Well, well, well....

To compare this search with the “search” which resulted in Manny’s hiring is asinine and is detached from the reality of the situation. Like the hire or not they are not comparable. I’ve stated the negligence step for step in the Manny hire enough and won’t go into it again. Coupled with this you had some voices in and around the program who had at least a small bit of decision makers’ ears making ridiculous suggestions of nostalgic former coordinators and others. Fortunately our president pulled out his pair and did not repeat the mistake made a few years prior. Asinine to compare the two.

Make all the arguments against the hire all you want, this is the place to make them. But I’ll counter your argument as well. We hired a coach who managed a roughly .750 winning percentage in 4 seasons at Oregon (not counting the bowl game he stepped in for). That’s coming off Helfrich winning either 3 or 4 games in his last season and Taggart barely cracking .500 before he split. If I had my guess I’d say we’re running close to and just above .500 the last 15 years or so. I’m also not so sure I understand this reference of him putting on this tough guy persona or however it was articulated. That’s no show, that’s who he is. I’ve said it before. It’s not hard to get in his doghouse but he always gives a chance to get out. He’s fair but he’s a hard son of a gun. Exactly one of the many things this program needs. He can publicly state what he wants. There’s coddled guys on this squad who are not and will not respond well to his way which is a big reason why we are where we are.

How many NY6 bowls have we played in the last 15 years? You hired a coach who went to 2 in 4 seasons. Couple those achievements with being designated as an assistant head coach with the greatest college coach of all time in the stop prior and I’d say you’ve got a decent candidate. By some opinions on here it seems as if he shouldn’t have been considered. And oh yeah he’s got a couple rings here as a player as well. Not necessary but doesn’t hurt.

To argue he was not the top or top three of candidates, whether you spent two weeks or two months looking is erroneous. This program needed, and I’ll use the terminology of another poster, a massive *****. Quite frankly I don’t believe that would have come with a guy like Lane Kiffin. Couple that with the belief he would have moved on sooner than later and it was deemed risky at best. I tend to agree with that myself. I respect Lane tremendously because he’s taken the self imposed knocks through the years and changed his ways a great deal. Reality is he’s been a high maintenance pain at more than one stop.

I’ll eat crow a few years from now if I’m wrong but I don’t believe I am. The big test will be what he does offensively moving forward. I’ll simply say I have a good gut feeling there will be a major adjustment as far as that goes. Keep your heads up. Pain is temporary.

Advertisement
We're at the point in Mario's tenure where some of the fanbase think he's the root of every problem and is destined to fail. Three problems with that line of thinking:

1. Mario will be here for 4-5 years at the least. He's not going anywhere.
  2. This roster isn't where it needs to be, and it's a big reason why we're performing the way we are. We don't have a lot of leaders on this team. Lots of these guys are more concerned with Instagram and clout than with winning. You saw it with our old teams and the elite teams of today, in that they hated to lose. Our guys are used to losing and don't care.
  3. We need a major roster turnover via recruiting and the portal. We've had 20 years of cultural rot, most of these players are too far gone to buy into a new one.
If we're in Year 3 of Mario and the issues of today are still present, I'll agree with his critics. However, it's easier to blame one guy as the root of every problem rather than acknowledge the long rebuild that's ahead. There's no silver bullet or coaching hire that turns us around in a year. Not with the disaster that Manny and two decades of coaches have left us.

I think the OP makes an excellent point that even after the firing of James for it, the admin did not learn from the stupid af hiring of Diaz with no coaching search. Just like Manny, there didn’t seem to be any kind of objective analysis of the options from a football and business perspective. It was well reported it was Mario or bust, and while Lane was interested???? JFC. What that tells you is exactly what the OP is saying, it’s all about connections and politics and optics with this admin and not making sound business decisions.

Mario now being here for minimum 4 years is irrelevant to these criticisms. Yes, we’re stuck with him and hopefully it works out regardless. But it’s hard to be optimistic when the problem clearly starts even higher than him. Sofl banana republic entitlement culture ******* sucks.

Advertisement
We're at the point in Mario's tenure where some of the fanbase think he's the root of every problem and is destined to fail. Three problems with that line of thinking:

2. This roster isn't where it needs to be, and it's a big reason why we're performing the way we are. We don't have a lot of leaders on this team. Lots of these guys are more concerned with Instagram and clout than with winning. You saw it with our old teams and the elite teams of today, in that they hated to lose. Our guys are used to losing and don't care.
  3. We need a major roster turnover via recruiting and the portal. We've had 20 years of cultural rot, most of these players are too far gone to buy into a new one.
If we're in Year 3 of Mario and the issues of today are still present, I'll agree with his critics. However, it's easier to blame one guy as the root of every problem rather than acknowledge the long rebuild that's ahead. There's no silver bullet or coaching hire that turns us around in a year. Not with the disaster that Manny and two decades of coaches have left us.
I’m agree with the crux of your post. But Mario has not done himself any favors. He has amplified the concerns about his coaching philosophy and his weak points. Sure some of these are exasperated by the poor roster construction of the previous staff but there are a ton of issues that could’ve been fixed.

This season lies in the middle with the blame for me. This reminds me a lot of what happened with FSU and Taggart. Wildly inept coach that did a lot of bad evaluations and roster construction. Now Mario has to pick up the pieces. The problem is he hasn’t done anything to make it easier on himself.

The only positive I take from this year. Parish, Young, Mesidor. Probably our three best players. All guys Mario brought in. If his evaluations are better the bottom line of the roster will improve.

People keep saying this

This team is WORSE than when Manny was here

You can make all the nitpick excuses and blame whomever you want I guess, but the fact that we have gotten worse is the fault of the guy at the top

And that’s Mario

I don’t think he’s a worse coach than Manny in any way shape or form, but this constant “rebuild” “culture” **** is nauseating to keep reading

Even in our most desperate rebuild phases we shouldn’t be getting our asses kicked by MTSU, Duke etc

I
Who cares what that SEC/Sabag **** slobberer thinks. He’s nothing more than a talking head and butt ugly one at that.
I echo those sentiments. Nothing like having an unathletic 125lb flea bag jock sniffer making evaluations.

On a more important note. I love the comment of just how highly touted this roster was coming into the season. If I remember correctly you had Zion who’s barely played, Mallory, and maybe Hedley as preseason all ACC team members as far as ACC coaches and media went and 7-8 1st through 3rd team preseason all ACC guys on PFF. I’m trying to understand how some can have this perception of a loaded roster. It’s not rationale. Couple that with the unbalanced, 12 year old creating a team on PS3 NCAA football recruiting method Manny had and I’m truly dumbfounded.

I’m a broken record but I’ll say it again. You have 1 NFL caliber corner, a few fringe guys at that level on the d-line, 1 promising LB who’s a true frosh and showed flashes, and a safety group that’s woefully underperformed as far as assignments and tackling go. Right now you have a bunch of unprovens and undesirables, with few exceptions on the o-line, not one game breaker in the backfield (who’s played this season), and a now injured starting QB who with two exceptions developed as much chemistry in the off-season with his WR group as Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe had.

It’s either beer goggles with a hopeful fan base expecting more than what’s there, or casual outside observers who don’t watch enough to really know.

Advertisement
the good things about idiots that pop up to "humbly" tell you how right they were/are is that those idiots are usually right only as of a point in time. And that point in time is usually extremely premature. Look at how many people here wrote about how Kirby Smart was no upgrade over Richt and how he couldn't win a **** thing....... Or how Ryan Day was just winning with Meyer's players. And they were right until they weren't. Similar pattern seems to be happening with Harbaugh now. And with Brian Kelly who won't win a thing at LSU.......lets see how that plays out.

But when things change and they are wrong, they rarely come back and say a **** thing. So you are right for now......lets see how it goes.

To compare this search with the “search” which resulted in Manny’s hiring is asinine and is detached from the reality of the situation. Like the hire or not they are not comparable. I’ve stated the negligence step for step in the Manny hire enough and won’t go into it again. Coupled with this you had some voices in and around the program who had at least a small bit of decision makers’ ears making ridiculous suggestions of nostalgic former coordinators and others. Fortunately our president pulled out his pair and did not repeat the mistake made a few years prior. Asinine to compare the two.

Make all the arguments against the hire all you want, this is the place to make them. But I’ll counter your argument as well. We hired a coach who managed a roughly .750 winning percentage in 4 seasons at Oregon (not counting the bowl game he stepped in for). That’s coming off Helfrich winning either 3 or 4 games in his last season and Taggart barely cracking .500 before he split. If I had my guess I’d say we’re running close to and just above .500 the last 15 years or so. I’m also not so sure I understand this reference of him putting on this tough guy persona or however it was articulated. That’s no show, that’s who he is. I’ve said it before. It’s not hard to get in his doghouse but he always gives a chance to get out. He’s fair but he’s a hard son of a gun. Exactly one of the many things this program needs. He can publicly state what he wants. There’s coddled guys on this squad who are not and will not respond well to his way which is a big reason why we are where we are.

How many NY6 bowls have we played in the last 15 years? You hired a coach who went to 2 in 4 seasons. Couple those achievements with being designated as an assistant head coach with the greatest college coach of all time in the stop prior and I’d say you’ve got a decent candidate. By some opinions on here it seems as if he shouldn’t have been considered. And oh yeah he’s got a couple rings here as a player as well. Not necessary but doesn’t hurt.

To argue he was not the top or top three of candidates, whether you spent two weeks or two months looking is erroneous. This program needed, and I’ll use the terminology of another poster, a massive *****. Quite frankly I don’t believe that would have come with a guy like Lane Kiffin. Couple that with the belief he would have moved on sooner than later and it was deemed risky at best. I tend to agree with that myself. I respect Lane tremendously because he’s taken the self imposed knocks through the years and changed his ways a great deal. Reality is he’s been a high maintenance pain at more than one stop.

I’ll eat crow a few years from now if I’m wrong but I don’t believe I am. The big test will be what he does offensively moving forward. I’ll simply say I have a good gut feeling there will be a major adjustment as far as that goes. Keep your heads up. Pain is temporary.
God i hope so. We all expected much better. Another year of Canes in the cesspool.

the good things about idiots that pop up to "humbly" tell you how right they were/are is that those idiots are usually right only as of a point in time. And that point in time is usually extremely premature. Look at how many people here wrote about how Kirby Smart was no upgrade over Richt and how he couldn't win a **** thing....... Or how Ryan Day was just winning with Meyer's players. And they were right until they weren't. Similar pattern seems to be happening with Harbaugh now. And with Brian Kelly who won't win a thing at LSU.......lets see how that plays out.

But when things change and they are wrong, they rarely come back and say a **** thing. So you are right for now......lets see how it goes.
D41B7D94-0E03-42B5-B994-74677CB89DB1.jpeg

Almost your entire post is more vibes-based coach evaluation. Miami fans do not care about coaching ability. They care about how the coach looks and speaks. That's pretty much it.

Advertisement
Almost your entire post is more vibes-based coach evaluation. Miami fans do not care about coaching ability. They care about how the coach looks and speaks. That's pretty much it.
I’m not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean, makes zero sense and baseless from what I can gather. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion even if it’s baseless and rooted in frustration. Again, the choice of hire is understandably different for some. The process and what happened is not up for debate, nor are statistical facts.

I’m not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean, makes zero sense and baseless from what I can gather. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion even if it’s baseless and rooted in frustration. Again, the choice of hire is understandably different for some. The process and what happened is not up for debate, nor are statistical facts.
Have you ever had a conversation with someone and halfway through you start to realize the other person has no clue what they're talking about and might be missing a little something upstairs?

That's where you're at in that conversation.

Advertisement
I was unjustly banned for six months because I said in a few threads that Mario Cristobal hadnt showed anything meaningful on the trail yet and wasn‘t a big time coach. I was accused of trolling, but I wasn't.

The offseason Cristobal suckfest was the most despicable thing I’ve ever seen as a Miami fan. 90% of the fanbase was ready to anoint the guy for the same reasons they crowned Diaz, just in a slightly different way. Cristobal was doing the fake tough guy stuff and the fans and media ate it up. Meanwhile, we had just hired a coach without doing an actual COACHING SEARCH for the second consecutive time. And we hired a guy whose resume did not justify his hiring whatsoever. He had average success at Oregon, a far superior program. But he has no X and O ability or proven ability to take lesser talent and win games. He coached under Saban for years and could never get a gig coordinating there--so he had to become a "co" offensive coordinator under WILLIE TAGGART. Yet Miami fans thought this guy was incredible.

Miami has crappy talent as I have been correctly saying for years, but the problem isn't recruiting. The problem is that Miami repeatedly hires coaches who have no proven ability to take a certain product and then make it better, based upon the delusional belief that Miami has some specific and unique "culture" that others just "don't get." This is why Miami hires clowns like Wario and Diaz. Football is secondary, vibes are the most important thing.

Miami will return to being a somewhat competitive P5 program when they stop thinking they are a unique program that doesn't have to hire good X and O coaches. This has been the Miami MO for years. Since Miami already missed the boat on Kiffin (an actual coach), my hope is that they hire a boring graybeard coach with zero connections to the program who can actually get the players do basic things correctly and win 8 or 9 games a year, and then build from there. Cristobal isn't going to win anything here--his "recruiting ability" is meaningless because he can't compete on the field and he was always overrated as a recruiter too.
who framed roger rabbit crying GIF

**** and you
My apologies if you thought this was directed at you. It wasn’t. This was directed at those you were describing in your post. I agree with your assessment of the idiots that pop up on here with hot takes and are never heard from again when their takes prove to be ****.

Advertisement
Back