What I’m Hearing on Miami’s Head Coaching Search - Sunday PM

View as article
First of all, to all you idiots calling for Rex Ryan, kys.
He’s the most hot headed dkhole in coaching. He’d burn the entire program down just to spite the fan base if we got mad at him. No thanks.

Secondly, it would be HARD to lure Wario away from Orgy. I hope we can. He’s the man for the job, for sure. He’s the homerun, if we can afford it.

Thirdly, idk why you guys are ****ting on the Diaz idea. He’s got fire and intensity. Loves this program and city. Can recruit. Can obviously coach. Trial by fire for him, sure. But some of the best learned that way. I’m thinking like a Dabo situation. Young, exciting, motivating. I can see it the most out of any of the options so far.

And Jesus Christ is CMR a good dude. I hope he stays around the program just to put a smile on peoples faces. It’s rare you find someone as kind as this dude. I just hope he’s sincerely retiring. I don’t want to see him resurface at an FAU, or GSouthern.

I see a lot of you guys have bad feelings about this, but I’m feeling cautiously optimistic. Kinda good about it. I guess it’s just a hunch.

Advertisement
Vilma,Kosar. If you guys are reading this board then please do not endorse Diaz. Naturally, the players are going to push for it but this would be a mistake.

Advertisement
Can they schedule a home and home like Florida did with they old wack a$$ coach with Colorado to help cover the buyout

Your are slow. Schnelly has one of the best pedigrees around. He leaned under GOATS.

Just bc Lane acts like a complete shmuch doesn’t mean he can coach or run a big time program.

If it wasn’t for his daddy’s last name he would be a nobody. Just like nobody would know who Mario is if was never a CANE!

Neal ****** brown

Schnellenberger played for Bear Bryant at Kentucky and was his OC at Bama. He went to the Rams when they were really good in the late 60s then was the OC for the 72 Dolphins. Then back to the Dolphins after the Colts job.

JJ was captain of the 1964 national championship Razorbacks. Coached with Chuck Fairbanks (finished #2 twice in three years, Frank Broyles (won the Southwest Conference as the DC) and Johnny Majors (won national title as DC in 1977).

And to think, I actually thought that we would go with an offensive coach who would bring an innovative/explosive offense to Miami. The fact that all of the candidates that were mentioned in the OP, are nothing of the sort, makes me f'ucking infuriated.

Diaz? For real? Mario? WTF?

No way in ****, these are the top two options. Blake can't be this **** stupid.

Have you not watched this movie enough friend? I’ve seen this movie more than the departed and training day combined.

Advertisement
No. This would take it up 100 levels.

Imagine paying $10M to buy out a coach, then giving him $4-5M a year on top of that just to win 8, maybe 9 games max a season.

It fits with our history. Make an atrocious move and then *** yourself harder. At UM we love apathy and self-inflicted cancer. Why do you think Blake is the AD?

I'm just so happy Richt did the right thing, we still have time to get a few players back in this class if we get a great hire quickly.
Know what you mean, but I disagree to have a hire “Quickly” just to save the recruiting class. Think marathon, not a 100 yard dash. If we get the right hire, recruiting will take care of itself. If get the right hire, winning will be possible even with a bit less talent - think of who we lost to this season.

Advertisement
That’s a good take but I’d want to know why he was fired from FIU and I just don’t know about the guy. If he weren’t a former Cane I don’t think we’d be paying as much attention to him.

He was fired from FIU mainly because AD Garcia, who he did not get along with, blew his load and thought he was he going to make a splash hire and replace him with Butch (Garcia and Butch go way back) After Butch figured out he couldn’t take the job because he would lose his buyout from UNC, he decided to work in TV and Garcia had to go find someone else. Not saying Mario is the guy but he wasn’t fired from FIU based solely on performance

Mario is ready and a proven recruiter. Manny screwed the pooch by leaving for Temple; if he was still DC he'd have the inside track to be HC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Diaz because his Unit was actually good but theres no way you can give him the job. The last thing we need is for us to pretty much keep the same staff. Also Blake needs to understand he'd be hiring a coach from a 7-6 team.

Let him go to Temple if he's good maybe he'll be an option sometime down the line but right now we need a program builder Diaz aint that.

Absolutely wrong. That is the lazy sloppy conventional wisdom quick-fix route. Everyone wants to contend now. It's the reason we have so many of the dependably loudmouth posters calling for a spread offense. They envision nothing but prancing touchdowns, like South Florida high school games.

The two absolute priorities need to be an elite recruiter who prioritizes a big physical nasty team. Once you have those two aspects in place, then it's amazing how many 50/50 aspects fall your way. Those two aspects are what Nick Saban provides. He is running a more wide open offense now but that is hardly Alabama's essence. Once they lose Tua they can go back to winning the lower scoring championship games.

Miami has issues in recruiting. The lack of an on-campus stadium is more of a problem than virtually anyone is willing to concede. There is a reason we lead the nation every year in late decommits and it is not bags. It is the direct late comparison of one program to all other top programs, once visits are taken. Only a supreme recruiter is going to largely deflect that problem.

However, if he is not prioritizing a big ornery team then it won't mean much of anything. We might have a cute contending team once in a while with a cupcake offensive coach but it will be fragile and misleading like 2017. It has to be the type of team that can line up against the Alabama and Ohio State type programs and hold its own on the line of scrimmage. That is what Georgia has accomplished in short order. It is what Miami needs to emulate.

I'm not saying run nothing but I formation. Have all the modern wrinkles like spread and RPO etc. Unless it is a team whose linemen look like Alabama or Wisconsin, and whose linebackers don't get knocked backward on their *** like Quartermann late in the 4th quarter the other night, then all the prancing touchdowns won't mean a **** thing once the true blue blood programs show up on the schedule. Nick Saban saved college football from its worst instincts. If not for Saban then perhaps every top team would be a cupcake like Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, caring about 55-52 and nothing else. Fortunately that is not the case.
I know you're a big stats guy.

Which HC do you recommend based on the above?

Advertisement
Back