What Doomed Richt?

LA\^/

Sophomore
"The Dream Team" that was not
Overview: The 2011 recruiting class was supposed to be one of Richt's best as seven of the top 10 players in the state committed to the Bulldogs. A bunch of the commits coined the term "Dream Team" for the class, which finished fifth nationally, but it was really marred by failures and didn't pan out as envisioned.
Five-star DE Ray Drew had a nice career with the Bulldogs but by no means was an absolute terror for years in Athens. Columbus (Ga.) Carver five-star RB Isaiah Crowell was dismissed from the team but has still found his way into the NFL.

There were some successes in that class but it is considered a disappointing group - and it cascaded into average 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes, which undoubtedly caused some issues.

Farrell's take: "Everybody decided they wanted to stay in-state and there was so much talent on paper there. Arguably the two best college players in that class enjoyed their success at other programs - Nick Marshall and Crowell. That class fell apart."

The slide of 2012 & 2013
Overview: After finishing fifth overall in the team rankings and second among SEC teams in 2011 - the class that never lived up to expectations - Georgia slid to No. 12 overall twice in a row in the 2012 and 2013 class, fourth and seventh, respectively, in the conference.
By no means is the No. 12 recruiting class in the country terrible but there was a slide and in the cutthroat SEC, sharks smelled blood in the water.

The top player in the state in 2012, Valdosta Lowndes DB Josh Harvey-Clemons, signed with Georgia but transferred to Louisville after a couple seasons.

The best player in the 2013 class, Loganville Grayson DE Robert Nkemdiche, was one of many 2013 and 2014 state of Georgia stars that left for college, which brings us to our next - and very important point.

Farrell's take: "There were some factors working against them without a doubt. Auburn is oftentimes closer geographically to some kids but they're still in-state kids and they should grow up dreaming about playing for Georgia."

Fleeing the state
Overview: By no means was Richt a bad recruiter. In the Rivals.com era dating back to 2002, Richt's worst class was No. 15 overall. Aside from two No. 12 finishes and a No. 10 close, the Bulldogs always had a top 10 class. It was usually an impressive haul.
But in the 2013 and 2014 classes, Georgia missed out on a bunch of top-flight, in-state recruits that could have completely changed the landscape of its team.

In the 2013 class, Nkemdiche went to Ole Miss, DE Carl Lawson and DT Montravius Adams wound up at Auburn and DB Vonn Bell fled to Ohio State. All four were five-star prospects. The following recruiting class, Georgia missed out on five-star LB Raekwon McMillan (Ohio State) and five-star QB Deshaun Watson (Clemson).

No matter how one looks at it, even some of those players could have made Georgia far more competitive.

Farrell's take: "Nkemdiche was going to follow his brother, there's no doubt about that, but the other guys I just think there were too many talented kids in those classes that got away for it to be acceptable at Georgia. There were a lot of guys that went out-of-state that hurt the efforts of the program at key positional needs."

Lack of QB development
Overview: Richt has a long and impressive track record as a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator dating back to the late 1980's. But other than five-star Matthew Stafford and four-star Aaron Murray (along with D.J. Shockley prior to the Rivals era), Georgia has been mired with average quarterback play.
It's unclear whether it's a recruiting issue, a few misses here and there with four-star recruits, not landing Cam Newton, or a deeper development issue that will be left up to others. But the Bulldogs were a mess at QB this season and had some odd juggling of signal callers along the way as well. The questionable handling of the quarterbacks in the Florida loss was particularly distressing.

Even with Stafford (the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft) and Murray (who threw for more than 13,000 yards and 121 TDs at Georgia), the Bulldogs never won a national title, the pinnacle and ultimate measure of it all.

Five-star quarterback Jacob Eason from Lake Stevens, Wash., remains committed to the Bulldogs but has not commented on his pledge since Richt's firing.

Farrell's take: "It can be an argument either way. You've had some guys that were extremely productive at the college level and Stafford was the No. 1 pick, Murray was the SEC career passing leader when he left. But one of these guys, as talented as they were, should've been able to lead Georgia to a national championship so that leads to either quarterback development or offensive philosophy falls on Richt."

Dominate the state?
Overview: There have been 30 five-stars from Georgia in the Rivals era. The Bulldogs have signed only 11. Fourteen have gone elsewhere and five remain unsigned in the 2016 and 2017 classes. That's decent work by Richt but it's by no means locking up the state.
In the last two recruiting classes, Georgia has done quite well locally. So far in the 2016 cycle, four of the six commits in the top 10 are to the Bulldogs. Last recruiting cycle, Georgia signed the top two players and seven of the top 10. There have been thin years, too, like 2012 and 2014 where Richt signed only three of the top 10. In 2013, one of the top 10 players signed with Georgia.

When it comes to top-ranked players in the state of Georgia, too often that high-end talent left the state, like in 2007 with Eric Berry going to Tennessee, 2013 and 2014 with Nkemdiche (although family considerations pulled him to Ole Miss) and McMillan.

Richt needed to lock down the state of Georgia as everyone tried to come in. He didn't exactly do that.

Farrell's take: "It is so important to keep in-state kids home and in a lot of cases Richt failed at doing that with key players. Nkemdiche was always going to be a tough one but there were many others that Georgia didn't land. It definitely could have changed what this team looked like in the last couple years."
https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1831690

Advertisement
So the guy couldn't lock down the state where he was basically the only team in town, GT does not count. Now, we expect him to come to Miami and recruit well against Florida and FSU and every other major program. :monkey-serious:

Advertisement
This sentiment is similar to what Bomani Jones was saying about Richt.

Missing on Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson was huge. No way Richt isn't at UGA today if he wins a ship with Cam, or is in the running this season with Watson.

Both of those kids are game changers at QB. I'd like our next HC to be able to land game changers at QB.

I hate when people say "lock down the state" or "lock down the region." Some kids want to away for school. I'd say that percentage is higher than ever since technology now allows us to be closer even though we can be thousands of miles away. You will never get everyone to stay.

So 25 5 star recruits from Georgia have signed in the Rivals era and they have landed 11. That is a fairly good rate given other schools like Bama, USC, ND, etc. have more "cache"

Did Richt want a running QB? For the most part, I think you take the best kids and figure out how to use them, but with QB that could mean changing your whole system every few years.

I hate when people say "lock down the state" or "lock down the region." Some kids want to away for school. I'd say that percentage is higher than ever since technology now allows us to be closer even though we can be thousands of miles away. You will never get everyone to stay.

So 25 5 star recruits from Georgia have signed in the Rivals era and they have landed 11. That is a fairly good rate given other schools like Bama, USC, ND, etc. have more "cache"

That's actually pretty impressive. People often assume that every kid wants to play near their home. Remember Matthew Thomas?

Advertisement
Besides Stafford and Murray, it was the lack of QB development that killed him for a few years.

I don't undestand why they weren't more competitive with those guys, though.

Maybe. But the problem is now has to compete against FSU and UF for the 25 5*s. In GA he was the big fish in the state. Its no secret that he had early success in recruiting then all of a sudden in the latter years HS players in GA started jumping ship. They found out that Richt wasnt it. And the same will happen to us here after whatever shine he might bring wears off. It will be more of the same. In fact, I predict his tenure will be exactly like it was at UGA. 15 years...2 ACC titles...alot of Coastal titles but he gets his a$$ spanked by FSU most of those years. Constant underachievement. Never wins a title.

My family are big Georgia fans. They have always like Richt. However they have not been happy with his results. Basically as many have noted he seems to always lose the big games. They have as much talent as Bama but could never really compete with them. They came close in that one SEC Championship game. They never played Auburn well. Always lost to SC because usually Spurrier out coached him. Seemed to always struggle with Vandy for some reason. They usually kicked the crap out of GT, so we have that.

And of course he could never beat Florida. So if could not beat Florida on a regular basis how does that translate to him playing against a speed team like FSU every year? For me I would not be upset. We have clamored for 12 years now about not having adequate coaching. Richt would bring that back. He knows fundamentals and X's and O's. He knows how to recruit. The knock is will he able to beat FSU year in year out. I really have no doubt that Richt would coach here as long as he wanted to. He would be about a 10 win a year type guy. Does he have the desire and ability to win a NC? His track record says no.

These guys would be 10-2 right now if Chubb didn't wreck his knee on a soaked field in Tennessee.

Advertisement
Did Richt want a running QB? For the most part, I think you take the best kids and figure out how to use them, but with QB that could mean changing your whole system every few years.

Based on how Newton and Watson have turned out, he should want a running QB.

****, the best college QB he had was Charlie Ward ... That should be his model for the position, IMO.

These guys would be 10-2 right now if Chubb didn't wreck his knee on a soaked field in Tennessee.

They are 0-3 vs teams with winning records. 9-0 with those that don't.

I'm very impressed.

Fair point, but having your Heisman-caliber RB out for the season and a run-based offense isn't a recipe for success against top teams. (No excuse for not beating Tenn, but 'Bama and UF have pretty stacked Ds this year.)

Advertisement

Maybe. But the problem is now has to compete against FSU and UF for the 25 5*s. In GA he was the big fish in the state. Its no secret that he had early success in recruiting then all of a sudden in the latter years HS players in GA started jumping ship. They found out that Richt wasnt it. And the same will happen to us here after whatever shine he might bring wears off. It will be more of the same. In fact, I predict his tenure will be exactly like it was at UGA. 15 years...2 ACC titles...alot of Coastal titles but he gets his a$$ spanked by FSU most of those years. Constant underachievement. Never wins a title.

They started leaving Georgia because they found out Richt wasn't it? That seems like a bold statement. So every highly ranked kid that leaves Alabama, Louisiana or California do so because they don't believe in the coach? The truth is that every kid has a different reason for going where they want to go. If he hits on 40% of the 5 star kids in Florida, we'll be rolling. Bring on Richt!!!!

They started leaving Georgia because they found out Richt wasn't it? That seems like a bold statement. So every highly ranked kid that leaves Alabama, Louisiana or California do so because they don't believe in the coach? The truth is that every kid has a different reason for going where they want to go. If he hits on 40% of the 5 star kids in Florida, we'll be rolling. Bring on Richt!!!!

Losing kids like Nkemdiche, Deshaun Watson and Carl Lawson were program altering misses. Those losses set you back. **** if Richt had just hit on Watson he would still have a job. (Hmmm..doesnt this sound familiar? A coach who loses out on too many cant miss game breakers in consecutive years and ultimately is their demise)..

He wont hit on 40% in FLA if he cant find a way to relate to these inner city kids. This wont be like going to the back woods of some country part of GA and charming some 5* kids grandma with the good scriptures in the Bible and saying "Yes ma'am, No ma'am". Not saying he cant do it..But WE KNOW that Butch can.

Losing kids like Nkemdiche, Deshaun Watson and Carl Lawson were program altering misses. Those losses set you back. **** if Richt had just hit on Watson he would still have a job. (Hmmm..doesnt this sound familiar? A coach who loses out on too many cant miss game breakers in consecutive years and ultimately is their demise)..

He wont hit on 40% in FLA if he cant find a way to relate to these inner city kids. This wont be like going to the back woods of some country part of GA and charming some 5* kids grandma with the good scriptures in the Bible and saying "Yes ma'am, No ma'am". Not saying he cant do it..But WE KNOW that Butch can.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on Richt. I think he'd be a grand slam for us. I'd love watching us be relevant again.

It's also easy to look at successful players that went elsewhere in hindsight and blame the coach, but you and I have to insight into why those players really truly went whee they did. You can't just assume it's a miss if you never get a shot an he may never really have ever truly had a shot.

Mark will kill Miami with kindness. He will end our lives with 9 win seasons. Super nice guy but not NC material.

Advertisement
Back