM grad, 1994. Just because I'm honest doesn't make me a closet Alabama grad.

There isn't a debate to win. It's not debatable. The argument isn't "which area has more money". The irrefutable point is that there has always been money in south Florida and it was never interested in UM before, so why would it start now. Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ohio State players are about to clean up, despite having "no money" in their states.

Advertisement
Well, that's my point. If people didn't spend money on Miami sports before, why would that change now? The family that couldn't care less about UM before isn't going to head to The Wharf when they see D'Eriq King is going to be there.

I'm a UM grad, 1994. Just because I'm honest doesn't make me a closet Alabama grad.

There isn't a debate to win. It's not debatable. The argument isn't "which area has more money". The irrefutable point is that there has always been money in south Florida and it was never interested in UM before, so why would it start now. Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ohio State players are about to clean up, despite having "no money" in their states.

There’s a lot more money in South Florida now than there was in 1994. A lot more.

And you’re falsely equating donations to the university with fan interest, when you have no evidence or logical basis to support a link. There is no reason to think NIL revenues will correlate in any way with donations.

The fact you think there is shows you don’t understand South Florida. People aren’t “joiners.” They aren’t going to give free money to Blake James just because. But South Florida is crawling with UM fans. Anyone who has lived in South Florida for a while knows that

There’s a lot more money in South Florida now than there was in 1994. A lot more.

And you’re falsely equating donations to the university with fan interest, when you have no evidence or logical basis to support a link. There is no reason to think NIL revenues will correlate in any way with donations.

The fact you think there is shows you don’t understand South Florida. People aren’t “joiners.” They aren’t going to give free money to Blake James just because. But South Florida is crawling with UM fans. Anyone who has lived in South Florida for a while knows that

But if SEC and Oklahoma and Ohio State fans are already spending money like crazy on college football, then businesses will be crawling over themselves to get SEC, Oklahoma, and Ohio State players signed up. It is nothing more than a guess to say that money that wasn't spent on UM before is all of a sudden going to be pouring in. There is no evidence to support that.

Those UM fans all over south Florida don't spend money on UM-related stuff. Why would they start now?

You guys are kind of missing the point. NIL is not about people all of a sudden investing in the school. It's about monetary income going directly to players.

NIL is big for Miami because the city/metro area of Miami is Top 5 in the world for social media influencing and marketing. It's also becoming a major tech and crypto hub and outside of San Francisco it's a top location for entrepreneurs. This will all make us more competitive in the recruiting wars.

With that said, if we don't win it won't matter. If we start winning, however, the possibilities are limitless in this town, more than ever before.

…If Miami has so much money and loves pouring into UM athletics, why is Alabama spending $3 million on softball upgrades while we (1) can't afford a softball team and (2) couldn't even put money into baseball until last year.

Because of “fans” like you, that go around saying Miami is a cesspool.

Advertisement
Back