What happened to the Wizard's Den as a title?

Advertisement
If it can be changed to the Ron Fraser Baseball Board (also a good name) it can be changed to the Wizard's Den Baseball Board....

So, wizards are now associated with the Ku Klux Klan? Not Harry Potter, not the Lord of the Rings, not Merlin, from the ancient legend of King Arthur. The KKK. That's why y'all changed the name of this board?

I just started following Canes baseball 3 years ago. I'm younger than 35 years old, (I'm 30). I actually didn't know who Ron Frasier was before I started following this board 3 years ago. I haven't been fortunate enough to be a Canes Baseball fan when we were actually an elite baseball program. I did dip my toe in during the '08 season, but then fell back out of fandom till just a few years ago. Nonetheless, I was able to figure out who 'The Wizard,' was after just a few games following the 2019 team, thanks entirely to following this board, which was my main, and only, source of Miami baseball info. And I'm grateful this board spurred me on to figure out what 'the wizard' actually meant to college baseball.

Perhaps it's a bit irrational, but removing the name 'The Wizard,' and declaring it's because of racism, and mentions by Google, makes me very disappointed, as I believe it does so many others who follow this board. I think other fan's are right when they tell you that winning more games, is the way to increase the number of clicks to this board. Just getting rid of the word the word 'The Wizard' will upset your base, and not gain you anything at all. Just my two cents, as someone who is not a regular poster, but is a regular follower of CanesInsight.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My problem was always with "the Den" part. An actual wizard would chill in a tower, no?
I was going to make a KKK joke and say we should call it "the wizards *insert name of where KKK hosts their meetings*" and as I am googling it, I kid you not, they refer to it as a den.

So that actually makes a lot more sense, now that I read that, as to why Andrew wanted to change the name of the board. Its not just because of Wizard, but because a wizard den is actually the name of the location where they host KKK meetings. Makes a lot more sense once you actually do a few minutes of research.

Just to refocus here. This is about the the difference between "Wizard's Den" and "The Ron Fraser Baseball Board"

Think about that. There is literally nothing to argue about.

I agree, btw. I thought it was being changed to "Baseball Board" (was it for a minute?) which was my bad.

Advertisement
More people will find this board if it is called the Ron Fraser Baseball Board or the Miami Baseball Board (no disrespect meant to the legend Ron Fraser there at all. I was a huge fan of Ron's and went to many games at the Light as a student). It will help grow the board. However, the Wizard's Den sounded cooler. Would "The Facebook" (original name) have achieved the same level of success as "Facebook"? Methinks not.

I agree with the poster that mentioned the risks of "whitewashing" a board. You've done a great job cleaning out some of the garbage posts and reducing the number of hostile posters (I'm all for that) but you don't want the board to become too generic & completely lose its personality.

Advertisement
What about naming it on a play on words, like the university does with, Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field

Only title it something like..

The Ron Fraser Baseball Board
at/ in the Wizards Den...

Or something like that. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I don't know how that is relevant. The people who run the site are trying to make it more user-friendly. They are worried about page visits, not whether or not the user knows anything about baseball in the 80's.
If this was the case for the name change ( which I'm not agreeing with either). Why are there zero articles about baseball?

Kendall Roger's used to do amazing work on rivals, the went to a site you have to pay to read any articles.

If we had content to talk about that would drive traffic. Articles drives traffic (creating better SEO), reading any game thread you would think we are 2-18. It's all negative, when in reality we have a **** good team. (Badly need to find a sunday pitcher).

Article ideas to help out...
Where is gates
Whats the next series look like
Whats rpi and why should we care about it
**** someone could even write about world famous shakes
A cleaner professional looking schedule

Also thank you to the person updating the schedule ( I use is often). Not knocking what you are doing.

As far as the name change. Personally I loved the wizards den (btw anyone that has ever watched a cws game on tv hears who the wizard is and knows, especially if they are a miami fan)

These are just ideas, love the board, but something about the team other than just games and scores would drive way more traffic.

Sorry for the long rant

Four pages long complaining about a board's name?
We should start a petition to name the basketball board after Jim Larrañaga and the football board after Howard Schnellenberger.

Advertisement
If this was the case for the name change ( which I'm not agreeing with either). Why are there zero articles about baseball?

Kendall Roger's used to do amazing work on rivals, the went to a site you have to pay to read any articles.

If we had content to talk about that would drive traffic. Articles drives traffic (creating better SEO), reading any game thread you would think we are 2-18. It's all negative, when in reality we have a **** good team. (Badly need to find a sunday pitcher).

Article ideas to help out...
Where is gates
Whats the next series look like
Whats rpi and why should we care about it
**** someone could even write about world famous shakes
A cleaner professional looking schedule

Also thank you to the person updating the schedule ( I use is often). Not knocking what you are doing.

As far as the name change. Personally I loved the wizards den (btw anyone that has ever watched a cws game on tv hears who the wizard is and knows, especially if they are a miami fan)

These are just ideas, love the board, but something about the team other than just games and scores would drive way more traffic.

Sorry for the long rant
Are you trying to tell me content would drive traffic to the board?

I like this guy.

Advertisement
Back