What Happened To UNC Game Broadcast??

It’s all relative. There’s a different standard up there then in miami. They can’t complain bc it’s never happened for them. Look at Bama, their fans are ****ed and so is Saban when they don’t win a chip. It’s become the standard there. Is it fair? Probably not but it’s the reality of it. And once again I said it’s ok to be appreciative and disappointed. But it’s delusional to say in 20 years people wouldn’t look at Morris differently if he would’ve left after 16 as opposed to ruining the streak and being a miracle run away from starting the wrong kind of streak.
Again. Delusional to the facts. No way he's gonna retire after making it to Omaha and not winning another title when he had a top 5 recruiting class coming in that ultimately didn't pan out out because the top recruits signed pro contracts. Let's not have revisionist history on how we got to this point.

Secondly, Winning a championship is hard. There's only a handful of teams that have won multiple baseball titles. The sad fact is that fans of all sports think their team should be a champion every year. Every year there is one winner and a bunch of losers. Just because you pay a coach millions of dollars doesn't guarantee a championship (a al Texas A&M - Jimbo Fisher $75M) and every other team and sport.

Thirdly, and most importantly, baseball has a limited number of scholarships. Per NCAA rules, baseball can only give 11.7 scholarships to be divided by at most 27 players with a minimum of 25% per scholarship player. That really hurts schools like Miami where the cost of attendance is so high. You're asking kids to come to your school who have major league talent to incur over $100,000 in debt when they can go to a state school and maybe have $25,000 of debt. That's a big deal that nobody's paying attention to.

Advertisement
So the man is more important than the program. He won two championships, so let him run it in the ground when he gets old.
The program isn't ran into the ground. We have a top 10 freshman class. The Mistake Morris made was counting on signing a top 5 2016 recruiting class. He recruited the players. They all decided to turn pro because they got drafted so high. Had those players gone to college this would be a contending team.

So he misses on a recruiting class and now he's trash?

When Fraser took over, Miami didn't even have baseball scholarships or even uniforms, so let's pump the brakes a little and actually use context when comparing. Aside from a higher winning %, another thing Fraser did better than Morris was know when to walk away.
Last I checked he's retiring this year. Everyone has this fantasy that a coach should leave on a high note. Had he won another title in 2016, he probably would have retired. He had a top 5 recruiting class in 2016 until it fell apart when all those recruits got drafted high and signed pro contracts.

I am in no way saying he's better than the Wizard. Everyone acts like the man didn't do anything. I just pointed out thst he had equal achievements granted he benefited from an established program when he came to Miami.

In contrast, Mike Martin is a legend at FSU. 38 years of baseball, and NO National Titles!!!

It's funny how a new coach in any sport gets a free pass for a couple of years on his/her wins and losses, but the the man that brought you championships doesn't!!!

I don't know where this delusional self entitlement started in the US sports, but I hate it!!!

Morris inherited a Ferrari and drove it well for a while before eventually running it off a cliff.

Fraser built the Ferrari from scratch without a manual, and rode it to it's peak potential. Not only that, he also built the road for the Ferrari to drive on.

I'll say this about Morris though...at least he was qualified to take the keys to the Ferrari. DiMare isn't qualified to be the head coach of FIU.

Advertisement
Last I checked he's retiring this year. Everyone has this fantasy that a coach should leave on a high note. Had he won another title in 2016, he probably would have retired. He had a top 5 recruiting class in 2016 until it fell apart when all those recruits got drafted high and signed pro contracts.

I am in no way saying he's better than the Wizard. Everyone acts like the man didn't do anything. I just pointed out thst he had equal achievements granted he benefited from an established program when he came to Miami.

In contrast, Mike Martin is a legend at FSU. 38 years of baseball, and NO National Titles!!!

It's funny how a new coach in any sport gets a free pass for a couple of years on his/her wins and losses, but the the man that brought you championships doesn't!!!

I don't know where this delusional self entitlement started in the US sports, but I hate it!!!

It was never gonna end with a title, that’s a fantasy that is rare. But to further my point just like football south Florida is a haven for baseball talent and he got lazy with recruiting. Of course you take commitments from Correa and Yelich (yes I know they weren’t in the 16 class just making a point) but you know those kids are never gonna make it to campus. He failed to have a backup plan. That’s part of being a college coach. Scouting the juco market is never gonna win you a title. Somehow O’Sullivan up in ****sville convinces these top notch pitchers to turn down contracts, Morris couldn’t. It’s a different time kids are entitled. The game passed him by, eventually it passes everyone. I’m very appreciative of what he did for Miami, he’s a legend, but big picture he stayed too long. Happens everywhere. Augie, Mack Brown, Bowden, and Paterno just to name a few. Can never choose an individual over the program no matter how much he did for it. I want so badly to send him off happily ever after, I just can’t after last year and the disaster that this season has been.

Secondly, Winning a championship is hard. There's only a handful of teams that have won multiple baseball titles. The sad fact is that fans of all sports think their team should be a champion every year. Every year there is one winner and a bunch of losers.

Sunshine pumper response #1 - "all you guys do is expect championships"

No, we expect this program to occasionally compete for championships and always be in a position to make the post-season. We have had exactly one championship-caliber team since 2001, and that was the 2008 team. We haven't been in the winner's bracket since 2006 and haven't won two games in Omaha since 2001. So, no, we aren't expecting titles anymore. We would just like to play in a regional at this point.

Thirdly, and most importantly, baseball has a limited number of scholarships. Per NCAA rules, baseball can only give 11.7 scholarships to be divided by at most 27 players with a minimum of 25% per scholarship player. That really hurts schools like Miami where the cost of attendance is so high. You're asking kids to come to your school who have major league talent to incur over $100,000 in debt when they can go to a state school and maybe have $25,000 of debt. That's a big deal that nobody's paying attention to.

Sunshine pumper response #2 - "we can't get players because of tuition"

Funny, hundreds of thousands of students attend private schools every year even though they could go to public schools and save a ton of money. Apparently we only recruit baseball players who (1) get no financial aid and (2) get no academic scholarships.

There are smart, rich, talented baseball players all over the country. Vanderbilt and Stanford seem to be able to find them. At Miami, though, we recruit locally based on Perfect Game profiles. It's too much work to identify and recruit a kid from another area. FACT: whenever we get a kid from another state, it's because the kid contacted us first. Lazy recruiting.

2017. You can say 2018, but this team is very young and it's no realistic to put championship expectations on them. It's a rebuilding year.

I can also say 2012 and 2014 to go along with 2017 and 2018. Or any of the years that we were a 3-seed. Or any of the years when we went to Gainesville and got blasted. There are many seasons since 2001 that could be called a "bad year".

Championship expectations in 2018? No, we have post-season expectations. Just be one of the 64 teams that make regionals. But that's too far-fetched for this program at this point.

Advertisement
The program isn't ran into the ground. We have a top 10 freshman class. The Mistake Morris made was counting on signing a top 5 2016 recruiting class. He recruited the players. They all decided to turn pro because they got drafted so high. Had those players gone to college this would be a contending team.

So he misses on a recruiting class and now he's trash?

The draft isn't a mystery. You know even back during the early signing period in November who is expected to be drafted high. I have no sympathy for a coach who has no plan in June when 1st round draft picks get drafted in the first round.

It’s crazy how as soon as a coach retires or plans to retire you’re no longer allowed to talk bad about them, even when it’s factual. Sports are a business. If you were the CEO of a company and you had a solid manager that fell off and was costing you money, would you let him ride it out? Unless you’re stupid, no. What about your girl? Do you let her treat you terrible bc you remember all she did for you before? Bc she has “done so much.” You shouldn’t. It’s not a hard concept to understand. But fine go to the grave defending washed up Jim, but I won’t.

Advertisement
Back