What happened to stateoftheu

Nice companion piece to the "Why does Miami media suck so much" thread.

Avenues like sbnation, early bleacherreport, etc. are some of the key reasons why sports journalism absolutely stinks. Those were avenues that let people get published for content - not the quality, but the quantity of it - and people did it FOR FREE, some would make poverty wages and those companies became very lucrative as a result of using "freelance" sports writers. It made sports writing and sports journalism worthless, and unlike say - a Youtuber who makes money by generating content - the individual doing the writing made very little, if nothing at all generating content. Slideshows ranking nonsense and clickbait nonsense generated clicks and revenue...good, solid, sports journalism did not. ...and here we are.

Advertisement
No, what they lack is anyone with any writing skills. Click on any "article" on that site, it reads like a 5th grader wrote it. Not only is it elementary writing, but it's either not proofread or edited at all. It's so embarrassing. Here is every article on there:

"The Miami Hurricanes played the Florida State Seminoles in football on Saturday night. The game score was 52-10, but it wasn't even that much close. The Hurricanes scored a lot of points early in the game, taking a big led into halftime, and never looked back. It maybe could have been even much worse for the Seminoles, but Manny Diaz called off the dogs and let young kids play in the later game."

It reads like the site is part of the Make-A-Wish network.

Is this real real quote? Surely, that can’t be right. I’m assuming you’re just using that as an example and it’s not real, because if it is, oh Lord.

Is this real real quote? Surely, that can’t be right. I’m assuming you’re just using that as an example and it’s not real, because if it is, oh Lord.

Seems about right to me. I routinely found grammatical errors in their posts, to the point I offered to proofread articles for them before they got posted, so they wouldn't sound like complete morons.

Advertisement
Could've fooled me.

When he was on here, I used to correct his grammar, lol. He definitely needs to hone his skills.

The instant gratification IG/TikTok generation has destroyed journalism. It used to be that writers would interview primary sources, then verify what those sources said, often also bringing in an expert third party, and ultimately have an editor review their work. You'd have true "reporting". Now it's real-time megaphoning, with zero filter, authority or quality control.

Sports journalism is the worst of the worst, second only to entertainment reporters and Paparazzi.

When he was on here, I used to correct his grammar, lol. He definitely needs to hone his skills.

The instant gratification IG/TikTok generation has destroyed journalism. It used to be that writers would interview primary sources, then verify what those sources said, often also bringing in an expert third party, and ultimately have an editor review their work. You'd have true "reporting". Now it's real-time megaphoning, with zero filter, authority or quality control.

Sports journalism is the worst of the worst, second only to entertainment reporters and Paparazzi.

If you're gonna put your work out there, check it. If you're going to portend to be a "professional" writer, be professional about it. You instantly lose credibility when you demonstrate a lack of command or respect for your own profession. I work in finance. Making mistakes with people's money is absolutely unacceptable.

I'd argue twitter destroyed journalism. Condensed every story into 128 characters for instant gratification.

In fairness, I could just as easily say this is the best era of journalism given access to information and proliferation of video technology. Big journalism is dying because it's lazy and not compelling, not because no one is interested.

If you're gonna put your work out there, check it. If you're going to portend to be a "professional" writer, be professional about it. You instantly lose credibility when you demonstrate a lack of command or respect for your own profession. I work in finance. Making mistakes with people's money is absolutely unacceptable.

I'd argue twitter destroyed journalism. Condensed every story into 128 characters for instant gratification.

In fairness, I could just as easily say this is the best era of journalism given access to information and proliferation of video technology. Big journalism is dying because it's lazy and not compelling, not because no one is interested.

All fair points. I think "citizen journalism" is helping fill the hole that Twitter et al left. I still miss good solidly research professional journalism. But no one has patience to read that rich content any more, unfortunately.

Advertisement
All fair points. I think "citizen journalism" is helping fill the hole that Twitter et al left. I still miss good solidly research professional journalism. But no one has patience to read that rich content any more, unfortunately.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, but there's some brilliant stuff out there. Almost everything Vice does is at least compelling. There are a litany of obscure, amazing documentaries out there, all made within the last 10 years or so. Journalism didn't die, it just experienced a major, major shift.

Do they really have access? Aren’t we constantly complaining about how no one has a scoop?

“Sports journalism“ LOL

Even in its heyday it was bottom of the barrel, with a few exceptions of course. The hard drinking, hard-bitten gumshoe types from before my time were tolerable because they were interesting characters. There were even some good writers among them.

There is nothing now. Just clown shows.

Advertisement
Wall St Journal is still fire and only major paper bringing in the bacon

I like Cam. I owe him a life debt whether he remembers it or not. Nolan blocked me on twitter for turning heel on Al Golden (specifically when Golden went awol and played footsie with Penn State for a week), he can suck a ****.

I echo much of Andrew's sentiments about SOTU. They are a blog, are part of a network, so they have a much larger social media reach (most of which occurred after Cam went there, so props to him for being part of that growth). We're privately owned and independent and more of a message board community.

I still miss it being the 7thfloorcrew before UM made them change the name for access

Last edited:
Advertisement
Absolutely loving the Cam Underwood hate on here. Dude is a clown. He's unwatchable on Mark Rogers. Just goes on and on and on and on.

SOTU got especially bad when Marsh (whatever his name is) starting being a main contributor and would just quote his own tweets in articles as if he was an expert on anything beside never having lived in Miami or having any actual association with the University.

The content was never actually good for the most part. Just summaries of info from other sources.
200.gif

“Sports journalism“ LOL

Even in its heyday it was bottom of the barrel, with a few exceptions of course. The hard drinking, hard-bitten gumshoe types from before my time were tolerable because they were interesting characters. There were even some good writers among them.

There is nothing now. Just clown shows.

You're not wrong here, but isn't that how it should be? Sports is not a major, pressing sociopolitical issue. That said, sports journalists are at least still a step above food/movie critics.

Advertisement
Back