What about Jim Tessel?

FTR i'm not sure his personality and style is a good fit for miami capn jack

all true that he stresses fundamentals, ball control, typically fields a good defense, recruits well.

but his play calling is conservative to the point of being mind-numbing. and i guarantee you will have 4-5 relatives and in-laws on your coaching staff...which is always frustrating. honestly he was as stubborn at osu with his staff selection as golden has been. he would NOT fire his buddies/relatives, even when osu was getting destroyed in all those big games.

i'd pass if i were miami tbh, and i still dig the vest.

Advertisement
I believe is cause and that time period may be gone now. Were gonna go from the Tie to a Vest? Nah

well Tessell is proven and has won multiple NCs. Allan Folden is not in his league.

Pretty sure he cheated his way into one NC and that's it. Better than Al but not good enough for THE U. Coker won one too. He is a cheater caught by ncaa. If him then Butch -- who did not get a show cause.

Also, he better win fairly quickly because at some point we'd be under an NCAA investigation.

lol perhaps

got osu to the title game in year 2

7 top 5 finishes (AP) in 10 seasons. 5 BCS bowl wins, appearances in 3 others. he can coach...can't all be luck or a mistake.

I believe is cause and that time period may be gone now. Were gonna go from the Tie to a Vest? Nah

well Tessell is proven and has won multiple NCs. Allan Folden is not in his league.

Pretty sure he cheated his way into one NC and that's it. Better than Al but not good enough for THE U. Coker won one too. He is a cheater caught by ncaa. If him then Butch -- who did not get a show cause.

i don't get why you guys blame tressel for the PI call lol. weird.

Advertisement

He had NCAA issues at Youngstown St, too. He left there just in time.

Brought him up today to a higher up admin. I was literally laughed at.

Less than zero chance. They will sooner hire Pat Summitt to be the next head football coach than Jim Tressel. He lied during his NCAA issues and has a repeat history as a cheater and being a scummy person. His teams got into trouble, he had lower APR and graduation rates, and he lucked his way into his 2002 national championship and got smashed in the other two he appeared in. He'd also probably demand a bigger salary and another school would be more likely to take the stupid chance on him. And if the season continues to tank and Golden gets fired, it wont even matter because he's not even available. There is zero chance he will ever coach here.

The only coach that has NCAA issues, innocent or not, that the admin would be willing to overlook is Butch. He has a Show Cause issue which is worse than anything Butch was ever connected to. Anybody else with even a slight NCAA smudge is not going to happen.

Last edited:
We just need the administration to stop being such penny pinchers. It doesn't take a genius to realize you need to spend money to make money. If we make the investment and pay top dollar for a HC and a coaching staff, this team will return to prominence VERY quickly. As soon as that happens the stadium will fill up regularly and the cash money will be flowing like latinas on south beach. I honestly cannot believe how dumb the people that work in our athletic department are, it literally makes me sick. How does that even happen? Unreal.

I think all the big time coaches are cheaters though JJ, Switzer, Saban, Tessell, Meyer, Miles, even Butch Davis some get caught some don't

Advertisement

I think he won Div-2 national titles before going to ohio st.

I think he won Div-2 national titles before going to ohio st.

yeah. he won 4 at youngstown st but there was an improper benefits scandal that ended up getting nasty.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All I know is that in this day and age, if you're not cheatin' you're not tryin'. And Tressel put Ohio State in 3 title games. How many were they in in the 20 years prior? Genius Urban Meyer choked last year and again this year. I'm just sayin.

Advertisement
**** that, I'm from Youngstown. I told all my friends who were OSU fans what I thought about Tressel when they hired him. They all told me I was crazy, he was a well respected and good guy. Then all that **** went down with Pryor and they found out what a real piece of **** he was dating back to the Maurice clarett stuff and the **** at YSU. I hate that ******* guy worse than urban.

**** that, I'm from Youngstown. I told all my friends who were OSU fans what I thought about Tressel when they hired him. They all told me I was crazy, he was a well respected and good guy. Then all that **** went down with Pryor and they found out what a real piece of **** he was dating back to the Maurice clarett stuff and the **** at YSU. I hate that ******* guy worse than urban.

the free tattoos? yeah that was the most horrible thing ever.

He really wanted the gig back before Shannon was hired.

He was a candidate when Butch was hired, not Shannon.

I'd take him in a heart beat.

I believe you're mistaken. It was actually Coker I was thinking of (whom UM went with).

No. It was when we hired Davis. Dee had the deal done with Tressel, but his wife was scared to come to Miami so he backed out at the last second.

Advertisement
Back