What I would like to see going forward this season

Advertisement
Putting aside the talk of a coaching change for right now, there are a few things I would like to see if we are to make a run. Look, I'm no fan of Manny Diaz as our HC and that extends to much of the staff as well. I've made my thoughts on that quite clear so I'm not looking to rehash them in this thread. With as terrible as this season has been so far I think that we have collectively earned a brief respite from all the misery and BS.

We seem to have found ourselves a quarterback and that in itself seems like a minor miracle. We knew the two young QBs were talented but after King went down we didn't know what to expect. Tyler Van Dyke has shown himself to be a leader with great physical and mental toughness who is not only cool under pressure but seems to thrive in those types of situations. That and he can make all the throws. So now that we have seen what a Van Dyke led offense is capable of I would like to throw out a few things I would like to see going forward in terms of personel, style of play etc. . Please chime in with your ideas.

Based on the past few games and the season to this point I would think that Pitt will want to focus on taking away Charleston Rambo. It is clear that he has become TVDs favorite target.

I want to see TVD spread the ball around a bit more to guys like Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and the young kids especially Brashard Smith. Throw in Brinson and even a vet like Harley. The point is that we have weapons so let's do a better job distributing the ball amongst them as this will keep defenses guessing

We need to see much more of Elijah Arroyo. Kid is a stud and he is ready for an expanded role. That much is obvious. Arroyo is a matchup nightmare so use him!

I mentioned Brashard Smith above but it merits repetition. B.Smith is an explosive playmaker. He must be on the field as much as possible. Lashlee needs to do a much better job of getting the ball to explosive talents like Knighton and the 2 Smiths. Get it to these guys in space!!!!!!

We all know that Rooster is a budding superstar but we have two other RBs with excellent talent who are available. They can't contribute by sitting on the bench. Get Franklin and Brown some carries for crying out loud. They could be great compliments to Roosters style especially late in games

Someone tell Lashlee that it's not illegal to expand the running game. Look for better or different ways to exploit your playmakers talents. Put B.Smith and Rooster in the backfield together. Use different combinations in the running game. Use Mallory or Arroyo as Hbacks more often or explore the different ways they can exploit defenses.

Work the slot more often. Harley is a veteran and a natural in the slot. Take advantage. Restrepo is also a mismatch against many safeties and linebackers. Use them.

Use Knighton more in the passing game. Did I mention using B.Smith? Use Brashard as a utility guy and line him up all over the formation.

Use more pre snap motion.

Take the training wheels off of Van Dyke for crying out loud! He's earned that much. Don't be afraid to open it up and use the pass to set up the run

On Defense

Stop being cute and get back to basics.

Stop blitzing so much. It isn't working as it rarely gets home. I would bet that we are close to the very bottom in terms of percentage of blitzes that get home. I'll try to look that up.

Prioritize stopping the run like we did vs NC St.

On the DL Roberts, Taylor and C.Williams need more snaps.

Chase Smith needs to play

Someone needs to challenge Corey Flagg at Mike

Is Tirek Austin Cave hurt? Why no snaps?

Try Malik Curtis at PR.

Edit: I would really like to read everybody's thoughts and ideas. So let's hear them. @Rellyrell
@Liberty City El
and everyone else I can't seem to remember right now.
Amen brotha!!!! We need more snaps from guys that can make plays on both sides of the ball. Can't understand why Austin-Cave isn't getting snaps at Mike especially on passing downs where Flagg is a liability. Flagg doesn't make enough plays per snap count if you pay attention. I would love for Austin-Cave to take over. He deserves a shot.

In my opinion. The guys you listed above have no business leaving early. Stevenson maybe but he would really benefit from another year especially with a new and better staff . Again the other two have zero business going anywhere. Nesta needs more consistency and Nelson still has more to learn and develop. I never once bought any of that 1st round stuff for Nelson in the 2022 draft. He still has the potential but he needs to pay his dues and keep getting better. Maybe by the 2023 draft for Nelson but I could see 2024 as the year where he could be a 1st rounder.
I agree that Stevenson should return, but everyone has this fantasy that a new staff is going to be better and instantly turn things around.

If there's a new staff, Stevenson probably leaves depending on who it would be.

I don't have a problem with the staff as a whole. The problem is the way Manny runs the program and practices. The indictment was when Stevenson was shocked at the Miami practices saying "this isn't how we did things at UGA."

The defense doesn't tackle because they don't practice live tackling. Schools like UGA and Bama go at it live and hard in practice. If guys get injured in practice, it's the next man up.

Diaz coaches soft trying to be the player's friend and that's hard for any staff member to overcome.

You have to coach hard. Lay down the law. That's when Greentree used to he the proving ground where practices were harder than the games.

I agree that Stevenson should return, but everyone has this fantasy that a new staff is going to be better and instantly turn things around.

If there's a new staff, Stevenson probably leaves depending on who it would be.

I don't have a problem with the staff as a whole. The problem is the way Manny runs the program and practices. The indictment was when Stevenson was shocked at the Miami practices saying "this isn't how we did things at UGA."

The defense doesn't tackle because they don't practice live tackling. Schools like UGA and Bama go at it live and hard in practice. If guys get injured in practice, it's the next man up.

Diaz coaches soft trying to be the player's friend and that's hard for any staff member to overcome.

You have to coach hard. Lay down the law. That's when Greentree used to he the proving ground where practices were harder than the games.
I certainly don't disagree. I don't really have a fantasy that it's all going to be lollipops and rainbows with a new staff considering our track record. That being said you are on point about practice and lack of hitting in addition to fundamentals, technique and accountability. I would think or at least hope a new coach/staff would be competent/aware enough to address these issues because I just don't see how it could get any worse.

I certainly don't disagree. I don't really have a fantasy that it's all going to be lollipops and rainbows with a new staff considering our track record. That being said you are on point about practice and lack of hitting in addition to fundamentals, technique and accountability. I would think or at least hope a new coach/staff would be competent/aware enough to address these issues because I just don't see how it could get any worse.
My concern is the learning curve of a new offense and defense plus losing players off the roster and recruits. Although, the recruiting class couldn't get much smaller.

I don't want a change in the staff unless they are clearly better and a proven track record. I think we have something going on offense and if Diaz would pull his head out of his *** and implement what successful programs are doing, he might save himself. Too late for the veterans since he's set the culture with them, but the young guys would accept changes and accountability. Diaz is doing some accountability by playing young players, but it’s way late in his tenure. Is he doing this just to save his job or is it now a part of the accountability process?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Manny knows he’s fired.

And playing like we have nothing to lose is actually what will lead to more wins...

Playing reserved & cautious is what will bring about losses.
I know there's like a 1.5% chance of it happening LCE...but work with ur brethren here...If CMD wins the ACC Championship, is he still let go at seasons end?

Brashard could not beat a UNC linebacker to the edge and we haven't seen him since. He's getting the Lingard treatment from fans since he scored on that long play against Central Connecticut, the same way Lingard became the next great RB when he raced 70 yards against Savannah State. I'm sure he'll be fine but if he was so explosive they be funelling him the ball every game.

Seems like we've been hearing Likens name mentioned a ton lately. Like I said before I really like the fact that he is becoming more involved in the game plans/play calling. It was obvious that Lashlee desperately needed help with the design of the offense as Lashlee's playbook was much too small and limiting. Seems that Likens has incorporated a much better and more diverse route tree or at least that's what it looks like. Any chance Hickson could be the run game coordinator? LOL
Urban Meyer did a pretty good job at the gator where he had 6 designed plays...KISS is the best principle as long as everyone learns those basics. Lombardi ran only a few plays but to perfection. It bothers me when a 5 star is benched because he hasn't learned the play book, Keep It Simple Stupid!

Urban Meyer did a pretty good job at the gator where he had 6 designed plays...KISS is the best principle as long as everyone learns those basics. Lombardi ran only a few plays but to perfection. It bothers me when a 5 star is benched because he hasn't learned the play book, Keep It Simple Stupid!
True to a point and I understand that you don't want something so complex that kids need a PHD just to learn it. The thing with Lashlee however is that his offense is so basic that it doesn't take a lot for a decent DC to shut it down. Yes you don't want to be too complex because you want kids to play not think too much but at the same time we don't want Techmo Bowl either

Advertisement
Brashard could not beat a UNC linebacker to the edge and we haven't seen him since. He's getting the Lingard treatment from fans since he scored on that long play against Central Connecticut, the same way Lingard became the next great RB when he raced 70 yards against Savannah State. I'm sure he'll be fine but if he was so explosive they be funelling him the ball every game.
I love the schtick @rok Actually this might be one of your better hot takes. Keep up the great work.

I like this plan. According to the discussion we will be running 147 offensive plays a game getting all the guys touches.

That should lead to wins, or at the very least exciting games.
147? I think that's a bit too much my friend. I was thinking that 100-110 should be the goal and that every skill player should have at least 5 touches a game. The best part is that I haven't even factored in tackle eligible plays

LOT OF Chase Smith and Arroyo... lot of these two.

The love affair with upperclassmen really hurt this team. Chase Smith is rotting on the bench while Amari Carter play 60% of the snaps and Gil the other 40%. Neither has been explosive or disruptive this year to deserve ALL the snaps at Striker.

And even in a game where Mallory has some great catches he still misses half his blocks. I’m glad the kid is playing better, he deserves his share of snaps. But Arrroyo is just as talented at his position as JW and LT are at theirs. It’s crazy he’s not splitting reps at this point.

LOT OF Chase Smith and Arroyo... lot of these two.

The love affair with upperclassmen really hurt this team. Chase Smith is rotting on the bench while Amari Carter plays 60% of the snaps and Gil the other 40%. Neither has been explosive or disruptive this year to deserve ALL the snaps at Striker.

And even in a game where Mallory has some great catches he still misses half his blocks. I’m glad the kid is playing better, he deserves his share of snaps. But Arrroyo is just as talented at his position as JW and LT are at theirs. It’s crazy he’s not splitting reps at this point

Advertisement
Good post, but TVD is being gifted the narrative (“we found our QB”) of being a proven commodity way too fast. He has had a bad game, a decent game, and a great game. I think we should reserve all the hype until we see consistent performances as the NCSt game. The same people who have seen enough and believe he is the one, were and would be calling for more time and patience in making a judgment on his abilities if he would’ve performed badly vs NCSt. So I’ll stick with that approach and give it more time, film and results before making that kind of determination. A rush to judgement is unfair either way.

Good news is that I didn’t see Chase Smith working with Coach Ish and the Strikers this week during Insidetheu practice coverage. Hopefully he has been moved to LB. For next season I’m beginning to want J Williams or Avantae at Striker. I honestly just want to see Kinchens, Avantae and J Williams on the field at the same time in anyway possible. Chase, Keontra Smith, and TAC at LB. Hopefully Sam Brooks stays.

Arroyo should start and be targeted often.

Knighton needs 20 rush attempts a game (0 of them zone read up the middle) and it’s a guaranteed 100+ yard performance. Thad and Corey Brown should get 4 quarter snaps to finish teams off and wear them out.

I think the slower pace helps the OL identify assignments etc.
Key , point here as the OL continues to get in-sync the extra time to adjust as the D is jumping around to confuse.
I agre let get back line up make reads then execute .

Very important post right here probably one of the most important changes we’ve made, get back to old school basic football 🙌🙌🙌.

Great post 👍

GOCANES

147? I think that's a bit too much my friend. I was thinking that 100-110 should be the goal and that every skill player should have at least 5 touches a game. The best part is that I haven't even factored in tackle eligible plays
Well we can’t open up the whole play book..

Advertisement
Key , point here as the OL continues to get in-sync the extra time to adjust as the D is jumping around to confuse.
I agre let get back line up make reads then execute .

Very important post right here probably one of the most important changes we’ve made, get back to old school basic football 🙌🙌🙌.

Great post 👍

GOCANES
Why TY, Go!

Also, have you noticed how Rooster takes the handoff and hits a hole? He lets the play develop for a beat or two before taking off… he walks to the mesh point, then casually watches the play develop before hitting the afterburners.

It looks like that delay is allowing him to choose his spots better, which also helps the OL. Between this and the slower pace, the offense might be closer to what we hoped.

Good post, but TVD is being gifted the narrative (“we found our QB”) of being a proven commodity way too fast. He has had a bad game, a decent game, and a great game. I think we should reserve all the hype until we see consistent performances as the NCSt game. The same people who have seen enough and believe he is the one, were and would be calling for more time and patience in making a judgment on his abilities if he would’ve performed badly vs NCSt. So I’ll stick with that approach and give it more time, film and results before making that kind of determination. A rush to judgement is unfair either way.

Good news is that I didn’t see Chase Smith working with Coach Ish and the Strikers this week during Insidetheu practice coverage. Hopefully he has been moved to LB. For next season I’m beginning to want J Williams or Avantae at Striker. I honestly just want to see Kinchens, Avantae and J Williams on the field at the same time in anyway possible. Chase, Keontra Smith, and TAC at LB. Hopefully Sam Brooks stays.

Arroyo should start and be targeted often.

Knighton needs 20 rush attempts a game (0 of them zone read up the middle) and it’s a guaranteed 100+ yard performance. Thad and Corey Brown should get 4 quarter snaps to finish teams off and wear them out.
I wish TVD had been utilized last year instead of wasting a year with King.

Putting aside the talk of a coaching change for right now, there are a few things I would like to see if we are to make a run. Look, I'm no fan of Manny Diaz as our HC and that extends to much of the staff as well. I've made my thoughts on that quite clear so I'm not looking to rehash them in this thread. With as terrible as this season has been so far I think that we have collectively earned a brief respite from all the misery and BS.

We seem to have found ourselves a quarterback and that in itself seems like a minor miracle. We knew the two young QBs were talented but after King went down we didn't know what to expect. Tyler Van Dyke has shown himself to be a leader with great physical and mental toughness who is not only cool under pressure but seems to thrive in those types of situations. That and he can make all the throws. So now that we have seen what a Van Dyke led offense is capable of I would like to throw out a few things I would like to see going forward in terms of personel, style of play etc. . Please chime in with your ideas.

Based on the past few games and the season to this point I would think that Pitt will want to focus on taking away Charleston Rambo. It is clear that he has become TVDs favorite target.

I want to see TVD spread the ball around a bit more to guys like Keyshawn Smith, Xavier Restrepo and the young kids especially Brashard Smith. Throw in Brinson and even a vet like Harley. The point is that we have weapons so let's do a better job distributing the ball amongst them as this will keep defenses guessing

We need to see much more of Elijah Arroyo. Kid is a stud and he is ready for an expanded role. That much is obvious. Arroyo is a matchup nightmare so use him!

I mentioned Brashard Smith above but it merits repetition. B.Smith is an explosive playmaker. He must be on the field as much as possible. Lashlee needs to do a much better job of getting the ball to explosive talents like Knighton and the 2 Smiths. Get it to these guys in space!!!!!!

We all know that Rooster is a budding superstar but we have two other RBs with excellent talent who are available. They can't contribute by sitting on the bench. Get Franklin and Brown some carries for crying out loud. They could be great compliments to Roosters style especially late in games

Someone tell Lashlee that it's not illegal to expand the running game. Look for better or different ways to exploit your playmakers talents. Put B.Smith and Rooster in the backfield together. Use different combinations in the running game. Use Mallory or Arroyo as Hbacks more often or explore the different ways they can exploit defenses.

Work the slot more often. Harley is a veteran and a natural in the slot. Take advantage. Restrepo is also a mismatch against many safeties and linebackers. Use them.

Use Knighton more in the passing game. Did I mention using B.Smith? Use Brashard as a utility guy and line him up all over the formation.

Use more pre snap motion.

Take the training wheels off of Van Dyke for crying out loud! He's earned that much. Don't be afraid to open it up and use the pass to set up the run

On Defense

Stop being cute and get back to basics.

Stop blitzing so much. It isn't working as it rarely gets home. I would bet that we are close to the very bottom in terms of percentage of blitzes that get home. I'll try to look that up.

Prioritize stopping the run like we did vs NC St.

On the DL Roberts, Taylor and C.Williams need more snaps.

Chase Smith needs to play

Someone needs to challenge Corey Flagg at Mike

Is Tirek Austin Cave hurt? Why no snaps?

Try Malik Curtis at PR.

Edit: I would really like to read everybody's thoughts and ideas. So let's hear them. @Rellyrell
@Liberty City El
and everyone else I can't seem to remember right now.
Tackle

I want to see these boys block out the noise and win out. Kill recruiting and start next year in the top 15.

Advertisement
Back