What I would like to see going forward this season

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
Putting aside the talk of a coaching change for right now, there are a few things I would like to see if we are to make a run. Look, I'm no fan of Manny Diaz as our HC and that extends to much of the staff as well. I've made my thoughts on that quite clear so I'm not looking to rehash them in this thread. With as terrible as this season has been so far I think that we have collectively earned a brief respite from all the misery and BS.

We seem to have found ourselves a quarterback and that in itself seems like a minor miracle. We knew the two young QBs were talented but after King went down we didn't know what to expect. Tyler Van Dyke has shown himself to be a leader with great physical and mental toughness who is not only cool under pressure but seems to thrive in those types of situations. That and he can make all the throws. So now that we have seen what a Van Dyke led offense is capable of I would like to throw out a few things I would like to see going forward in terms of personel, style of play etc. . Please chime in with your ideas.

Based on the past few games and the season to this point I would think that Pitt will want to focus on taking away Charleston Rambo. It is clear that he has become TVDs favorite target.

I want to see TVD spread the ball around a bit more to guys like Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and the young kids especially Brashard Smith. Throw in Brinson and even a vet like Harley. The point is that we have weapons so let's do a better job distributing the ball amongst them as this will keep defenses guessing

We need to see much more of Elijah Arroyo. Kid is a stud and he is ready for an expanded role. That much is obvious. Arroyo is a matchup nightmare so use him!

I mentioned Brashard Smith above but it merits repetition. B.Smith is an explosive playmaker. He must be on the field as much as possible. Lashlee needs to do a much better job of getting the ball to explosive talents like Knighton and the 2 Smiths. Get it to these guys in space!!!!!!

We all know that Rooster is a budding superstar but we have two other RBs with excellent talent who are available. They can't contribute by sitting on the bench. Get Franklin and Brown some carries for crying out loud. They could be great compliments to Roosters style especially late in games

Someone tell Lashlee that it's not illegal to expand the running game. Look for better or different ways to exploit your playmakers talents. Put B.Smith and Rooster in the backfield together. Use different combinations in the running game. Use Mallory or Arroyo as Hbacks more often or explore the different ways they can exploit defenses.

Work the slot more often. Harley is a veteran and a natural in the slot. Take advantage. Restrepo is also a mismatch against many safeties and linebackers. Use them.

Use Knighton more in the passing game. Did I mention using B.Smith? Use Brashard as a utility guy and line him up all over the formation.

Use more pre snap motion.

Take the training wheels off of Van Dyke for crying out loud! He's earned that much. Don't be afraid to open it up and use the pass to set up the run

On Defense

Stop being cute and get back to basics.

Stop blitzing so much. It isn't working as it rarely gets home. I would bet that we are close to the very bottom in terms of percentage of blitzes that get home. I'll try to look that up.

Prioritize stopping the run like we did vs NC St.

On the DL Roberts, Taylor and C.Williams need more snaps.

Chase Smith needs to play

Someone needs to challenge Corey Flagg at Mike

Is Tirek Austin Cave hurt? Why no snaps?

Try Malik Curtis at PR.

Edit: I would really like to read everybody's thoughts and ideas. So let's hear them. @Rellyrell
@Liberty City El
and everyone else I can't seem to remember right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
giphy.gif

Another thing. Now that TVD has earned a little juice it would be great if he approached Lashlee and told him to knock it off with these bizarre wasted series where he decides to run 3 straight inside zone plays into an 8 man box.

Quit being so damned tentative and open this thing up! Have some fun for a change! Score some points! Score as many as you can. Give the offense a point total challenge each week. Let's start dropping 50 burgers on these teams!

Advertisement
As noticed here.

Lashlee is a very good air raid playcaller…and a very mediocre run game caller/ designer.

To this point he hasn’t shown much creatively and we’ve slowed down our pace considerably.

I’d like us at least when we cross the 50 to pick up our pace big time.

And as mentioned find ways to get the play makers the ball in space.

Now that DVD has proven he can stretch the field vertically and the Oline can give him time.

I expect more teams to play us honestly on 1st and and 2nd downs which should open the running game and shallow crosses if we want to use them.

defensively whatever they did last game in terms of run game discipline let’s stick with that.

Going to throw this out again: I’ve seen some talk on a few different podcasts that Likens could have been heavily involved in the play calls this week. He IS the passing game coordinator. How does anyone know if he collaborated with Lashlee or not? It certainly looked different on offense than it has in a long while

Putting aside the talk of a coaching change for right now, there are a few things I would like to see if we are to make a run. Look, I'm no fan of Manny Diaz as our HC and that extends to much of the staff as well. I've made my thoughts on that quite clear so I'm not looking to rehash them in this thread. With as terrible as this season has been so far I think that we have collectively earned a brief respite from all the misery and BS.

We seem to have found ourselves a quarterback and that in itself seems like a minor miracle. We knew the two young QBs were talented but after King went down we didn't know what to expect. Tyler Van Dyke has shown himself to be a leader with great physical and mental toughness who is not only cool under pressure but seems to thrive in those types of situations. That and he can make all the throws. So now that we have seen what a Van Dyke led offense is capable of I would like to throw out a few things I would like to see going forward in terms of personel, style of play etc. . Please chime in with your ideas.

Based on the past few games and the season to this point I would think that Pitt will want to focus on taking away Charleston Rambo. It is clear that he has become TVDs favorite target.

I want to see TVD spread the ball around a bit more to guys like Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and the young kids especially Brashard Smith. Throw in Brinson and even a vet like Harley. The point is that we have weapons so let's do a better job distributing the ball amongst them as this will keep defenses guessing

We need to see much more of Elijah Arroyo. Kid is a stud and he is ready for an expanded role. That much is obvious. Arroyo is a matchup nightmare so use him!

I mentioned Brashard Smith above but it merits repetition. B.Smith is an explosive playmaker. He must be on the field as much as possible. Lashlee needs to do a much better job of getting the ball to explosive talents like Knighton and the 2 Smiths. Get it to these guys in space!!!!!!

We all know that Rooster is a budding superstar but we have two other RBs with excellent talent who are available. They can't contribute by sitting on the bench. Get Franklin and Brown some carries for crying out loud. They could be great compliments to Roosters style especially late in games

Someone tell Lashlee that it's not illegal to expand the running game. Look for better or different ways to exploit your playmakers talents. Put B.Smith and Rooster in the backfield together. Use different combinations in the running game. Use Mallory or Arroyo as Hbacks more often or explore the different ways they can exploit defenses.

Work the slot more often. Harley is a veteran and a natural in the slot. Take advantage. Restrepo is also a mismatch against many safeties and linebackers. Use them.

Use Knighton more in the passing game. Did I mention using B.Smith? Use Brashard as a utility guy and line him up all over the formation.

Take the training wheels off of Van Dyke for crying out loud! He's earned that much. Don't be afraid to open it up and use the pass to set up the run

On Defense

Stop blitzing so much. It isn't working as it rarely gets home. I would bet that we are close to the very bottom in terms of percentage of blitzes that get home. I'll try to look that up.

Try Malik Curtis at PR.

Edit: I would really like to read everybody's thoughts and ideas. So let's hear them. @Rellyrell
@Liberty City El
I’ve been begging for Brashard Smith & Chase Smith for weeks!

On Offense, Brashard is a more dangerous weapon then say, X.

As good as X is, Brashard is another level athlete with his speed. He has good hands.

Chase should be in at Striker

As noticed here.

Lashlee is a very good air raid playcaller…and a very mediocre run game caller/ designer.

To this point he hasn’t shown much creatively and we’ve slowed down our pace considerably.

Now that DVD has proven he can stretch the field vertically and the Oline can give him time.

I expect more teams to play us honestly on 1st and and 2nd downs which should open the running game and shallow crosses if we want to use them.

defensively whatever they did last game in terms of run game discipline let’s stick with that.
the pace doesn't really matter when you call inside zone read 3x in a row

Advertisement
As noticed here.

I think the slower pace helps the OL identify assignments etc.

Going to throw this out again: I’ve seen some talk on a few different podcasts that Likens could have been heavily involved in the play calls this week. He IS the passing game coordinator. How does anyone know if he collaborated with Lashlee or not? It certainly looked different on offense than it has in a long while
Now that is very interesting. We need to go straight up air raid or whatever TVD is most comfortable and effective in. Open this thing up! We have the firepower. Get it on for crying out loud!

On Defense

Try Malik Curtis at PR.

@Liberty City El
Solid post. The more playmakers around TVD the better. When Arroyo got the ball last week big play. Would love to see the tight ends get at a minimum 10 catches a game. This will open up the middle. Would love to B.Smith get some runs and catches also at a minimum he should get at least 2-3 carries a game and a few passes in the flats. Give me more Franklin also. Would love to see him get some p.t with the 1st team

Advertisement
- Minimum 35 passing attempts a game
- More targets for Key Smith, Jacolby George, Romello Brinson, Brashard Smith & Michael Redding (if he’s healthy)
- Start Elijah Arroyo, I know he’s not going to start, but he needs waaaay more snaps & way more targets
- More carries for Thadd Franklin & Cody Brown
- Play TAC & Chase Smith at LB
- The top 4 CB’s should be Stevenson (if healthy), Couch, Clarke & Curtis

Obviously with Bolden being out we’ll now see JW & Kamren as the starting Safeties, which will be great to see going forward. Plus Tae Williams will get more acclimated into the 3rd Safety role as well.

As far as the DLine is concerned, just throw everybody out there & see who makes the most plays.

The mentality for the rest of season should be to just literally leave it all out on the field, we should play as if it’s the last game of the season for every game for the rest of the year.

We have nothing to lose, we should be playing like it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
good point. Forgot about his new title

Advertisement
Back