What I’m Hearing on Miami’s Head Coaching Search - Sunday PM

View as article
I can tell if they are talking about Diaz being HC they are just lazy and being cheap.. Please tell me when promoting a OC/DC of the HC that just got fired(retired) for a 7-6 team worked out?

Advertisement
Advertisement
He was fired from FIU mainly because AD Garcia, who he did not get along with, blew his load and thought he was he going to make a splash hire and replace him with Butch (Garcia and Butch go way back) After Butch figured out he couldn’t take the job because he would lose his buyout from UNC, he decided to work in TV and Garcia had to go find someone else. Not saying Mario is the guy but he wasn’t fired from FIU based solely on performance
Yet Butch just beat his recruiting classes and records (both highest in history) in only 2 years. Butch is the right choice

Absolutely wrong. That is the lazy sloppy conventional wisdom quick-fix route. Everyone wants to contend now. It's the reason we have so many of the dependably loudmouth posters calling for a spread offense. They envision nothing but prancing touchdowns, like South Florida high school games.

The two absolute priorities need to be an elite recruiter who prioritizes a big physical nasty team. Once you have those two aspects in place, then it's amazing how many 50/50 aspects fall your way. Those two aspects are what Nick Saban provides. He is running a more wide open offense now but that is hardly Alabama's essence. Once they lose Tua they can go back to winning the lower scoring championship games.

Miami has issues in recruiting. The lack of an on-campus stadium is more of a problem than virtually anyone is willing to concede. There is a reason we lead the nation every year in late decommits and it is not bags. It is the direct late comparison of one program to all other top programs, once visits are taken. Only a supreme recruiter is going to largely deflect that problem.

However, if he is not prioritizing a big ornery team then it won't mean much of anything. We might have a cute contending team once in a while with a cupcake offensive coach but it will be fragile and misleading like 2017. It has to be the type of team that can line up against the Alabama and Ohio State type programs and hold its own on the line of scrimmage. That is what Georgia has accomplished in short order. It is what Miami needs to emulate.

I'm not saying run nothing but I formation. Have all the modern wrinkles like spread and RPO etc. Unless it is a team whose linemen look like Alabama or Wisconsin, and whose linebackers don't get knocked backward on their *** like Quartermann late in the 4th quarter the other night, then all the prancing touchdowns won't mean a **** thing once the true blue blood programs show up on the schedule. Nick Saban saved college football from its worst instincts. If not for Saban then perhaps every top team would be a cupcake like Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, caring about 55-52 and nothing else. Fortunately that is not the case.

Very well stated

Honestly diaz stats are inflated by a weak non conference schedule and weak coastal.

If he was any good he would have to settle for Temple.

Real Talk!
That's not real talk.

He's impressed (to a degree) as a DC. Now he's off to a smaller programme to prove himself as a HC.

That's how it works.

Advertisement
I like Diaz but he is far from without any faults. Again I ask You why did our defense come up with terrible performances with everything to play for in most big games? That hasn’t escaped me At all and as I’ve said in the past Diaz is not a great recruiter.

If it’s Diaz, that would be the final nail in the coffin for the program. We desperately need a good hire. This job should be attractive to coaches out there. Miami is in a way way way better spot than the other times there was a vacancy. The 17 and 18 classes are gonna be Juniors and Sophmores, and the 18 class is the real gem here.

Can anyone tell me why Cristobal is such a prize choice??? He has a terrible record and hasn’t done anything of significant!!! Cristobal is equivalent to WILLIE TAGGERT. I would rather much have Manny Diaz than Cristobal.
- No Kingsbury
- No Kiffen
- No Cristobal

Everyone else... let’s roll.

Advertisement
Only makes sense to hire an African-American Head Coach. Best one out there who is offensive-minded is Babers.
What? That worked out well with Shannon, Clark and Haith. Who gives a sh*t what color the guy is, if he's Purple and can take the Program to promised land then sign me up :)

I like Diaz but he is far from without any faults. Again I ask You why did our defense come up with terrible performances with everything to play for in most big games?
Wouldn't we also have to pay a buyout to erm.... hire our DC?

Advertisement
I’d prefer Mario over Manny but neither are top 3 for me.

Babers, Campbell, Brown all need to be contacted and interviewed. Just going with Mario or Manny because they have ties to the program is lazy and shortsighted.

Agree that if it HAS to be one of those two....give me Mario who at least has some HC experience. Neither are in my top 15 to be honest.

I love Babers and Brown.....but Campbell scares me. CEO types from smaller programs.....just not a risk I'd be willing to take given our consecutive failures. Give me a guy who is innovative and a savant on one side of the ball.

I’d prefer Mario over Manny but neither are top 3 for me.

Babers, Campbell, Brown all need to be contacted and interviewed. Just going with Mario or Manny because they have ties to the program is lazy and shortsighted.
Exactly. If it boils down to one of those three, fine. But I’d like to see more cooler heads and nerves of steel prevail.

Advertisement
Back