Welcome to the Canes, Derrick Smith

Advertisement

i guess Gibson & Carter are "JAGS" ALSO....

Smith has better ball skills then both and hits just as hard if not harder then both....

so i guess we have 3 "JAGS" at safety u CLOWN !
Don't know why he is a clown? I being hopeful here but outside of Amari who isn't that rangy, I dont see much in these guys. Think amari could be a stud though. Bottom line is that we need to do better in terms of talent, plain and simple. Hope Im wrong but Ive seen this movie over and over again the last decade or so. Posters hype players just because they committed to Miami not because there is that much reason to hype them.

you want a rangy ball hawk in the back end..

That's what UM has been missing and needs

Hopefully Jeff james is the answer.He looked like a TRUE ball hawk in his SR film

You do, Im just not sure I see one yet. We have some hopefuls, but nobody has been able to put it 100% together. R Jenkins had the range but was a terrible tackler.

Don't know if he needs a redshirt, kid will be a terror on special teams from day one and will surprise a lot of you guys.

I love our Safety class, and IMO it is severely underrated.

IMO all 3 safety commits deserve 4stars.

Smith would be a 4star Safety if he would have qualified sooner with the exposure his HS gets.

Carter is nasty and IMO definitely a 4star, and Gibson is a beast too, who I feel is underrated as well with a high ceiling.

Put it this way, I would take any 3 of these Safeties over Romeo Finley if they were in the same class and Romeo was a 4star.

I'm glad Romeo is a Cane, but way more excited about these 3.

Last edited:
[video]https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2809285/57d817e8dfe29964f00ed6a5[/video]

Watch that ^^^^ highlight and then tell me if this kid is still a JAG.

Some of you don't know ****

Still a JAG.

His film reminds me of Rayshawn Jenkins.

Rayshawn Jenkins is a JAG.

Advertisement
Don't know if he needs a redshirt, kid will be a terror on special teams from day one and will surprise a lot of you guys.

I love our Safety class, and IMO it is severely underrated.

IMO all 3 safety commits deserve 4stars.

Smith would be a 4star Safety if he would have qualified sooner with the exposure his HS gets.

Carter is nasty and IMO definitely a 4star, and Gibson is a beast too, who I feel is underrated as well with a high ceiling.

smith issue was apparently grades like you said. they obviously thought he was good enough that they wanted him over collier who this board loves.

Still a JAG.

Well, then you must be one of those people I mentioned...

Kid is way better than Rayshawn Jenkins coming out of HS.

But keep hating on the kid, you will be singing a different tune in a few years.

Still a JAG.

Jenkins that has 200 plus tackles 9 ints in his career at Miami? Jenkins has been one of miamis better safeties since Kenny Phillips left... his production exceeded deon bush's if we being honest..

Advertisement

Still a JAG.

Well, then you must be one of those people I mentioned...

Kid is way better than Rayshawn Jenkins coming out of HS.

But keep hating on the kid, you will be singing a different tune in a few years.

No he's not WAY better than anyone. Lol.

Dude is a future LB.

You must be a relative of his.

Based on the highlight package, he is a good sized kid who looks like a hitter and a playmaker, but he doesn't look very fast to me. He looks more like a linebacker to me. What is his 40 time?

Last edited:
The more I watch of him, the more I get a sense that folks are sleeping on him. People were aware of the grades situation, and wrote him off as Juco, but he will Ball his RS Freshman Year. (Just a hunch)

Not a relative at all, just know good football when I see it, and even if he outgrows Safety (never know how some of these kids might grow) he will make a **** of an OLB/S hybrid like Grace that Diaz likes to use in his system. Remember Grace played S in HS too.

Please go back and compare Rayshawn's HS highlights to the ones I just posted and honestly say that Smith isn't a better prospect.

Smith is a violent player and those are my favorite on defense.

No need for anymore back and forth, if you truly don't see it, then you will be pleasantly surprised in a few years.

This kid is way better than Collier who we were considering offering until Smith who we have been on for over a year for good reason qualified.

Also Smith's coach said he is already a legit 6'3 205, so like I said, we don't know how he might grow, but adding a violent player like Smith to our defense can only be looked at as a positive IMO.

Advertisement
Context seems to escape the thought process of many Canes fans. Regardless of Smith's potential (always like a safety who plays WR too), dogging on Jenkins seems unwarranted.

Facts:
Produced stats at the position
If he was so bad, somebody else would have played (but guess what they didn't have a better option)
Played three years under questionable at best coaching
At one time had a career threatening back issue/injury (so again extrapolating that it would stand to reason it probably had some effect on production)

All withstanding I am not saying Jenkins was anything better than average, but using a player with all of the above to consider is not a good measuring stick. Instead, just watch the tape and see what skills Smith has and judge that considering the team he played on and the competition.

Safety is the least of this classes concerns. All comes down to WR/CB/OL.

Last edited:
The only issue I see with him his he goes for the knockout hit and against beast rba, wrs and the if they don't go down they may go all the way. Banda has to get him to know when to go for those hits and when he needs to just wrap up

Advertisement
What the stats on Jenkins don't show are all the errors in critical games. You can be productive and still not be good.

If you don't know how to tackle you wouldn't understand why I said that is his biggest con. But as a poster already stated coaching will get that corrected.

rayshawn jenkins has been our best safety in the last 4 years. Not sure why he is always brought up. He was slightly above average,and had good ball skills.

Rayshawn and this kid other than both playing wr and db have no other similarities.

Rayshawn was a way better wr in high school than Smith, but Smith is wayyyyyy more violent and a better tackler.

Smith is a good take regardless who is around. At worst he makes our specials better. Romeo Finley looked good on specials this year..im expecting a similar path for Smith..IMO Smith has a higher ceiling.

Advertisement
Back