What’s our chances as of now against Bammer…

If we're going to make this a game, the passing game must be clicking. Mississippi, Texas A&M and Florida were all able to light up their secondary last year. Lane was able to drop 48 points and 650 yards against them (too bad they gave up 61 points)
In fairness to Bama they were replacing Mayden, Carter, Diggs and McKinney from 2019 so there may have been some growing pains. We caught a break with Surtain departing early but Battle, Jobe, Hellams, Wright, Moore, Branch, McKinstry, Armour-Davis, Banks, Arnold easily form the top secondary in the nation imo. We've seen how our pass catchers have fared against above average DBs. They can't get separation. Mallory, Harley and Rambo is a decent nucleus but we'll have to get kind of creative. More creative than the gameplan against Clemson last year that's for sure.

Advertisement
Lol at the people pointing out tendencies from years ago when roster turnover in college football is so high. Also the comparisons to the season opener against LSU three years ago aren’t accurate either. That game was winnable. This one won’t be. I’d probably put our chances of winning at 10%. We can play great and still lose, that’s how big the talent gap is. Maybe they’re rusty, maybe their quarterback turns it over a few times in his first start. Then we can make it a game.

It sucks knowing this is probably the best team we’ve had in a while but we’re still likely getting smoked in week one. I still think we have a good shot at running the table after that so don’t give up on the season if we lose by 20.
Until proven otherwise, there is a legitimate chance Bama's D has at least 10 sacks/TFLs before halftime against our Canes' OL.

In fairness to Bama they were replacing Mayden, Carter, Diggs and McKinney from 2019 so there may have been some growing pains. We caught a break with Surtain departing early but Battle, Jobe, Hellams, Wright, Moore, Branch, McKinstry, Armour-Davis, Banks, Arnold easily form the top secondary in the nation imo. We've seen how our pass catchers have fared against above average DBs. They can't get separation. Mallory, Harley and Rambo is a decent nucleus but we'll have to get kind of creative. More creative than the gameplan against Clemson last year that's for sure.
Stop. Florida lit them up for over 400 yards passing in the SEC championship game. Their new 5 star players had the whole season to go growing pains.

Our guys will have to get better at beating man coverage but I think the receiver group is much better and more experienced than last year's. We won't have to watch Mark Pope get man handled at the line of scrimmage for 60 plays this season. Even if the offense brings their A game, there's no guarantee that we can still our score them. We will have to get creative and exploit them wherever we can.

Until proven otherwise, there is a legitimate chance Bama's D has at least 10 sacks/TFLs before halftime against our Canes' OL.
It's entirely possible. Still, I'd prefer our chances in a shootout than relying on the defense to shut them down.

Advertisement
Stop. Florida lit them up for over 400 yards passing in the SEC championship game. Their new 5 star players had the whole season to go growing pains.

Our guys will have to get better at beating man coverage but I think the receiver group is much better and more experienced than last year's. We won't have to watch Mark Pope get man handled at the line of scrimmage for 60 plays this season. Even if the offense brings their A game, there's no guarantee that we can still our score them. We will have to get creative and exploit them wherever we can.
If we had Pitts and Toney going for 300 plus yards combined I would like our chances better.

They put they pads on the same way we do. I expect us to be competitive in this opener. I don’t expect king to be overwhelming and I don’t expect our oline to be dominated in this matchup. I’ll be there in Atlanta
When I read your first sentence there it made me think of Dan Patrick's pretty good impersonation of effing Lou Holthhhz.

If we had Pitts and Toney going for 300 plus yards combined I would like our chances better.
Kenny Yeboah and Elijah Moore combined for 324 against them so anything is possible, I guess.

I still don't think we have much of a chance. I'm just giving examples of what Miami will have to do if they're going to win. Ridiculous efforts like this will be needed.

Kenny Yeboah and Elijah Moore combined for 324 against them so anything is possible, I guess.

I still don't think we have much of a chance. I'm just giving examples of what Miami will have to do if they're going to win. Ridiculous efforts like this will be needed.
Yeah, they can be had for yards but they have talent in that secondary, trust me those are NFL DBs in Battle, Moore and Jobe. I'm more afraid of what they can do to our OL up front, esp in the middle.

The funny thing is all those games they gave up those yards, they still won them ALL. I actually expect them to be better on D this year but that Young kid has a hose, he is no slouch.

Advertisement
Yeah, they can be had for yards but they have talent in that secondary, trust me those are NFL DBs in Battle, Moore and Jobe. I'm more afraid of what they can do to our OL up front, esp in the middle.

The funny thing is all those games they gave up those yards, they still won them ALL. I actually expect them to be better on D this year but that Young kid has a hose, he is no slouch.
Sure they allowed some points to some super high-octane offenses featuring top NFL draft picks while breaking in a new secondary, but they're pretty easily the best defense in the nation in 2021 when you consider they return 8 starters and 4/5s of their backfield. Anderson is a terrorizer off the edge and there's some dudes on that DL. I saw Jobe recently in the grove and that dude is rocked-up for a 25 year-old. I don't know who our outside WRs will be but they'll have their hands full. I like the nucleus of King, Harris, Harley, Rambo, Mallory against teams not called Alabama.

Sure they allowed some points to some super high-octane offenses featuring top NFL draft picks while breaking in a new secondary, but they're pretty easily the best defense in the nation in 2021 when you consider they return 8 starters and 4/5s of their backfield. Anderson is a terrorizer off the edge and there's some dudes on that DL. I saw Jobe recently in the grove and that dude is rocked-up for a 25 year-old. I don't know who our outside WRs will be but they'll have their hands full. I like the nucleus of King, Harris, Harley, Rambo, Mallory against teams not called Alabama.
I think they will ride that veteran D vs us and not ask Young to do a lot but I expect him to take some deep shots to Metchie so let's see what Stevenson is all about Game 1. I figure they run the ball with decent success and make King throw outside to try to beat em.

Truth be told the biggest mismatch in this game is not their #1 recruiting classes year after vs. our classes, it is Saban vs Manny.

It's entirely possible. Still, I'd prefer our chances in a shootout than relying on the defense to shut them down.
You make an excellent point.

Under the current rule sets (IMHO), defenses simply can't consistently stop offenses that can execute at even an above average level. Penalty bias, no contact rules, no-fault tackling flags, etc. The rules have exceeded defender's physical/mental capabilities.

Thats why OLs and DLs, in today's game, have become the single most important units on the field. EVERYTHING starts with, and is enabled by, their play (or lack thereof).

Miami's chance to beat Bama (any team for that matter) is in the ability to keep the offense on the field and the opponent's offense off it. The foundational factor to that is OL play.

If Bama scores 50, my guess is the majority of blame will lie with our Canes O inability to get first downs, not the Ds fault of getting the Tide off the field with stops.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We would need several players to have the kind of games Edge had against UCLA and ST had against Rix in Tally.

So Bama and the Under is the bet
You make an excellent point.

Under the current rule sets (IMHO), defenses simply can't consistently stop offenses that can execute at even an above average level. Penalty bias, no contact rules, no-fault tackling flags, etc. The rules have exceeded defender's physical/mental capabilities.

Thats why OLs and DLs, in today's game, have become the single most important units on the field. EVERYTHING starts with, and is enabled by, their play (or lack thereof).

Miami's chance to beat Bama (any team for that matter) is in the ability to keep the offense on the field and the opponent's offense off it. The foundational factor to that is OL play.

If Bama scores 50, my guess is the majority of blame will lie with our Canes O inability to get first downs, not the Ds fault of getting the Tide off the field with stops.
If we give up 50 I blame the ENTIRE TEAM,COACHING STAFF, AD'S OFFICE & JANITORIAL STAFF.

Advertisement
New QB, new OC, new OL coach, and replacing talent across the board. If there was ever a time Bama was vulnerable it will be against us. We will be by the far the more experienced team.
Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Back