What I would like to see going forward this season

I expect Pitt to sell out a lot on defense like NC state did and that leaves a lot of single coverage that a guy like Rambo gobbles up. We talked all off season about negating the opponents' strategy of selling out to stop the run and leaving their corners on islands. To do that, they're going to have to continue what they did against State and that's throwing to set up the run game. The combination of an accurate deep ball from VanDyke and receivers who can actually beat press man coverage can totally open everything up. When it comes to punishing defenses for getting too greedy, this year's guys are having better success downfield.

I know the fumbled punt return was a really bad look for George but I really like what he had been doing up to that point. Honestly, he just needs to play it safe and call for the fair catch on some of those occasions but otherwise he was fielding the ball nicely and doing a good job of picking up positive yardage. After last year's joke of a punt return team, just fielding the ball cleanly is a step in the right direction.
If I was playing THIS Miami team there's absolutely no way I'd sell out to stop the run.

Advertisement
giphy.gif
That's probably after a twenty yard gain

He’s targeted Smith so much I’m almost suspicious. Don’t need him to spread it around any more to him. And restrepo is slow and struggles to separate. The windows are tighter with him. Brinson needs to be on the field much more.

According to Stevos breakdown Restrepo gets open a lot on shorter to intermediate type routes in the slot. He is not a burner but runs good routes and does get separation on those. He is just not being targeted enough.

Advertisement
I want to see JW0 and Taylor ball and show more promise. I haven't seen a player with pursuit like JW since the good ole days...super gifted. Keep recruiting dudes like that and u will be back in no time.
I agree 100%. I would love to see JW make some big plays like ints, FF, sacks, TFL but that will come. Right now there is a ton of pressure on the safeties with the CBs playing poorly and the DEs lack of edge pressure. At least we are playing the run much better.

I agree 100%. I would love to see JW make some big plays like ints, FF, sacks, TFL but that will come. Right now there is a ton of pressure on the safeties with the CBs playing poorly and the DEs lack of edge pressure. At least we are playing the run much better.
Knew we were screwed at DE for sure when Phillips left I questioned that all off season. Everyone was like we are ok lol I'm like ok I guess.

Advertisement
Well Likens was also a coach under Sonny Dykes at Cal, so even if Likens was puting his unput in it may have been Sonny Dykes stuff
Seems like we've been hearing Likens name mentioned a ton lately. Like I said before I really like the fact that he is becoming more involved in the game plans/play calling. It was obvious that Lashlee desperately needed help with the design of the offense as Lashlee's playbook was much too small and limiting. Seems that Likens has incorporated a much better and more diverse route tree or at least that's what it looks like. Any chance Hickson could be the run game coordinator? LOL

What I want for the rest of the year is macro.
* Remove the AD & HC as fast as possible.
* Find a way to retain the talented 2020 and 2021 class
* Convince the best upperclassmen to return (e.g., Stevenson, Nelson, Nesta)
* Bring in a big swinging dyck as our HC
* Keep TRob on staff so we can salvage the 2022 class and land a top 5 2023 class
💯
💯
💯
💯
💯

I didn't want Phillips to leave and knew that we wouldn't be as good but I had no idea that we would be this pedestrian and ineffective. It's insane.
The names we recruited and little film at the D1 level I saw I knew we were fuqed. Then we brought in a guy that didn't do a thing at Tennessee....but the coaches did that themselves. Manny and company were always going to fall apart cause the way they recruited....the defense was recruited worse and worse every cycle and it hurt more down the road.

In my opinion. The guys you listed above have no business leaving early. Stevenson maybe but he would really benefit from another year especially with a new and better staff . Again the other two have zero business going anywhere. Nesta needs more consistency and Nelson still has more to learn and develop. I never once bought any of that 1st round stuff for Nelson in the 2022 draft. He still has the potential but he needs to pay his dues and keep getting better. Maybe by the 2023 draft for Nelson but I could see 2024 as the year where he could be a 1st rounder.

Advertisement
The names we recruited and little film at the D1 level I saw I knew we were fuqed. Then we brought in a guy that didn't do a thing at Tennessee....but the coaches did that themselves. Manny and company were always going to fall apart cause the way they recruited....the defense was recruited worse and worse every cycle and it hurt more down the road.
I've got to give you credit. I thought that Harvey and C.Will would be much better than this. Also if we are honest, we lack high end talent all over the Defensive Line. Leonard Taylor is a man, JHH is good and Nesta is good but inconsistent. Also I expected JHH to take the next step but he doesn't seem like the same explosive player I saw last year. Weird. Still we need a major talent infusion on the DL, at LB and at CB and that is the truth.

Going to throw this out again: I’ve seen some talk on a few different podcasts that Likens could have been heavily involved in the play calls this week. He IS the passing game coordinator. How does anyone know if he collaborated with Lashlee or not? It certainly looked different on offense than it has in a long while

Post 179 and 312

I was saying precisely this as the game was going on at the discussion board.

The man is the passing game coordinator, and he finally got involved. That offense is by no means Lashlee's style of O.

I've heard people in podcasts saying the same thing, including the FLO show on youtube. I know a lot of people saw the same thing.

Post 179 and 312

I was saying precisely this as the game was going on at the discussion board.

The man is the passing game coordinator, and he finally got involved. That offense is by no means Lashlee's style of O.

I've heard people in podcasts saying the same thing, including the FLO show on youtube. I know a lot of people saw the same thing.
Excellent observation. I was thinking to myself where this stuff had been all year but Likens getting involved in the play calling makes total sense. This needs to continue and be expanded upon. It would be nice to see TVD throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs vs Pitt. I know that's highly unlikely but what I saw vs NC St is highly addictive and I desperately need another fix.

Advertisement
I would like to see more misdirection from our offense. Have rooster come across the QB from the slot. Fake the hand off, hand it off, use the TE as a fullback and run plays off it, do more slot screens, throw some shots down field with single safety,

The lack of motion is another element holding us back. We have added some and it has worked.

Lashlee should have done these changes in the offseason. If he bit some of the Briles play book, D’eriq would have been better and healthier. It would work for TVD and Garcia too. Creative runs, misdirection, motion exposing coverage. It’s all there and was what his hand picked quarterback became a star doing.

Instead we got rpo bubble screens (face palm).

I've got to give you credit. I thought that Harvey and C.Will would be much better than this. Also if we are honest, we lack high end talent all over the Defensive Line. Leonard Taylor is a man, JHH is good and Nesta is good but inconsistent. Also I expected JHH to take the next step but he doesn't seem like the same explosive player I saw last year. Weird. Still we need a major talent infusion on the DL, at LB and at CB and that is the truth.
JHH is a just a regular type recruit and was recruited as such. Some guys get those rankings cause scouts know they can fill out and never lose that explosion. Alot of other kids bodies will slow down or can't handle that extra weight,....(obviously there are other factors too). Gotta recruit next level types

The lack of motion is another element holding us back. We have added some and it has worked.

Lashlee should have done these changes in the offseason. If he bit some of the Briles play book, D’eriq would have been better and healthier. It would work for TVD and Garcia too. Creative runs, misdirection, motion exposing coverage. It’s all there and was what his hand picked quarterback became a star doing.

Instead we got rpo bubble screens (face palm).
The guy has been a huge disappointment. Absolutely huge.

I like this plan. According to the discussion we will be running 147 offensive plays a game getting all the guys touches.

That should lead to wins, or at the very least exciting games.

Advertisement
Back