What if at DC

Winston moss would be a great hire for DC too but I guess he's not qualified according to the self anointed message board head coaches because he hasn't been a defensive coordinator yet. Never mind his 17 years of experience coaching in the NFL LOL....
Yeah he would but how would he recruit because I wrestled between the two but Orgeron is bona ride recruiter so he won out in my book

Advertisement
Coordinator and Head Coaches require a certain skill sets. Ed O does not posses those skill sets. It's why he has failed as a HC and never been a DC. How hard is that to understand?

Coordinator and Head Coaches require a certain skill sets. Ed O does not posses those skill sets. It's why he has failed as a HC and never been a DC. How hard is that to understand?

Apparently very hard to comprehend.
Harder than quantum physics.

What are your thoughts on Winston moss?

Winston moss would be a great hire for DC too but I guess he's not qualified according to the self anointed message board head coaches because he hasn't been a defensive coordinator yet. Never mind his 17 years of experience coaching in the NFL LOL....

Al Groh, Dan Henning, Paul Hackett, Charlie Weiss, Chan Gailey, Dave Wannstedt, John Blake, Tom Holmoe, Karl Dorrell,
etc all logged several years in the NFL before embarking on college HC gigs.
And you know what, they failed?
Just belonging to an NFL staff does not guarantee successful in college, especially in the case of coaches like Moss who has
never coordinated anything, not even special teams.

Advertisement

What are your thoughts on Winston moss?

First question of interview "Winston, you've been an NFL coach for 17 years which is a long time. In your opinion why have you never been a defensive coordinator with all of that experience?"

You forgot Brian schottenhiemer who basically cost cmr his job in Georgia but I wanted opinions so please share

.. Your right he was just the head coach at ole miss for 4 years and a finalist for the use 2 years when he was interim

He was fired after 3 years at Ole Miss and threw a fit when he didn't get the full time job at USCw. There's a strong reason the man hasn't been a coordinator and was unsuccessful as a head coach. Not everyone is a #1 and in his case he isn't a #2 but a very very good #3 . He's good with his DL's and an ace recruiter. His value is there.
oh **** sorry about sounding rude bro I just read what I wrote but there has to be a reason he makes 650,000 a year as dl coach and he also has UM ties

Novel theory here, bro, but hear me out. I think the reason he's making a lot of money as a DL coach is because he's a very good and proven DL coach and recruiter, bro.

If he was qualified to be a head coach at Ole miss and interim head coach at USC and was successful at that particularly stint then I don't see why he couldn't be a defensive coordinator

Why would you want to hire a guy who's NEVER coordinated a defense when you don't have to?

Why not hire a good candidate who's actually done the job and done it well?

Orgeron isn't some up-and-comer. He's a career DL coach who got Peter Principle'd to HC. It would be like hiring Phil Fulmer to be OC because he was a successful HC.

Those are different jobs. Just because you're a good coordinator doesn't mean you're a good head coach, and vice-versa.

I don't think it's even close. Richt's an OC/HC. We're so much better off hiring an accomplished, proven DC like Ohio State did hiring Schiano and Bama did hiring Pruitt.

Advertisement
I don't think it's even close. Richt's an OC/HC. We're so much better off hiring an accomplished, proven DC like Ohio State did hiring Schiano and Bama did hiring Pruitt.

But there isn't any that haven't been fired that don't have better jobs. I don't think you guys are getting that

But there isn't any that haven't been fired that don't have better jobs. I don't think you guys are getting that

Right on, Mr. New Porster... I'm sure I'll get more if I just follow your lead. Franchise has been talking about Don Brown, Defensive Coordinator at Boston College, as a perfect example of someone who fits what we need.

oh **** sorry about sounding rude bro I just read what I wrote but there has to be a reason he makes 650,000 a year as dl coach and he also has UM ties

Novel theory here, bro, but hear me out. I think the reason he's making a lot of money as a DL coach is because he's a very good and proven DL coach and recruiter, bro.

If he was qualified to be a head coach at Ole miss and interim head coach at USC and was successful at that particularly stint then I don't see why he couldn't be a defensive coordinator

You're absolutely right. Being a failed HC and an interim HC qualifies him to be a DC. Makes perfect sense, broke. Are you and OP Siamese twins? Larry Scott would be a great OC because he's been interim HC here for several games.

Cmon man it's just an opinion, in that logic you would say a guy like Mike London would suck at being a defensive coordinator because he failed as head coach or let's use our own cane blood randy Shannon who was better than golden but still bad as a head coach, you can't use that as being the final barometer if they can be a defensive coordinator or not. Shannon has UF linebackers playing at an elite level and when he was a defensive coordinator here our defenses were great

And yet Maryland hired London as Associate Head Coach (title) and Defensive Line position coach.

Right on, Mr. New Porster... I'm sure I'll get more if I just follow your lead. Franchise has been talking about Don Brown, Defensive Coordinator at Boston College, as a perfect example of someone who fits what we need.

I'm with the OP on Don Brown.

"Better job" is completely subjective. I get that Miami is a better program than BC. But BC (or anywhere in the NE) might be the better place for Brown.

NOTHING in his coaching history suggests he is even remotely interested in moving to South Florida.

And I doubt he's "money motivated" enough to want to coach at a place he doesn't want to be.

Throw the farm at the guy to come still may not work. Texas just tried that with a guy who's already coaching in the state, and he still turned them down. At the level these guys are coaching, it's not ALWAYS just about throwing a few more dollars at the guy.

Advertisement
Thank you for someone actually throwing a name out there. Now I like coach brown but I'll doubt he'll be considered because he's only coached in the northeast and I think coach richt will be on the lookout for someone who has connections in the southeast. On the other hand he is a great coach my cousin played for him at UMASS

You're absolutely right. Being a failed HC and an interim HC qualifies him to be a DC. Makes perfect sense, broke. Are you and OP Siamese twins? Larry Scott would be a great OC because he's been interim HC here for several games.

Cmon man it's just an opinion, in that logic you would say a guy like Mike London would suck at being a defensive coordinator because he failed as head coach or let's use our own cane blood randy Shannon who was better than golden but still bad as a head coach, you can't use that as being the final barometer if they can be a defensive coordinator or not. Shannon has UF linebackers playing at an elite level and when he was a defensive coordinator here our defenses were great

And yet Maryland hired London as Associate Head Coach (title) and Defensive Line position coach.

Ruffin McNeil is also a position coach and AHC (title) for UVA's new staff.

"Better job" is completely subjective. I get that Miami is a better program than BC. But BC (or anywhere in the NE) might be the better place for Brown.

NOTHING in his coaching history suggests he is even remotely interested in moving to South Florida.

And I doubt he's "money motivated" enough to want to coach at a place he doesn't want to be.

Throw the farm at the guy to come still may not work. Texas just tried that with a guy who's already coaching in the state, and he still turned them down. At the level these guys are coaching, it's not ALWAYS just about throwing a few more dollars at the guy.
Yea exactly just because you throw a million at gene chizik doesn't mean he's coming

Advertisement

Ruffin McNeil is also a position coach and AHC (title) for UVA's new staff.
he's actually the guy I was hoping was the dc

Don't try to make coordinators into position coaches. Get someone that has done it before and done it right.

Wow.

Reading this thread reminds me of watching a bunch of special needs folk doing landscaping work in front of
my office.
As I sat there looking out my office window, I watched several of these youngsters attack each other with
rakes and shovels.
Needless to say, no grass was cut on that day.

The feeling I had that day is the same feeling I get reading some of the stuff on this board, especially
the OP and his respondents.

Lol...no ****.

I don't know that it's a money thing. I don't know what motivates Brown. He's had success at BC. Maybe he'd like to see what he could do with Miami-level talent in our recruiting base with Richt as HC???

Advertisement
Back