What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

Advertisement
Peterson LOVED UM.....Coker screwed that up....too busy trying to get Kirby Freeman

I remember when Freeman committed and the other site had highlights of him and almost every play was basically a QB draw or a scramble - very few passes from the pocket. I was like,''oh, boy." And this offer was completely based on the Elite 11 camp(which for me has always made it suspect). Making this worse was that IIRC Chad Henne was begging to come to UM( and he fit our system and was a very good college QB at Michigan and played in the league) and was turned away basically by the staff

Pick your MIC back up, Butch wasn’t staying no matter what. The most he would have stayed is one more year. Anybody that thinks he would have stayed longer than that is delusional...
No need to pick it up bruh we are playing the what if scenario. I never said I thought Butch would have stayed that long. I was responding to someone’s post that suggested he would have.
*pulls another microphone out of pocket *
Second MIC drop....

I remember when Freeman committed and the other site had highlights of him and almost every play was basically a QB draw or a scramble - very few passes from the pocket. I was like,''oh, boy." And this offer was completely based on the Elite 11 camp(which for me has always made it suspect). Making this worse was that IIRC Chad Henne was begging to come to UM( and he fit our system and was a very good college QB at Michigan and played in the league) and was turned away basically by the staff
100% Correct

That question was answered with a plane banner. First 7 win season, fans would have been calling for Butch's head even after National Titles.
That was my point. With a NC record and a fan base that is seemingly in flux, it's banner flying time when we're not dominating the rankings. Most of us are patient, but we are spoiled too. Our love for the U is a constant, our love for coaches is conditional.

Advertisement
Peterson LOVED UM.....Coker screwed that up....too busy trying to get Kirby Freeman

I did not know that. I graduated HS in 1999 and honestly didn’t start following recruiting until about 2010. Been a die hard Cane since birth though as well as my whole family. Growing up in South Florida I don’t see how it’s even an option.

No need to pick it up bruh we are playing the what if scenario. I never said I thought Butch would have stayed that long. I was responding to someone’s post that suggested he would have.
*pulls another microphone out of pocket *
Second MIC drop....
Look...lets put this BS to rest once and for all....#1....Butch thought a deal was being finalized at the 11th hour.....a buyout was one of the problems....Butch NEVER saw eye to eye with Dee....Butch was close to Tad Foote...who was retiring in 01....Incoming Prez Shalala wanted Barry Alvarez...
Butch owes UM NOTHING....not a F-ing thing....

Could’ve, would’ve, should’ve been. Boy, us Cane fans just can’t accept reality of what is. We love to cry even when the going is good. All this name-calling and little girl emotions being displayed on this thread over spilt milk really shows how fragile and butt-hurt us cane fanes are over life. We are unable to accept prosperity at any cost. Can’t wait for the season to begin.

Look...lets put this BS to rest once and for all....#1....Butch thought a deal was being finalized at the 11th hour.....a buyout was one of the problems....Butch NEVER saw eye to eye with Dee....Butch was close to Tad Foote...who was retiring in 01....Incoming Prez Shalala wanted Barry Alvarez...

right. Donna the troll like a typical liberal shifted blame to butch. she was active in hirings even before she was officially here. she ALWAYS wanted alvarez.

Advertisement
right. Donna the troll like a typical liberal shifted blame to butch. she was active in hirings even before she was officially here. she ALWAYS wanted alvarez.
Yup.....Butch had some BOT backing....but some Held a Grudge...especially BOT Member Valerie Bass....she loathed Butch...

Question for those supporters of botch. After he was released by unc no legit football power hired him. If he was the great coach and recruiter, scores of colleges were seeking a new coach, he never was hired. Why? Botch is a gypsy. His dna is to never stay long at a job. His policy backfired and he became coach of one of the worse football programs in the country, fiu. Sad end of a career.

Butch got a contract settlement - with limitations on what he could do and couldn't do.

I'd imagine he was a bit ****ed at UNC - and wanted them to pay his full due.

He wasn't hired for years - as he didn't seek any head coaching jobs. He couldn't by the terms of the contract.

I hope the crowd gives Butch a standing O when he is announced. He did a lot for our program and I respect the **** out of him. Now, I hope we wax that ***, but I will always appreciate Butch. Just saying.....Any bad feeling towards Butch, why?

I sincerely appreciate all Butch did while here. No one can deny his efforts on our behalf

But since when do we announce an opposing coach and if we do I WILL NOT and hope others do NOT give him a standing ovation.

Since when do we cheer an opponent?.

He is an opponent now. He is trying his best to beat us. How can i cheer for that??

So that being said ...

I sincerely hope we put up 60+ to 0 in a merciless, take no prisoners, "Why me God?" style beatdown on his *** ......this time and every other time we play.

Last edited:

UM wanted all the buyout to come out of Butch's pile - and none out of UM's.

A simple problem, easily resolved - but UM thought if they held off just a bit longer - all other coaching offers would have expired, and they'd have him by the balls - by default.

Deadline came, Brown's money was offered, UM was being stupid - and Butch made the only decision available.

Advertisement
UM wanted all the buyout to come out of Butch's pile - and none out of UM's.

A simple problem, easily resolved - but UM thought if they held off just a bit longer - all other coaching offers would have expired, and they'd have him by the balls - by default.

Deadline came, Brown's money was offered, UM was being stupid - and Butch made the only decision available.
That is EXACTLY what happened.....Anyone who disputes this, is sadly mistaken....Keep believing Butch didn't want to stay....after what that Man accomplished while under those sanctions...he should've been given a Blank Chk...

Whatever happened ....Happened

NO ONE really knows how things would have turned out had he stayed. Everyone can imagine, and everyone's imagination is different ... but we'll never know

IMO he always had his eyes on going to the Pro's eventually. I'd really think less of him if he didn't.

Realize that Coaches come and go....no one stays forever. Their goals and ambitions are NOT always the same as yours

But just like any other event in your life that you wish turned out differently, its DONE, OVER and CAN'T BE CHANGED.

I'm long over his departure and have moved on. If some still want to cry over his departure that's their choice to make.

So to me bottom line is:
  • Butch left.
  • The Canes survived it and are still here.
  • He has NOTHING to do with our future.

I will always wish him well, except when he plays us

Last edited:
There’s a link in another thread to an article that actually details exactly the contract stipulations in dispute, for anyone interested in the actual truth

Advertisement
that 2000 teams coaching staff was a super star staff

I doubt we ever see another staff like that in college football history

Sports teams will hire rapists, murderers, and other scumbags without hesitation if the scumbags will make the team money. There are coaches who did far worse than Butch (in terms of involvement with cheating /moral turpitude) who easily landed other high profile gigs.

I have what I call my "restaurant rule" that keeps me from getting food poisoning. If it is dinner time and I don't see any customers inside a restaurant, I'm not going to eat there. Why? Because if the food was good there should be at least some demand (good restaurants tend to have a steady clientele).

After Butch was canned by UNC, NO ONE wanted a HC who not only had NFL experience but also built the best team in college football history. After all the time passed and he wanted to get back into coaching, his only coaching offer came from FIU. The big programs have unlimited resources to look into a coach's background, and the fact that he could only get one offer from a struggling non P5 program tells me that college ADs knew that something was rotten with Davis.

Advertisement
Back