What happened to Payton?

some of its the kid and some of its the coaching.

i hate this “taking a while to figure it out”

he’s a WR not an Olineman or QB.

you mean to tell me that the coaches can’t help/teach him to master 5-10 plays so he can go out and run those routes?

Like we literally talking about going out and running routes.

now I do wonder if he has the talent and skill because I would imagine they’d at least get him touches via bubble screens etc.

but I will agree that this staffs love affair with Dee Wiggins is sickening. He’s done absolutely nothing on game day to prove that he deserves all these snaps above anyone else.

Advertisement
Payton and Huff are two kids I've thought have all the potential in the world but I have no idea if either will do anything here. I hope the light bulb goes on for both because they could be difference makers.
I forgot all about huff lol

Scheme and Player development have been bigger issues at this position than evaluations. Jeff Thomas was higher rated and faster than Moore but was an average here.
Wrong. Jeff Thomas was an obvious personality and character challenged kid. That goes to the heart of evals. Are they willing to do the work and for into a team. Evals are absolutely not just about physical traits. That misses their point entirely.

We give Wiggins 60+ snaps a game for some reason so the other WRs don’t really get a chance.
Agreed. I would love to see some of the upperclassmen like Carter wiggins pope McCloud Jennings move on from the program so there is no temptation from the staff to continue to play them

Advertisement
He’s a case study in how it goes around here, and I like the kid and hope he develops.

He’s a decent wr prospect, fits a mold of somewhat quick and fluid, not huge not tiny, came in a year we didn’t have others and was committed to us for a long time (since summer iirc). Also reportedly a good kid. Not local.

So what happened? He’s elevated as a prospect in the minds of fans based on hints and allegations. He did this at camp, he did this in a game highlight, the staff is super excited, just wait for green tree. Who said that? Alleged insiders on anonymous fab boards. All a a suddenly, he’s faster and quicker than we thought, must create great separation, glue for hands, fights for the ball, lots of YAC. But at the end of it all, what was true?

Harley needed 4 years to become really dependable. Many kids do. Payton may end up quite solid. But he is why I talk about Evals. We take kids like this and pass on elijah moore. We do not know what traits to look for in WR prospects, or at least, we haven’t been assessing them right the past 20 years.

Payton isn’t fast or quick enough to be fast or quick. He’s not so big he creates match up issues. He’s a kid with a solid mix of traits who may or may not excel but whether he will or won’t is going to be based on the traits few fans paid attention to when we were recruiting him. Toughness, hands, physicality. competitiveness, drive to work and improve.

Some kids are obvious physical specimens. Kids who are 97% percentile and up for their athletic peer group. And even they can fail b/c the traits I mentioned still dominate. But at least you know the bet with them. For kids who stand out less, we tend to use the wrong lens and wrong words to describe them as prospects. Or Elijah Moore would be playing at UM right now.

Sorry for the rant.

100% Why is it we keep getting kids who don't realize you have to put in extra work on your own until they are Juniors and Seniors? I just don't get it.

He’s a case study in how it goes around here, and I like the kid and hope he develops.

He’s a decent wr prospect, fits a mold of somewhat quick and fluid, not huge not tiny, came in a year we didn’t have others and was committed to us for a long time (since summer iirc). Also reportedly a good kid. Not local.

So what happened? He’s elevated as a prospect in the minds of fans based on hints and allegations. He did this at camp, he did this in a game highlight, the staff is super excited, just wait for green tree. Who said that? Alleged insiders on anonymous fab boards. All a a suddenly, he’s faster and quicker than we thought, must create great separation, glue for hands, fights for the ball, lots of YAC. But at the end of it all, what was true?

Harley needed 4 years to become really dependable. Many kids do. Payton may end up quite solid. But he is why I talk about Evals. We take kids like this and pass on elijah moore. We do not know what traits to look for in WR prospects, or at least, we haven’t been assessing them right the past 20 years.

Payton isn’t fast or quick enough to be fast or quick. He’s not so big he creates match up issues. He’s a kid with a solid mix of traits who may or may not excel but whether he will or won’t is going to be based on the traits few fans paid attention to when we were recruiting him. Toughness, hands, physicality. competitiveness, drive to work and improve.

Some kids are obvious physical specimens. Kids who are 97% percentile and up for their athletic peer group. And even they can fail b/c the traits I mentioned still dominate. But at least you know the bet with them. For kids who stand out less, we tend to use the wrong lens and wrong words to describe them as prospects. Or Elijah Moore would be playing at UM right now.

Sorry for the rant.
He was a top 100 kid tho lol

Advertisement
100% Why is it we keep getting kids who don't realize you have to put in extra work on your own until they are Juniors and Seniors? I just don't get it.
for all i know they are putting the work in. don’t want to judge the kids. it’s a big jump from hs to major college ball. it can take a few years of work for the work to pay off.

for all i know they are putting the work in. don’t want to judge the kids. it’s a big jump from hs to major college ball. it can take a few years of work for the work to pay off.
I'm speaking of the WRs who actually confirmed they weren't working hard until their starting positions were up for grabs. It also shows in the WRs as they look like the exact same player they were when they got here.

I'm speaking of the WRs who actually confirmed they weren't working hard until their starting positions were up for grabs. It also shows in the WRs as they look like the exact same player they were when they got here.
that’s on manny, too. culture starts with a leader

Advertisement
I was Someone excited for him and wanted to see him excel. He strikes me as a kid not totally locked in with the playbook and knowing his assignment. The timing with him and King was awful. Then the Covid and the injury. He needs to focus a lot more
He has to put It together next year or he will be passed over.

In the little I saw from him on the field he was the only WR that came back for the ball and not wait for it to hit him in the chest. Which is 3x better than two others eating up PT. Still didn’t get any burn means he may not be locked in mentally but that can be said for the before mentioned.

some of its the kid and some of its the coaching.

i hate this “taking a while to figure it out”

he’s a WR not an Olineman or QB.

you mean to tell me that the coaches can’t help/teach him to master 5-10 plays so he can go out and run those routes?

Like we literally talking about going out and running routes.

now I do wonder if he has the talent and skill because I would imagine they’d at least get him touches via bubble screens etc.

but I will agree that this staffs love affair with Dee Wiggins is sickening. He’s done absolutely nothing on game day to prove that he deserves all these snaps above anyone else.
i’m not reviewing film, but i suspect the staff has a sense of what they’re looking for. being a wr is a lot more than catching a ball now and then. you’re part of the play and team when they throw to someone else, too. did you run your route right? if not you may have messed everyone up with bad spacing. Did you block the guys you needed to so the other guy could get YAC? Fans want to see the clip of a catch. The staff looks at a lot more than that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back