What Does Elite Mean?

Advertisement
I mentioned after the Louisville game that Miami continues to lack difference makers, either individuals or position groups. I think that some Miami fans have forgotten what elite looks like, as that term gets thrown around a lot here. A fairly well known coach once told me you need 3 or 4 elite guys or 2 or 3 elite groups to truly have a shot at winning a championship.

Michigan had 2 elite groups, OL and DL.

Have we had 3 elite players or groups in the last 15 years combined?

Rb: Maybe Duke Johnson
TE: No
Wr: No
OL: OL
DE: Maybe one of Phillips or Rousseau
DT: No
LB: No
Corner: No
Safety: No

That’s 3 if I’m generous. In 15 years. Kind of shocking.

RB is the most egregious. We have a “stacked room”. No we don’t. We have a room full of decent backs.

Mario is raising the talent floor and that’s great. Bain looks like a difference maker. Mario is signing some big names too. But he has to remind Miami fans what elite players looks like. Because the talent deficit is far larger than most would like to admit.

**Coach was Mark Stoops**
We may have had elite talent but we have bottom tier developers. We have not developed well for 2 decades. It doesn't matter class rankings if you have good coaching. The University of Miami does not coach well. Close thread.

Lol yes the roster hasn’t been where it needs to be.

But at the end of the day, if you don’t have an elite head coach, nothing matters. And Mario is not it.

Since you want to bring up Michigan, please don’t ignore the fact that Harbaugh is their head coach and don’t ignore the massive success he had coming into Michigan.

Also, don’t ignore the fact that Michigan doesn’t recruit at the level of the elite programs. It’s almost as if coaching matters
Wonder how Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Manny Diaz, Mario etc would fare taking over the 49ers

We may have had elite talent bit we have bottom tier developers. We have not developed well for 2 decades. It doesn't matter class rankings if you have good coaching. The University of Miami does not coach well. Close thread.
Class rankings absolutely matter. But yes I agree that we have been poor in developing players

Advertisement
I will never understand our fans who think talent trumps all and who conveniently forget that Miami was sparked by talent AND massive innovation as far as coaching. Howard, Jimmy, and Dennis were all actual good football coaches who each brought something to the table as far as X’s and O’s

Butch is the only coach who solely relied on talent and that is simply not sustainable.

I will never understand our fans who think talent trumps all and who conveniently forget that Miami was sparked by talent AND massive innovation as far as coaching. Howard, Jimmy, and Dennis were all actual good football coaches who each brought something to the table as far as X’s and O’s

Butch is the only coach who solely relied on talent and that is simply not sustainable.
Howard and Dennis offense, Jimmy defense. Jimmy (recruiting) and Dennis (tactics/scheme) also had amazing staffs.

Advertisement
Only elite players would be Phillips and Rousseau, though unfortunately didn’t play together. Difference makers, 1st rd and very good pros.

Washington WRs would be an example of an elite group.

Most surprising miss is we haven’t had an elite WR, let alone group.

OL group has potential to be elite.

Not talking just about recruiting. Give me one elite actual player besides Bain in the last 5 years
Do you think some of this might be recency bias however with seeing Michigan? And are you referring to elite in college or elite as a whole career? For example I would say Reggie Bush was pretty **** elite in college but in the NFL he was decent, I would not put him in an elite NFL category. Jimmy Graham is the inverse, he was pretty mid to bad here for his one year but his first few years in the NFL I would say he was elite.

First off let me start by saying I agree with you. Last night the OL and DL were elite. played off the charts. I also agree UM has lacked true difference makers in 10-15 years but this could be two different conversations and comparing apples to oranges.

Lets see where those boys on Mich OL and DL end up in a few years. Say 5 years down the road and 2-3 guys on each side of the line just flame out, no one likely remembers them as elite, but here you crowned the OL/DL as elite . Me personally I wouldnt say guys like Feliciano or Linder were "elite" here but they were ultimately very good and looked worse here because the unit was not elite, and we did not win ishbut both of them went on to have very successful NFL careers and I think Linder signed the highest contract ever at the time for a C so at that time I would say he was an elite center.

That is where I think there is a breakdown in this analysis that you started your inquiry talking about the OL/DL group as a whole then parlayed that into individual players. An even better example, I think you would agree the 2000-2001 Hurricane OL was elite correct? Of course, we had elite players such as McKinnie (NFL and College) and Romberg (in college). But would you call Martin Bibla, Greg Laffere, or Sherko Haji-Rasouli elite? I would not personally but that GROUP was elite as you put it with Michigans.

Texas A&M is proof that compilling the top 247 roster is not enough to overcome ****** coaching and scheme. We have ****** scheme and coaching. Hence 12-13, but it extends well before Mario.
It absolutely pre-exists Mario.
Howard and Dennis offense, Jimmy defense. Jimmy (recruiting) and Dennis (tactics/scheme) also had amazing staffs.
Only elite players would be Phillips and Rousseau, though unfortunately didn’t play together. Difference makers, 1st rd and very good pros.

Washington WRs would be an example of an elite group.

Most surprising miss is we haven’t had an elite WR, let alone group.

OL group has potential to be elite.
Agree, though will say OL run blocking is merely good

Advertisement
Advertisement
Do you think some of this might be recency bias however with seeing Michigan? And are you referring to elite in college or elite as a whole career? For example I would say Reggie Bush was pretty **** elite in college but in the NFL he was decent, I would not put him in an elite NFL category. Jimmy Graham is the inverse, he was pretty mid to bad here for his one year but his first few years in the NFL I would say he was elite.

First off let me start by saying I agree with you. Last night the OL and DL were elite. played off the charts. I also agree UM has lacked true difference makers in 10-15 years but this could be two different conversations and comparing apples to oranges.

Lets see where those boys on Mich OL and DL end up in a few years. Say 5 years down the road and 2-3 guys on each side of the line just flame out, no one likely remembers them as elite, but here you crowned the OL/DL as elite . Me personally I wouldnt say guys like Feliciano or Linder were "elite" here but they were ultimately very good and looked worse here because the unit was not elite, and we did not win ishbut both of them went on to have very successful NFL careers and I think Linder signed the highest contract ever at the time for a C so at that time I would say he was an elite center.

That is where I think there is a breakdown in this analysis that you started your inquiry talking about the OL/DL group as a whole then parlayed that into individual players. An even better example, I think you would agree the 2000-2001 Hurricane OL was elite correct? Of course, we had elite players such as McKinnie (NFL and College) and Romberg (in college). But would you call Martin Bibla, Greg Laffere, or Sherko Haji-Rasouli elite? I would not personally but that GROUP was elite as you put it with Michigans.
Great post. I’m referring to college only. I think that units can be elite without an elite player though one to anchor the group is important.

Recency bias? Possibly, certainly Michigan is more group elite than individual elite.

We’ll see how UMich players do on the pro side.

Not talking just about recruiting. Give me one elite actual player besides Bain in the last 5 years
You are preaching to choir, it starts with recruiting. Every team needs talent but when miami gets talent they dont get developed atleast not to level that the talent they get..

Lol at some of these names. This is the same board that said we had 4 elite RBs this past off season though. Njoku was not elite. **** good, but not elite. If he was elite, what is Bowers?

Wouldn’t put Duke in elite category either. Phillips, yes. Rousseau? Wouldn’t argue it.
Buddy, you know me and you are on the same page

Advertisement
Back