What does Mario have to do?

Bmacthe1

Redshirt Junior
Genuine question here don’t want to be labeled a homer or doomer. After last years disaster of a season, a complete failure of a season. What is reasonable and realistically the course of action for Mario. Last years class was amazing in general but especially in terms of needs on a good amount of areas for this roster. At the time of this post the recruiting juggernaut that we saw for a single season has calmed down and has been lack luster to the point we saw it at. To get to my point, recruting wise (high school & portal), coaching hires and himself what will it take to flip the program in anyway we haven’t seen in years

Advertisement
He needs to win 8 games and has to be competitive in at least two of Clemson, A&M and FSU. Even winning 8 and then losing by 21 to A&M, 30 to Clemson and 17+ to FSU won’t have anyone feeling remotely confident heading into a much tougher ‘24 schedule (@UF, @ND, @Clemson, FSU, Duke, @louisville, @Syracuse, Pitt, etc)

Recruiting is absolutely struggling right now (or at least sputtering), which I never thought I’d say under Mario Cristobal at Miami - so for everyone that says we need to win games in order to salvage the ‘24 class and put us in a position to have an elite ‘25 class, he needs to look good winning 8 games or even 9.

I agree that I am starting to get concerned about this class. And I tend to be more optimistic with Mario. But there is a pit in my stomach. Of course, winning cures all right? If our NIL is equal with the big schools, then that narrows it down. Right now, the staff can be great salesmen selling this beautiful school, but are they going to win? There is nothing real there right now - it's "going to be" better - we are "going to be" competing for championships. Nothing right now.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Not just win but have a better-looking product on the field. That means not getting blown out at home 45-3 verses Florida State. That means not getting our *** kicked by Clemson 40-10. Kids now adays have to be able to see themselves winning those close games against our biggest rivals! They have to be able to see winning those games in the next year or two. Not four! I think we are 9-3 next year with losses to NC, Clemson, and Florida State. I think if that happens, we will start seeing flips.

2. Game atmosphere - We fans ***** and whine about HR being empty and no "game-day" atmosphere and none of us show up! That is on us the fan base!!! If you are 5-star and have offers from Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama why come here and play in front of 9,000 people? Until we get off our *** and show up this will continue. We are a lazy fan-base. The University and donors have made to comment to improve. Now it our turn to help - SHOW UP!

3. The facilities can't just be a computer presentation. I know we have started, but the completion of it is years off. We are "going to have" great facilities. Kids need to be able to picture themselves in it! This will improve over time.

Just my two-cents.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree that I am starting to get concerned about this class. And I tend to be more optimistic with Mario. But there is a pit in my stomach. Of course, winning cures all right? If our NIL is equal with the big schools, then that narrows it down. Right now, the staff can be great salesmen selling this beautiful school, but are they going to win? There is nothing real there right now - it's "going to be" better - we are "going to be" competing for championships. Nothing right now.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Not just win but have a better-looking product on the field. That means not getting blown out at home 45-3 verses Florida State. That means not getting our *** kicked by Clemson 40-10. Kids now adays have to be able to see themselves winning those close games against our biggest rivals! They have to be able to see winning those games in the next year or two. Not four! I think we are 9-3 next year with losses to NC, Clemson, and Florida State. I think if that happens, we will start seeing flips.

2. Game atmosphere - We fans ***** and whine about HR being empty and no "game-day" atmosphere and none of us show up! That is on us the fan base!!! If you are 5-star and have offers from Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama why come here and play in front of 9,000 people? Until we get off our *** and show up this will continue. We are a lazy fan-base. The University and donors have made to comment to improve. Now it our turn to help - SHOW UP!

3. The facilities can't just be a computer presentation. I know we have started, but the completion of it is years off. We are "going to have" great facilities. Kids need to be able to picture themselves in it! This will improve over time.

Just my two-cents.
2. this is Miami. its win and they'll come. they will not come until we get on a roll

Advertisement
He needs to win 8 games and has to be competitive in at least two of Clemson, A&M and FSU. Even winning 8 and then losing by 21 to A&M, 30 to Clemson and 17+ to FSU won’t have anyone feeling remotely confident heading into a much tougher ‘24 schedule (@UF, @ND, @Clemson, FSU, Duke, @louisville, @Syracuse, Pitt, etc)

Recruiting is absolutely struggling right now (or at least sputtering), which I never thought I’d say under Mario Cristobal at Miami - so for everyone that says we need to win games in order to salvage the ‘24 class and put us in a position to have an elite ‘25 class, he needs to look good winning 8 games or even 9.
I actually like our chances against A&M. I've mentioned before that we went up and down the field on them last year. Even a semi-comatose OC would have put up a couple touchdowns and win that game, but we clearly didn't have that.

1688919212842.gif

9-3 or bust! Not sold on TVD returning to 21’ form. He holds the ball too long. Hopefully he’s working hard with the WR’s on routes and timing this summer! I like the potential of Emory Williams, so blowouts need to happen to get him some snaps.

Hopefully those blowouts are in the right direction in 2023. The 2022 blowouts weren’t much fun…

Advertisement
If I'm an elite recruit I'm not coming to Miami to get stomped out by teams that don't even have a chance of sniffing the playoffs. **** that. 100% **** that. Last year was ******* embarrassing as a program. The previous coaching staff would have done better with the same players. Think about that. Recruiting may have gotten better but the results were way worse. He needs to show a complete 180 from last year in pretty much every aspect of the team come game time or we're in deep **** as a fan base. All the momentum and goodwill he had is gone imo. ******* win games or gtfoh, that's the bottom line.

Win 8 games, and they can’t all be like the Virginia win.

Be competitive in our prime time games, no blowouts

Would like to see TVD under Dawson to get back to lashlee form

Those are the bare minimum if we want to show improvement to recruits and to the fanbase.

1. Win Games
2. Get out of his own way
3. Be adaptable
My summation of has been, “Make winning easier, not harder.” It’s so freaking simple.

Miami is littered with the corpses of careers where the coach who made winning harder instead of easier. Hundreds if not thousands of micro decisions that each contributed to their downfall, instead of buoyed them during times of difficulty.

Winning in CFB is already hard, you should hire guys who’ve proven they make it easier, instead of guy who coach “your style”. If your style isn’t winning, it’s a bad style. If your coach isn’t wanted elsewhere, he’s a bad coach. If your players (the ones you start), don’t give you the best chance to win, they shouldn’t be starting.

Make. Your job. Easier.

Advertisement
Genuine question here don’t want to be labeled a homer or doomer. After last years disaster of a season, a complete failure of a season. What is reasonable and realistically the course of action for Mario. Last years class was amazing in general but especially in terms of needs on a good amount of areas for this roster. At the time of this post the recruiting juggernaut that we saw for a single season has calmed down and has been lack luster to the point we saw it at. To get to my point, recruting wise (high school & portal), coaching hires and himself what will it take to flip the program in anyway we haven’t seen in years
Continue to work his *** off and eventually become a consistent top 10 team and better, preferably sooner than later. Go Canes 🏈

Beat the teams we are supposed to beat the way we should beat them and at least look like we belong on the same field as the big boys in those games, win or lose. No more of this 45-3 horse**** and losing to MTSU. Losing is one thing but getting ******* embarrassed is another, this can't continue.

Last year was not just bad from a record standpoint, but the product looked generally abysmal. With the offense leading that charge.

Of course we all want to win every game possible. The on the field product from last year (ex. effort, play calling, tackling, etc...) has a massive amount of room for improvement. That is where he needs (and I assume already has) started.

Advertisement
Back