What If...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23667

What if NIL is the great equalizer between small private schools like us in major markets and those public schools with seemingly unlimited funds for their players? Think about it. Before, a school like Miami could only play with its own money, and it couldn't compete with the major recruiting budgets of the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world. But now its got its own money PLUS it can sell recruits on the tremendous prospects for side money and social media stardom that come simply from playing in the Magic City. And if we win, FUGHEDABOUDIT! GO CANES!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
What if NIL is the great equalizer between small private schools like us in major markets and those public schools with seemingly unlimited funds for their players? Think about it. Before, a school like Miami could only play with its own money, and it couldn't compete with the major recruiting budgets of the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world. But now its got its own money PLUS it can sell recruits on the tremendous prospects for side money and social media stardom that comes simply from playing in the Magic City. And if we win, FUGHEDABOUDIT! GO CANES!!!
That's what everyone wants to happen, but kids all over the country in cities big and small are cashing in. In the end, it will still come down to where they want to play football.

New money that doesn’t really care about recruiting will get slushed into these athletes….

bigger city schools will see the best us, USCw, and I think ND with that Chicago market will eat

IF the right entertainment and sports stars get behind it...

think of how it could transform the competitiveness of HBCUs...

Don't have to worry about a sponsorship from. Crazy Eddy Electronics when you get a deal with legitimate National/Internet-wide reach...

Roc-a-fella anyone?

Advertisement
I suspect it helps usc the most and should get usc back quickly.
I wouldn't go that far (i.e. the part about USC getting back quickly). But Miami as a city and metro area right now is on the upswing. There's been a massive influx of capital and tech talent from places like California and NYC. I think this + NIL puts our little school in a very unique place at the perfect time. We are on the cusp of the crypto and NFT revolution--both of which go hand in hand with NIL--and the Miami metro area is becoming a major player in this world.

Edit: we also have King, who is a pioneer in this area, and Manny, who has proven his skills in social media marketing.

That's what everyone wants to happen, but kids all over the country in cities big and small are cashing in. In the end, it will still come down to where they want to play football.

There's way more opportunity to cash in in a big city than a nothing town.

The money will certainly be a draw but the fame/publicity/market will be a whole new equalizer.

Especially in Miami.

You rather be da man in Miami or Auburn?

Miami or Baton Rouge?

Miami or Norman Oklahoma?

Ho Li Crap - when I think about the Playmaker - if he could have worked this NIL - . . . .

What if NIL is the great equalizer between small private schools like us in major markets and those public schools with seemingly unlimited funds for their players? Think about it. Before, a school like Miami could only play with its own money, and it couldn't compete with the major recruiting budgets of the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world. But now its got its own money PLUS it can sell recruits on the tremendous prospects for side money and social media stardom that come simply from playing in the Magic City. And if we win, FUGHEDABOUDIT! GO CANES!!!
Us and USC Trojans are very similar in regards to this. Both schools have been irrelevant for a while and both schools are private institutions in large cities (Miami is close enough to Coral Gables that) where there are big markets with lots of commerce to get quite a few players big time money. And both schools have been on top of the college football world in the glory days. Both schools also have great weather all year round and live In touristy areas. Interested to see if both schools can take advantage of this situation and thrive bringing both programs back to the top of college football.

Advertisement
The money will certainly be a draw but the fame/publicity/market will be a whole new equalizer.

Especially in Miami.

You rather be da man in Miami or Auburn?

Miami or Baton Rouge?

Miami or Norman Oklahoma?

Ho Li Crap - when I think about the Playmaker - if he could have worked this NIL - . . . .
You might be surprised at how many people choose all your latters vs the former...

its a touch more complicated I believe...

I wouldn't go that far (i.e. the part about USC getting back quickly). But Miami as a city and metro area right now is on the upswing. There's been a massive influx of capital and tech talent from places like California and NYC. I think this + NIL puts our little school in a very unique place at the perfect time. We are on the cusp of the crypto and NFT revolution--both of which go hand in hand with NIL--and the Miami metro area is becoming a major player in this world.

Edit: we also have King, who is a pioneer in this area, and Manny, who has proven his skills in social media marketing.
Legitimate question....does this also give a major boost to FIU and to some extent FAU?

Advertisement
A lot will depend on whether athletes can use the school name and logos in their promotions. Some states are passing laws prohibiting the use of school names and logos. I am not sure what the rule is in Florida. Such laws might not apply to private schools like UM. UM would be crazy to deny use of its name and logos to athletes when it could give the school an advantage over state schools affected by restrictive laws.

You might be surprised at how many people choose all your latters vs the former...

its a touch more complicated I believe...

Yeah - you're probably right.

There were actually real people who bought Yugo's, Ford Pintos, Chevettes. Especially Yugo's - when they couldn't sell them, and it became a buy one and get one for free sale.

If I was told I had to move to Auburn - Gainesville - Athens - Norman - Clemson - I'd rather be sentenced to serve as a hippo proctologist.

Advertisement
That's great if the big city cares about what it is you're selling. 9 out of 10 people on a Miami street don't know what a D'Eriq King is.

There are roughly 6 million people between Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Ten percent of that is 600K people.

The population of Norman, OK is 122K. Tuscaloosa right at about 100K. Gainesville has 132K. One hundred percent of these populations is still significantly less than ten percent of South Florida.

For a guy with "stat" in his handle, you consistently don't seem to understand how numbers work. And if you think 90% of people in Miami don't care about the Miami Hurricanes, my impression is you've never lived in Miami.

That's great if the big city cares about what it is you're selling. 9 out of 10 people on a Miami street don't know what a D'Eriq King is.
We start winning and that will change very quickly. People knew who Ken Dorsey and Sean Taylor were and that was before social media. People knew who Michael Irvin was and he played during an era when the Dolphins were actually good.

Plus he's only been here a year, and it was during the pandemic when fans couldn't even attend games. Just win baby!

There are roughly 6 million people between Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Ten percent of that is 600K people.

The population of Norman, OK is 122K. Tuscaloosa right at about 100K. Gainesville has 132K. One hundred percent of these populations is still significantly less than ten percent of South Florida.

For a guy with "stat" in his handle, you consistently don't seem to understand how numbers work. And if you think 90% of people in Miami don't care about the Miami Hurricanes, my impression is you've never lived in Miami.
Amen - but the clown thinks he has never been wrong! LMAO.

Advertisement
Back