What happened with Garvin last year?

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
A post in another thread got me thinking regarding Garvin's production in 2019. There were multiple games last year where I caught myself saying "Where the **** is Garvin?". Most of us thought he was destined to be a higher round draft pick after an impressive sophomore campaign and displaying the disruption ability NFL teams covet. However, production fell off, he declared early, and ended up a 7th rounder.

While stats don't always tell the whole story, these are pretty telling (2018 had 1 extra game):

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

The significant drop off in tackles and TFLs show a less impactful player throughout the course of a season.

Was the emergence of Rousseau the biggest factor? Did defenses figure him out? Was Baker not utilizing him correctly? Did his motor stop running as hard? Combination of all that?

I'm curious on your thoughts.

Advertisement
A post in another thread got me thinking regarding Garvin's production in 2019. There were multiple games last year where I caught myself saying "Where the **** is Garvin?". Most of us thought he was destined to be a higher round draft pick after an impressive sophomore campaign and displaying the disruption ability NFL teams covet. However, production fell off, he declared early, and ended up a 7th rounder.

While stats don't always tell the whole story, these are pretty telling (2018 had 1 extra game):

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

The significant drop off in tackles and TFLs show a less impactful player throughout the course of a season.

Was the emergence of Rousseau the biggest factor? Did defenses figure him out? Was Baker not utilizing him correctly? Did his motor stop running as hard? Combination of all that?

Three words.....Lazy As ****

I think he probably wasn’t happy with some of the schematic changes early. Spent the entire Florida game shadowing Franks beautifully, but I wonder if that upset him because he wasn’t putting up numbers.

After that his energy level seemed to go downhill.

I think he probably wasn’t happy with some of the schematic changes early. Spent the entire Florida game shadowing Franks beautifully, but I wonder if that upset him because he wasn’t putting up numbers.

After that his energy level seemed to go downhill.
Didn't some NFL scout say he was uncoachable, immature, and when things didn't go his way he would pout? So kind of like JT4. You think Rousseau was happy dropping back in coverage last year? Probably not but I'm sure he didn't ***** about it.

Advertisement
Didn't some NFL scout say he was uncoachable, immature, and when things didn't go his way he would pout? So kind of like JT4. You think Rousseau was happy dropping back in coverage last year? Probably not but I'm sure he didn't ***** about it.

I agree totally. He had early success and maybe thought it was going to come easy after that. He seemed like he was pouting big-time at the end.

I agree totally. He had early success and maybe thought it was going to come easy after that. He seemed like he was pouting big-time at the end.
**** I could see why Jeff was pouting because the OC's, qbs, and schemes he had sucked obviously and he was open all the time but no one got him the ball. All Garvin had to do was go out and do what was asked of him and play hard. Like you said, he did a great job with Franks. Can't go out and get 4 sacks every game unless you are Chase Young lol.

I think him not playing in the bowl game shows his mindset. He had a chance to put more on tape and chose not to knowing full well his stock wasn't that high to begin with. I'm re-watching some of the CMU game to see what was going on as this was an "easy" opponent that should have been a stat-padding type game. So far I saw some stunts which pretty much took him out of the play, a reliance on his bull rush, and CMU doing a good job of getting the ball out quick. That could also be a factor throughout the season but that didn't stop Rousseau from racking up sacks. The effort seemed to be there during this game, the QB fled the pocket after Garvin flew up field and Garvin ran down field and jumped on a fumble that didn't turn out to be a real fumble but still.

Advertisement

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

What was his snap breakdown?

Advertisement
A lot of people have been saying “he went from 5.5 sacks to 5 sacks. It’s not a huge deal” but the rest of his numbers show the whole story. Lack of effort has been cited along with the combine scout who mentioned his unwillingness to be coachable. It’s a shame because he’s talented.

Advertisement
A lot of people have been saying “he went from 5.5 sacks to 5 sacks. It’s not a huge deal” but the rest of his numbers show the whole story. Lack of effort has been cited along with the combine scout who mentioned his unwillingness to be coachable. It’s a shame because he’s talented.

I know I questioned it during the season but with Rousseau having the year he did kind of hid, Garvin slid through the cracks in terms of criticism for the most part.

Same thing that happens to all of our players who show promise early: they regress.

True, but it's also been a routine where all of our gifted players flash and put up numbers, and then the very next year they are asked to do something else like play T instead of G, and vice versa, drop back as opposed to just rushing, etc.

The Chase Young's of the world are never asked to change a thing, this is why their production doesn't change. Other staffs just build up the weaker link with rotations as opposed to sending their best player out of position taking away what made him great. They will do the same to Rousseau this season, hopefully he has a better attitude about it than Garvin did. But like Garvin, this change will come right at his "money year".

Advertisement
Back