What’s our chances as of now against Bammer…

Advertisement
it's hard to be optimistic when saban just won a title he doesn't get complacent them boys will be ready 9/4 i'll take canes +spread and not an embarrassment on natty tv and im gucci

I’m just messing brother. It will be a tough task.

Chances are obviously little to none, but I would rather play them game 1 of the season after losing so much to the draft, especially on offense where timing and experience is most important. I think the question should be what needs to happen for us to stand a chance to not get crushed.

The following needs to happen:
-King come back nearly 100% (seriously, 98%+) and having worked with his WRs and TEs enough to get timing down
-OLine needs to be straight maulers (we are looking better but it is an attitude thing here too)
-Cheney needs to make it back and go off along with Knighton
-Mallory needs a complimentary mirror to allow for mismatches and use his size to his advantage/matchup
-6 & 8 don’t see the field and freshman
WRs contribute significantly
-DLine needs to be in Young’s face when he throws and need to hold the line on the run and cause the plays to bounce outside of tackles
-Corners need to give NO daylight for Young to find a receiver
-Young needs to get lit up by a LB or Striker to take away the QB run
-D needs to wrap up on contact and not have kids bouncing off of them by trying to home run hit
-Need at least 3 turnovers on D
-Hedley needs to be Hedley
-Little Borregales needs to be perfect
-Kick/punt return teams need to gain positive ground every time and have a couple of breakout runs to flip field position
-Finally, team needs to grow a pair and believe that they are given an opportunity to shock the world that would immediately change their narrative and actually execute. They need to show up for the moment, not only during the week of practice leading up to the game, but right at kickoff until the end of 4 quarters

If they manage to check all of these boxes, we may be able to keep it close.

Last edited:
There's no secret to what their going to do.
D- Press our receivers and get to the QB.
O- Test our LB'ers. Runnit, runnit, runnit.............pass.

We'll know after the first 2 possessions where this game will go.
I think the spread is about right. Got a feeling it will be 17 1/2 by game time.

Chances?
About 6.66%, or,
1 in 15.

Time for Aristide to earn his paycheck. Watching the spring game, we have BIG communication problems at LB.... dudes not communicating with LB's and the DE's and running in to the wrong gaps not fitting the run correctly. Between Guard and LB, I don't know which is the worst position group on the field but it's one of those two.

Also really terrible eye discipline all over the defense. Dudes just staring in to the backfield and letting dudes run right by them not even aware, that's got to get fixed.

Offense looked better than I expected though, except the guards, they look like dog****. Especially Clark.

And then we dont' play with enough effort. WRs jogging around instead of blocking. Defense not swarming to the ball on every play. Just basic ****.

We have the players to make it a game with Alabama but we make too many mental mistakes man. Can't be sleeping when you're playing Alabama. Not even talking about scheme, just basic football ****. Most frustrating thing about watching Miami year after year.

My heart says we will lose by 7-10 pts. Head says 17-20. Really depends on Kings health and our ability to slow Bama down/turn them over. I will say that if we can make some big special teams plays and turn them over (we have capitalize on the TOs) we may be able to shock the world.

Advertisement
Looking back at about 1600 college games over 16 years where a team has been favored by about 19 points we have about a 6 in 100 chance of winning. True story.

But I will tell you ,from a much smaller sample size ,that you always take the points 1st game of the year when one team has an overwhelming advantage in returning starters.

They put they pads on the same way we do. I expect us to be competitive in this opener. I don’t expect king to be overwhelming and I don’t expect our oline to be dominated in this matchup. I’ll be there in Atlanta

we are playing the biggest cheating organization in all of organized sports

they have like 20 head coaches on that squad

on top of that they are better at every single position and deeper, oh AND they'll have the refs on their side

I'm not even gonna begin getting my hopes up

Advertisement
the outcome will be as simple as the running game. They will run the ball down the throats of our front 7, and they'll stop our run game Pretty easily. To’oto’o is more than legit. He’s all American caliber and might look like the best player on the field when we play them

Zero chance.

I just want the offense to function like a well oiled machine from play 1, and no injuries.

Defense will be the same as UNC last year.

Advertisement
Look, I just want to see what fellow canes think of our chances to win this game. I’m a die hard Cane but also know football. I thought we had a chance against Clemson last year….nope. I’m still optimistic though, I think we’ll be better this year. Talk to me what y’all think.
10% we have manure and rhett

It would take an epic bad game of calling plays by O’Brien; which ironically he’s capable of doing more often than not. It’s Bama’s rushing attack that scares the **** out of me. If, IF we hold them @200yds on the ground this game will be closer than people are thinking. That said, Baga has 100% BCR to our 73% starters wise. We’ve made up considerable ground on the have’s, but I think their talent will be just too much for us to manage. Yet, something can be said on experience, especially in college football.

Advertisement
I say 50/50, legit.

No way we should get blown out. We have the age, talent (on paper), system in place, and we’re playing against a young, Bama team. No way we shouldn’t, AT A MINIMUM, make this game respectable. If I see another LSU type performance in 2018, Imma be ****ed. They have a scrawny *** Freshman QB that we should be smoking at every chance! Their star RB is now in the NFL! Both star WRs gone! Lost 2 big pieces to the OL!

We return **** near everyone, except, Brevin, Phillips, Rochè, and “technically” Rousseau.
-The entire OL (ALL VETS) are back.
-QB (Super Vet) back.
-RB (1 Vet, 2 pups) back.
-2nd star TE (Vet) back.
-All WRs + a former future star WR (Rambo) back (All Vets)
-2ndary (All Vets w/ the exception of Tyrique)
-LBs (All Vets....oy vey)
-DL (3/4 Vets)

No F’ing excuses!

I say 50/50, legit.

No way we should get blown out. We have the age, talent (on paper), system in place, and we’re playing against a young, Bama team. No way we shouldn’t, AT A MINIMUM, make this game respectable. If I see another LSU type performance in 2018, Imma be ****ed. They have a scrawny *** Freshman QB that we should be smoking at every chance! Their star RB is now in the NFL! Both star WRs gone! Lost 2 big pieces to the OL!

We return **** near everyone, except, Brevin, Phillips, Rochè, and “technically” Rousseau.
-QB (Super Vet) back.
-2nd star TE (Vet) back.
-DL (3/4 Vets)

No F’ing excuses!
I love the enthusiasm. What I always come back to is us having to play a perfect game in order to make this competitive. Everything has to go right; our front 7 has to stop their run game and pressure homie or else the veteran advantage we do have in the secondary means nothing. The OL has to execute against what will be one of the best defenses in the country. Lashlee has to be creative with the play-calling.

I say 50/50, legit.

-QB (Super Vet) back.
-2nd star TE (Vet) back.
-DL (3/4 Vets)

No F’ing excuses!

Love it. **** of a post.

And that LSU game everyone always points to, we more than anything beat ourselves. We know what 2019 LSU turned into, but they weren't that good in 2018. I think we had a penalty on just about every drive, Bandy gets kicked out immediately, the QB play was absolutely terrible (shocker) with a pick 6, we get a kick blocked, and Feagles was comically bad.

When you say "if I see another LSU performance", for me, that means just playing your D- game. We know Rosier was a D- QB, so that doesn't help, but the rest of the team was terrible that night too. I just want to see us play a good, fundamental, smart game. No kicks blocked. Hedley booming 50 yarders. A reliable FG kicker. No guys getting kicked out. No pre-snap penalties. No post-play penalties. No dropped passes. You know, the things we can control. If we go out there and play smart ball and guys catch and tackle and we don't give them anything totally unforced and they whip our ***, so be it. But just for once I want to see a game like this where we go play our A game or at worst like a B+ game. I know that's asking a lot in Game 1, but literally the ENTIRE team is back. This is more like Game 12 than it is Game 1, literally the whole staff and whole roster is back, minus Brevin and the edge kids.

So, just play well. Block, tackle, and catch. Make easy plays. Don't jump offsides on 4th and 2. Don't have 22 yard punts. I think if we do that, I see no reason why this game can't be close in the 4th quarter. I expect their defense to be better, but there is NO WAY their offense can be as good, especially in Week 1. Remember, they were only up 7 on Ole Miss last year at the end of the 3rd quarter. They were losing to Georgia at the half. They were only beating the gator by 4 at the end of the 3rd, and wound up giving up 46 points. In the same stadium we're playing them in. Nobody is saying 2020 Bama is one of the best teams ever, and they just lost 6 first rounders off that squad. It's doable to play them close, but for Christ's sake, for once, just go out and play some good football. If we don't have many mistakes and lose by 4 scores, I'll tip my cap. But go toe-to-toe with them and see what happens, don't just give them the game before it really gets started like we always seem to do in these spots.

outside of all the above for me the questions are:

1) How ready will King be?

2) who on our offense is blocking Will Anderson and Chris Allen? Anderson is a future top 5 pick? Will Zion be matched up on him? Both are very good.

3) Has Donaldson progressed into the potential he initially arrived with here? He better because their d line will have Mathis, Ray, Tim Smith is a monster, Dale, young, and Egoibe. They go 2 deep. Snith and Dale are huge advantages over Gaynor.

4) can we run on and then and can Lashlee keep their linebackers guessing? They have the top core returning. Lashlee cannot get cute and needs to stay aggressive. Mallory needs to have the game of his life (most do).

5) is our secondary ready for Metchie, Billingsley and whomever new surprises will play a lot? It could be Agiye Hall, Slate bolden, Trae Holden, Leary, Jones-Bell, the OSU transfer, and the breakout tight end Latu. They have a lot of talent but it’s unproven.

6) Will Bob Shoop help provide a great game plan against them? I know he’s slowed them down before in the past (2018).

7) will the loss of major talent on the d line catch up to us this year? Specifically defensive end. If McCloud is starting and playing a lot then the concern goes up a lot. How have Silvera, Miller, etc progressed on the interior?

8) how much have our linebackers progressed? They have primarily sucked, though partly it’s had to do with crappy defensive scheming and undisciplined dline play.

Advertisement
Back