What Does Elite Mean?

I mentioned after the Louisville game that Miami continues to lack difference makers, either individuals or position groups. I think that some Miami fans have forgotten what elite looks like, as that term gets thrown around a lot here. A fairly well known coach once told me you need 3 or 4 elite guys or 2 or 3 elite groups to truly have a shot at winning a championship.

Michigan had 2 elite groups, OL and DL.

Have we had 3 elite players or groups in the last 15 years combined?

Rb: Maybe Duke Johnson
TE: No
Wr: No
OL: OL
DE: Maybe one of Phillips or Rousseau
DT: No
LB: No
Corner: No
Safety: No

That’s 3 if I’m generous. In 15 years. Kind of shocking.

RB is the most egregious. We have a “stacked room”. No we don’t. We have a room full of decent backs.

Mario is raising the talent floor and that’s great. Bain looks like a difference maker. Mario is signing some big names too. But he has to remind Miami fans what elite players looks like. Because the talent deficit is far larger than most would like to admit.

**Coach was Mark Stoops**

Advertisement
I mentioned after the Louisville game that Miami continues to lack difference makers, either individuals or position groups. I think that some Miami fans have forgotten what elite looks like, as that term gets thrown around a lot here. A fairly well known coach once told me you need 3 or 4 elite guys or 2 or 3 elite groups to truly have a shot at winning a championship.

Michigan had 2 elite groups, OL and DL.

Have we had 3 elite players or groups in the last 15 years combined?

Rb: Maybe Duke Johnson
TE: No
Wr: No
OL: OL
DE: Maybe one of Phillips or Rousseau
DT: No
LB: No
Corner: No
Safety: No

That’s 3 if I’m generous. In 15 years. Kind of shocking.

RB is the most egregious. We have a “stacked room”. No we don’t. We have a room full of decent backs.

Mario is raising the talent floor and that’s great. Bain looks like a difference maker. Mario is signing some big names too. But he has to remind Miami fans what elite players looks like. Because the talent deficit is far larger than most would like to admit.

**Coach was Mark Stoops**
I would add that Michigan's secondary is also elite.

Advertisement
Lamar Miller
Ahmonn Richards
Jaelan Phillips
Denzel Perryman

Very good but not elite:

Duke Johnson
Artie Burns
Deon Bush
Jaquan Johnson
Allen Hurns
Seantrel Henderson
Jon Feliciano
Sheldrick Redwine
Reyshawn Jenkins
Greg Rousseau
Sean Spence

Lol yes the roster hasn’t been where it needs to be.

But at the end of the day, if you don’t have an elite head coach, nothing matters. And Mario is not it.

Since you want to bring up Michigan, please don’t ignore the fact that Harbaugh is their head coach and don’t ignore the massive success he had coming into Michigan.

Also, don’t ignore the fact that Michigan doesn’t recruit at the level of the elite programs. It’s almost as if coaching matters

Advertisement
Lol yes the roster hasn’t been where it needs to be.

But at the end of the day, if you don’t have an elite head coach, nothing matters. And Mario is not it.

Since you want to bring up Michigan, please don’t ignore the fact that Harbaugh is their head coach and don’t ignore the massive success he had coming into Michigan.

Also, don’t ignore the fact that Michigan doesn’t recruit at the level of the elite programs. It’s almost as if coaching matte

Check your DMs. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Lamar Miller
Ahmonn Richards
Jaelan Phillips
Denzel Perryman

Very good but not elite:

Duke Johnson
Artie Burns
Deon Bush
Jaquan Johnson
Allen Hurns
Seantrel Henderson
Jon Feliciano
Sheldrick Redwine
Reyshawn Jenkins
Greg Rousseau
Sean Spence
Good list

Point still stands

Advertisement
Advertisement
I would add that Michigan's secondary is also elite.
Was just coming to add this, heck you could say the entire defensive setup was/is elite. ELITE Baltimore system, ELITE DC Minter, Mikey Sainristil ELITE Nickle, Will Johnson ELITE 5 star corner, those LB were punishing also.

Michigan having elite lines on both sides makes everything else better, easier, etc.

When 4-5 guys can create havoc on the line it allows LB to roam and make plays and DB’s to play up and aggressive because they know they only have to defend for 2-3 seconds.

On the flip side when your OL is mailing people on runs everyone has to help which opens up the passing game. Then vice versa….when you have 5-6 seconds to throw that stresses every unit. Then to top it off by the 4th quarter the opposing DL and OL are worn out and tired and have no urge to tackle backs that are full steam downhill.

Michigan was very good across the board, very mature with Covid Super Seniors all over, and lines that imposed their will on you.

Advertisement
Back