What Are Your Expectations For 2024?

Advertisement
You definitely come from the "glass is half empty" crowd.
My glass is full… of bourbon, not kool aid. Saw my first Canes game in the OB as an undergrad in the mid ‘70’s so I’ve been through the ups and downs with the program. Mario is building his staff and his roster, and Miami is buying players for key spots, so that’s fine. But, I’ll wait and see,

This year will be different. Good record. The national talk will be:

1. Didn’t play Clemson
2. Weak schedule.

Advertisement
We went all-in with the portal with many projected starters. We have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and a fairly weak schedule this year. There’s no reason why we should not be in the ACC championship game this year and quite possibly a playoff spot. No excuses!

Advertisement
I think those of you that think playoffs are likely overdoing it. Playoff teams generally have years of foundation, development, and roster building. And they generally have lots of NFL talent. We can't say either one of those things about us. (Hopefully soon we can.)
Ward, Martinez, Rivers, Cooper, Mauigoa, Restrepo and Brown will all be drafted. George, Arroyo, Carpenter could with big seasons as well. That’s just offense.

Advertisement
Ward, Martinez, Rivers, Cooper, Mauigoa, Restrepo and Brown will all be drafted. George, Arroyo, Carpenter could with big seasons as well. That’s just offense.
I don't necessarily disagree. But, how many are 1-3 round picks? Some of these playoff teams of recent memory have been loaded with high level talent. I am hopeful that Maui and Bain are future 1-3 round guys but apart from them, how many guys do we have that are 1-3 guys? Even Washington which I found somewhat weaker than most playoff teams we've seen had 3 guys go in the top 20, 2 in the 2nd round, and 2 in the 3rd. TCU (similarly somewhat weaker) had 3 guys go in the top 3 rounds of 2023 (1 in each round).

I don't necessarily disagree. But, how many are 1-3 round picks? Some of these playoff teams of recent memory have been loaded with high level talent. I am hopeful that Maui and Bain are future 1-3 round guys but apart from them, how many guys do we have that are 1-3 guys? Even Washington which I found somewhat weaker than most playoff teams we've seen had 3 guys go in the top 20, 2 in the 2nd round, and 2 in the 3rd. TCU (similarly somewhat weaker) had 3 guys go in the top 3 rounds of 2023 (1 in each round).
we play in the weakest power conference in football (yes we are weaker THIS Year than the b12). clemson isnt close to what they were bc they dont embrace the portal and lose kids to the portal along with crap QB play post sunshine, FSU is losing a bulk of their best team since the Winston title team and we have them at home, UF is a joke, and UNC Duke NCSU all lost their QBs.

we play in the weakest power conference in football (yes we are weaker THIS Year than the b12). clemson isnt close to what they were bc they dont embrace the portal and lose kids to the portal along with crap QB play post sunshine, FSU is losing a bulk of their best team since the Winston title team and we have them at home, UF is a joke, and UNC Duke NCSU all lost their QBs.
Agreed. I said same thing earlier in this thread. However, when I compare this roster to what I've typically seen of playoff teams, there is a distinction between the rosters.

And so yeah, maybe we get in (particularly since the playoff expands this year), but IMO that may be based more on the relative weakness of the ACC and the rest of the NCAA than our own bona fides.

Anyways, I hope I'm wrong.

Advertisement
Prison Mike Norvell won 10 games (inc bowl) in this very conference in year 3. Mike Norvell - the lyin', cryin' Slingshot-ridin', cornrow-tryin', recruiting flunkin', from behind huggin' son of a gun.

If Mario can't win at least 9 regular season games, with this roster, with this QB, with this schedule, in this conference*, then I don't know when he will, and it might be time for him to transition to a Zo GM/recruiting coordinator role and just croot.

*barring some king ralph mass tragedy situation, or some new parasite that comes up through the port of miami and causes chronic cyclical dysentery every 7 days

Anything less than an ACC Championship and playoff win is s failure in my eyes.

It is time to step up and show the world we are contenders again.

Advertisement
Back