What Doomed Richt?

I hate when people say "lock down the state" or "lock down the region." Some kids want to away for school. I'd say that percentage is higher than ever since technology now allows us to be closer even though we can be thousands of miles away. You will never get everyone to stay.

So 25 5 star recruits from Georgia have signed in the Rivals era and they have landed 11. That is a fairly good rate given other schools like Bama, USC, ND, etc. have more "cache"

OK, those schools all have history. But the real question is why hasn't Richt made his own history in 15 years at a program with terrific potential? Other schools have done much more with less.

Advertisement
I posted this in a thread over a month ago about Richt's recruiting. Seems applicable here.

"To be fair to Richt, Georgia only has GT in state but Bama, Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, UF and FSU all recruit the state heavily and are within 5 hours or less from Atlanta. Many of those schools fish is Georgia's pond because their local talent isn't deep. Some of the SEC and ACC recruit GA harder than their own home states in some cases. Some of the southern GA talent (Thomasville, Valdosta for example) are much closer to the FSU and UF campuses. This exists in other parts of the state, Ga is literally recruited from all sides due to locations and population base of many of the surrounding states.

However, I do believe that Richt has underachieved somewhat. Losing Watson and Newton are killers. I'm convinced Nkemdiche was paid. The Ole Miss class with him, Tunsil, Treadwell etc. stinks of bagmen.

His QB play in his 15 years has consisted of:

David Greene for 4 years
DJ Shockley for 1 year
Matthew Stafford for 3 years
Joe Cox for 1 year
Aaron Murray for 4 years
Hutson Mason for 1 year
Greyson Lambert/ Faton Bauta this season

Good overall QB track record with #1 Jacob Eason committed for this year.

I hate when people say "lock down the state" or "lock down the region." Some kids want to away for school. I'd say that percentage is higher than ever since technology now allows us to be closer even though we can be thousands of miles away. You will never get everyone to stay.

So 25 5 star recruits from Georgia have signed in the Rivals era and they have landed 11. That is a fairly good rate given other schools like Bama, USC, ND, etc. have more "cache"

OK, those schools all have history. But the real question is why hasn't Richt made his own history in 15 years at a program with terrific potential? Other schools have done much more with less.

Exactly [MENTION=6646]rustywalkedaway[/MENTION]. The guy was averaging less than 1 5* a year...THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN!!!

That bs that u cant lock down ur area is a loser excuse

Butch can stockpile others cant stock pile,butch can convince dudes to sit the bench. Richt does do that at rb though, i like richt but i just dont trust him as much as butch. Everyone has there flaws and when miami was great they lockdown sfla, i dont care what recruiting notebooks of ancient history says miami locked down sfla, thats what my eyes told me and nfl careers of players told me. Rt now we send ok players ans thata a nono given our region n location.

I guess people have a different definition of success and "history." I'd say what he's done is nothing short of spectacular. The detractors all focus on his lack of NCs or his inability to win the SEC outright more often. Let's not forget during his career he's had to contend with two of the greatest recent dynasties in Florida and Alabama. Given that, he's still won 2 SEC titles and 74% of his games. Averaging almost 10 wins a year for 15 years is ridiculous. But you and everyone else can continue to poke holes in his accomplishments. He's a great coach, recruiter and by all accounts runs a super clean program. I'd be honored to have him at the U.

Advertisement
saban1.jpg

Advertisement
Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.

Spot on...

Also playing in the SEC aint easy... In the ACC you have a game you can lose every 4 games in the SEC its every other week. You lose guys to injuries and your F'd.

Another person that has bought in to the SEC myth. Sad.

Yeah that makes every professional opinion and me vs the delusional. Its truly amazing how the mind unknowingly bends perception for its biases.

I guess people have a different definition of success and "history." I'd say what he's done is nothing short of spectacular. The detractors all focus on his lack of NCs or his inability to win the SEC outright more often. Let's not forget during his career he's had to contend with two of the greatest recent dynasties in Florida and Alabama. Given that, he's still won 2 SEC titles and 74% of his games. Averaging almost 10 wins a year for 15 years is ridiculous. But you and everyone else can continue to poke holes in his accomplishments. He's a great coach, recruiter and by all accounts runs a super clean program. I'd be honored to have him at the U.

1. I'm not sure Florida was one of the "greatest recent dynasties", but let's assume it was. If so, that dynasty was created by one head coach after more than a decade of Charlie Pell and Galen Hall. One guy, Steve Spurrier, made Florida your dynasty. Saban at Alabama followed DuBose, Franchione, Price (technically) and Shula. Another decade of nothing then changed by one head coach.
2. Richt followed comparable prior head coaches, in the same conference, at a school with very good resources. He did far less. I did not intend to compare him to Saban and Spurrier but, as you implicitly did, there you go.
3. Richt will win games. Will he win championships? You can point to two SEC titles in 15 years and argue "he has" but, with what he had to work with, "he did" less than he should.
4. Everybody seems to believe he is a great guy. I don't know him and have no comment. I will say that everybody says the same thing about Herm Edwards. Check his career as head coach.
5. "Poking holes in his accomplishments"? If that means I am not blindly lauding a good but never great coach, so be it.
6. You can be honored, and he might be an excellent ambassador, but regularly winning 9 games and not regularly competing for national championships is not what "big time" programs want. That is why Georgia just canned him. There is no logical argument on that point.

1. I'm not sure Florida was one of the "greatest recent dynasties", but let's assume it was. If so, that dynasty was created by one head coach after more than a decade of Charlie Pell and Galen Hall. One guy, Steve Spurrier, made Florida your dynasty. Saban at Alabama followed DuBose, Franchione, Price (technically) and Shula. Another decade of nothing then changed by one head coach.
2. Richt followed comparable prior head coaches, in the same conference, at a school with very good resources. He did far less. I did not intend to compare him to Saban and Spurrier but, as you implicitly did, there you go.
3. Richt will win games. Will he win championships? You can point to two SEC titles in 15 years and argue "he has" but, with what he had to work with, "he did" less than he should.
4. Everybody seems to believe he is a great guy. I don't know him and have no comment. I will say that everybody says the same thing about Herm Edwards. Check his career as head coach.
5. "Poking holes in his accomplishments"? If that means I am not blindly lauding a good but never great coach, so be it.
6. You can be honored, and he might be an excellent ambassador, but regularly winning 9 games and not regularly competing for national championships is not what "big time" programs want. That is why Georgia just canned him. There is no logical argument on that point.

I was talking about Urban Meyer, not Steve Spurrier. I'm pretty sure 2 National Championships and an .842 winning percentage in 5 years qualifies as a dynasty. I stopped reading after point 1.

Advertisement
Georgia is ALL UGA. Its not like here, where we have hs coaches pushing agendas and admins at school pushing to other schools.

The WHOLE ENTIRE STATE IS UGA's to own...

and dude opened the flood gates for guys to cherry pick 5 stars out of their willingly.

Its not like us going to war with uf, fsu for EVERYONE...

Dude shouldnt have much of any comp....

The only thing is his connects will help us with recruiting GA ...down here to fill some voids.....he wont lock down here either...but he would stabilize the program.

8if they really offered him the job and he hasnt taken it by tomorrow....dude shows me what i already think...he doesnt want this pressure.....

he literally had none up there at uga .

Georgia is ALL UGA. Its not like here, where we have hs coaches pushing agendas and admins at school pushing to other schools.

The WHOLE ENTIRE STATE IS UGA's to own...

and dude opened the flood gates for guys to cherry pick 5 stars out of their willingly.

Its not like us going to war with uf, fsu for EVERYONE...

Dude shouldnt have much of any comp....

The only thing is his connects will help us with recruiting GA ...down here to fill some voids.....he wont lock down here either...but he would stabilize the program.

8if they really offered him the job and he hasnt taken it by tomorrow....dude shows me what i already think...he doesnt want this pressure.....

he literally had none up there at uga .

You're wrong on this, fam.

Auburn is thick in the state of Georgia ... Alabama is thick ... Clemson is thick ... South Carolina is think ... Florida is thick ... Tennessee is thick.

Some kids in the state are closer to those schools than they are to UGA.

UGA has the edge over GT by a MILE ... But those other schools have a significant fan base in the state of Georgia.

I was talking about Urban Meyer, not Steve Spurrier. I'm pretty sure 2 National Championships and an .842 winning percentage in 5 years qualifies as a dynasty. I stopped reading after point 1.

Well that pretty much sums up your overall effort at genuine analysis as well.

Advertisement

Well that pretty much sums up your overall effort at genuine analysis as well.

No sense in analyzing incorrect information.

QB is not an immediate hole imo.

We need some dominant DT's and some O linemen that are athletic enough to pull. Seems like a lot of talented big men come out of Georgia, and I hope Richt can pull some of those dudes in this next class.

Advertisement
Back